Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How do you like the Canon Digital Rebel Xt ? (aka EOS 350D) ..  (Read 7802 times)

Offline ljsurfer2002

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
SSIA ...

I really want to buy one of these bad boys to do weddings .. I have a 28mm f/2.8 fixed, a 50mm f/1.8 fixed, and a cheap-o 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6 lense too ... I have shot with a EOS Ellan II for about 6 years now and i'd like to buy a digital Canon SLR body to go with my lenses to shoot all these wedding gigs I get. I've rented the Canon EOS 10D .. it's pretty good .. I'm hoping to rent the 20D soon... But i'd rather get the Rebel Xt plus a $500 lense then just the cost of the body-only 20D ... Any thoughts?

Tyler
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive: http://www.archive.org/details/etree please PM me and/or send an e-mail to us admins at etree(AT)archive(DOT)org and we'll get on it asap

Audio Technica 831 (AT831) > Sound Pro standard batt-box > Nomad Jukebox 3
It's a n00b rig, but I still love it, 5 years later! I have no desire whatsoever to 'upgrade'. I figure it does a good enough job doing the task I want it to do (recording the music) so i'd rather take that $1000 and use it elsewhere... ;)

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: How do you like the Canon Digital Rebel Xt ? (aka EOS 350D) ..
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 09:28:07 AM »
Tyler,

To do weddings, you'll need at least a 20D, if not a 1-Series body. You'll also need some faster mid-to-long glass to go with that. The 80-200/4.5-5.6 will be unusable at most weddings (basically anything indoors) due to the lack of light. I'd also argue that if you're doing a wedding yourself, you need two bodies.

I know the XT is an improvment on the DRebel, but as far as AF performance goes, the 20D and 1-Series bodies annhilate it. Ideally a 16-35 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 and a few faster primes would be good with a 1D/20D pair. However, if you've been doing well with the lenses you have now, more power to you. I'd say that the 20D would be a good buy.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline DesignVHL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Expand Your Element
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 02:02:24 PM »
I love my rebel for concert photos, of course I wish I could have afforded the 20D. But if you don't want to spend that kind of doe, the XT is a great way to go....Def. going w/ a higher one next time - esp once something newer/faster comes out. But actually isn't more about the lens and how fast it is?
|||  Valerie  |||     expandyourelement

Offline dgodwin

• AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 02:53:43 PM »
Go with nikon and buy some of my stuff

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 04:26:16 PM »
But actually isn't more about the lens and how fast it is?

To an extent, but even with an f/1.2 lens (the 85/1.2, for example), you need a high ISO to get proper exposure in low light, which is common to almost any indoor wedding. I don't have any experience with the XT's high ISO noise, but I know on my Rebel/300D that it becomes pretty bad at ISO 800 and above. The 20D is pretty good at 800 and decent even at 1600.

If you're using a flash setup, then you have a bit more flexibility. A nice diffuse flash to get evenly lit faces makes a world of difference.

Offline DesignVHL

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Expand Your Element
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 05:17:26 PM »
I don't generally use flash at shows I shoot, but I am thinking of looking into some. This is my first Digital SLR, so I decided not to splurge w/ the 20D. But the way things have been going, I'll probably upgrade in about a year or two if $$$ allows. :)

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 05:27:28 PM »
I don't think flash photography is allowed at a lot of shows. I also don't like the results of a flash at a concert anyway. I was speaking about weddings in the above reply. I'm holding onto the digital rebel for at least another year, myself.

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 05:38:14 PM »
Check out fredmiranda.com.  It's one of the best resources for digital photography I have ever run across.  Basically you will get the Canon & Nikon fans supporting their platform, but most will argue that while qulaity glass (regardless of manufacturer) is important, it's the photographer that makes the difference.  You will see some stunning Wedding shots taken with D70s & Digital Rebels as well as D20s 1Ds & D2Xs.  If you are starting from scratch there are some features that the 20D offers that are desirable, most notably better low light performance, but great photos can be taken with any camera.  Digital is so nice both from a cost standpoint and for the flexibility it offers in post processing.....

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 07:42:50 AM »
fyi, the 350d (digi-rebel xt) and the 20d have the same sensor and processing chip built into them, so ISO performance is very very similar if not identical.  the same photo taken with the same lens on either body should be almost indistinguishable.  there are numerous reasons to prefer the 20d (frame rate, build quality, AF system, WB selection, more responsive shutter, etc).  but actual image quality will be almost indistinguishable.

Offline DesignVHL

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Expand Your Element
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 09:27:59 AM »
phano - nice steve shot! :) Did you take that yourself? Are you hitting any Particle shows this tour?

Also, I'm w/ you on the flash photography. I would never use one for a concert either - the natural lighting from the stage when it hits right is just perfect for me! Even if I have to deal w/ a little graininess till I upgrade....it hasn't been too bad when there is enough light to be let in.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 11:09:58 AM »
fyi, the 350d (digi-rebel xt) and the 20d have the same sensor and processing chip built into them, so ISO performance is very very similar if not identical.  the same photo taken with the same lens on either body should be almost indistinguishable.  there are numerous reasons to prefer the 20d (frame rate, build quality, AF system, WB selection, more responsive shutter, etc).  but actual image quality will be almost indistinguishable.

This is what I've read too.  There was a site somewhere where they did a comparison.... its really quite shocking how similar the quality was.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline DesignVHL

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Expand Your Element
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 11:18:32 AM »
yeah...when i went to purchase my new digital slr, i actually had the 20D in mind, not the rebel....so I WAS planning on spending more, but i also wasn't planning on getting a new lens...which I was able to afford since i went w/ the rebel instead. The reason I chose the rebel is because of the guy workin' behind the counter at Wolf. He was a photographer for events - like theater - so he dealt w/ low light and such. Since I was buying the camera primarily for concerts...He told me pretty much the same thing about the rebel and 20d comparison. And suggested that I go w/ the rebel and then get a good lens. So, that's what I did. I've been pretty satisfied. I also figured that it would be a perfect lead in to the next generation of 20d's....

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 11:45:25 AM »
Thanks for the fredmiranda link - very helpful.

Any updated comments on the Rebel XT (you'll see from my other post I'm starting to sniff around....)

Tx!
DPA4060
R09

Offline ljsurfer2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2006, 02:59:49 PM »
I still love mine. When I tried the 20D it was just 'too heavy' at the end of a long day shooting a wedding. but it's still a great camera. now they have the 30D and the 5D or something? Canon had a few more body models come out since last year...
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive: http://www.archive.org/details/etree please PM me and/or send an e-mail to us admins at etree(AT)archive(DOT)org and we'll get on it asap

Audio Technica 831 (AT831) > Sound Pro standard batt-box > Nomad Jukebox 3
It's a n00b rig, but I still love it, 5 years later! I have no desire whatsoever to 'upgrade'. I figure it does a good enough job doing the task I want it to do (recording the music) so i'd rather take that $1000 and use it elsewhere... ;)

Offline Chrisedge

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 01:09:10 PM »
Better to have the money spent on glass.

2 lenses for Concerts/Weddings

17mm - 55mm f/2.8 IS USM - $1179
and
70mm - 200mm f/2.8L IS USM - $1699

I'd rather have spent the money on those lenses than the 20D/30D...(Upgrading that will happen once I have these lenses...)
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com