Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help buying a new digital video camera  (Read 12087 times)

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
Re: Help buying a new digital video camera
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2005, 03:14:46 PM »

The MiniDV-to-DVD workflow can be a major pain in the ass, especially for someone who doesn't know a thing about doing it.

[/quote]

For quick and dirty transfers to DVDs that I am sending out to relatives,
I just use a consumer DVD recorder with firewire input.
I have a Philips.
The DVD recorders are cheap nowadays,  you can get a Lite On at Costco for $130.00

I know the quality is not as good as capturing on your computer, as you are depending on the encoding of the DVD recorder,
but for those of us who are short on time, I think it's a good solution.

I also use the DVD recorder to transfer old VHS tapes, and the resolution is fine for that.

[/quote]

Not a bad solution, but let's be clear on what you're saying... The end result is it is still preferrable to own a MiniDV camera to start with, but then, you offer up a really simple and easy solution to get the MiniDV tape converted to DVD: use a dedicated consumer DVD recorder -- just plug in your camera to the recorder via firewire (or analog for that matter), and burn on-the-fly. That gives you an easy way to make a DVD while retaining the original MiniDV tapes in all of their full-res glory for use in editing or using at a later date. Nice suggestion!
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline bossanova

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2005, 05:34:20 PM »

[/quote]

Not a bad solution, but let's be clear on what you're saying... The end result is it is still preferrable to own a MiniDV camera to start with, but then, you offer up a really simple and easy solution to get the MiniDV tape converted to DVD: use a dedicated consumer DVD recorder -- just plug in your camera to the recorder via firewire (or analog for that matter), and burn on-the-fly. That gives you an easy way to make a DVD while retaining the original MiniDV tapes in all of their full-res glory for use in editing or using at a later date. Nice suggestion!
[/quote]

Yes,  I still think MiniDV is the way to go.

Has anyone tried the new JVC 20GB and 30GB hard drive camcorders ?
I assume they also record in MPEG2 , similar to the DVD camcorders, so they would also be poorer quality than MiniDV.

Offline Mitchell (Jake and Sawyer's Dad)

• The old man knooooooows..... very well.
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Rock stars... is there anything they don't know?"
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2005, 10:50:05 AM »
I am just worried I wont have the patience and smarts to do the whole D/L / edit process with the DV.  I am lazy enough as it is!
Bass Rig:

Modulus - Korg DR1 - CAE 4X4
Channel 1:  CAE 4x4 - ADA PreAmp - Decmeter Tube PreAmp - Meyer UX-1 - Meyer EQ - Meyer CQ2
Channel 2:  CAE 4x4 - Boss OC3/Meatball/CAE 150.1 - Eventude 4000
Channel 3 - Decmeter  Tude Direct - CAE 150.1 - SWR 400 - SWR Goliath

Offline SuperDave

• Now that's a mandolin!
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2005, 12:10:36 PM »
I am just worried I wont have the patience and smarts to do the whole D/L / edit process with the DV.  I am lazy enough as it is!
Trust me, get the dvcam.  You'll regret it later if you don't.
I'm gonna go put my spacesuit on boys, then lets get this dirty cocksucker in the air! ...

Open Rig: ADK A-51 TL's > Oade Warm Mod UA-5 > Iriver H120/JB3
Stealth Rig: AT853 > SP-SPSB-10 > Iriver h120

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2005, 10:48:08 AM »
Mini-DV all the way (but you've probably already bought it by now...). 

Here's the deal: there is nothing difficult about creating a nicely authored DVD sourced from a mini-DV tape.  The problem is that most guys (myself included - probably most of them out there that know how to do this stuff) learned it on their own by trial and error.  People have only been doing this stuff on PCs for around the last five years or so - and really it's only been 2-3 years ago since it really took off.  So yeah - it kicked my ass for a couple of months - but I eventually learned.  If you can hook up with a buddy who knows his stuff - you could learn more in two hours at his house than you could in a two weeks working by yourself at home.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline columbus decanter

• Taperssection Member
  • please tape the Timony!
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2006, 11:57:37 PM »
i just got a brand new sony model digital camcorder. the Sony dcr-HC36 handycam. i think its an upgrade of the Hc32 but im not sure.

Offline cpatch

• Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2006, 01:28:08 AM »
So lemme make sure I got this right then.  For me to get the miniDV stuff to a DVd with menus, music, etc., I do the following:

Shoot the video
Hook it up to my computer via firewire
Play the video back at real time so it can be captured on my computer
render the format to something that can be edited (or is this done automatically during the transfer?)
Edit the video, create menus, etc.
Save in MPEG2
Burn to DVD

If you use a Mac the process can be a lot simpler if just want an unedited DVD, especially with the new versions of iDVD and iMovie in iLife '06. You can basically skip steps 4, 5, and 6 above. (They're either unnecessary or automated.)

Craig
Home (Podcasting): AT4040,NT-1A > Symetrix 528e > dbx 1066 > Mackie 1202-VLZ-PRO > 24" Intel iMac
Field (Podcasting/Taping): AT853RX,LSD2,MD46 > Bus PMD660/H4
$100 Super Stealth: Giant Squid Stereo Omnis > iRiver iFP-795

Offline columbus decanter

• Taperssection Member
  • please tape the Timony!
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2006, 02:18:54 AM »
i just got a brand new sony model digital camcorder. the Sony dcr-HC36 handycam. i think its an upgrade of the Hc32 but im not sure.
just went and exchanged it for a Sony HC46.. one step up.:)

Offline handsome_b_wonderful33

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2006, 03:18:12 PM »
Does the Sony HC46 have an audio line-in jack? I was planning on buying a new camcorder and this is really a deciding factor on wether or not to buy the HC46.

Offline jdawg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2006, 02:23:44 AM »
I recently bought a Panasonic PV-GS65.  Plenty of good reviews on this one. Never tried taping a concert, but from the "family" type footage I've shot, I really like it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com