Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New TS-2 Preamp ... under development (part II)  (Read 93271 times)

Offline fivefishdiy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • FiveFish Studios
Re: New TS-2 Preamp ... under development (part II)
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2008, 07:17:10 PM »
VU meters installed and in action. VU meter on/off switch works.

SC-1 Mic Preamp Kits... www.fivefishstudios.com
Photo Rig: Canon EOS30D, 70-200 f4L, 24-105 f4L, 50mmf1.8, 10-22mm Wide angle, Sigma 200mm Macro, Harddisk CF card reader/backup
Video: Sony HDV HDR-HC5

Offline jchall

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2008, 07:29:08 PM »
Been watching this thread for a little while, plus it took a little time to read through everything.  I must say it's looking great, keep up the good work and thanks for keeping us posted.
Open: Peluso CEMC-6(ck-2, ck-21, ck-4, ck-41)>FR2LE
Not so Open: AT853-U(o, sc, c, h, sg)>CA ST-9100>R-09HR or MT2496
Old Time: Beyerdynamic m201(c)>Marantz PMD420

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2008, 08:02:01 PM »
I want mine with a special "I watched it from the beginning at Taperssection" sticker.... :laugh:
"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

Mics: Modified Nak 300's, Line Audio CM4
P48/Pres: PS2
Decks: Edirol R-09

Offline sanaka

• Taperssection Regular
  • Perpetual n00b
    • My first Dead show
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2008, 08:21:44 PM »
Sweet job on the VU board  5 :fish:

Don't forget the full height standoffs on your next parts order tho'  ;D

Peace,
Sanaka

Offline fivefishdiy

• Taperssection Regular
    • FiveFish Studios
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2008, 09:28:26 PM »
Sweet job on the VU board  5 :fish:
Don't forget the full height standoffs on your next parts order tho'  ;D
Peace,
Sanaka

Yeah, you got me! :)  Need to get a 1" standoff.
Photo Rig: Canon EOS30D, 70-200 f4L, 24-105 f4L, 50mmf1.8, 10-22mm Wide angle, Sigma 200mm Macro, Harddisk CF card reader/backup

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2008, 02:37:38 AM »
Man this looks sweet

great going here!

so maybe to satisfy the rca or 1/4 crowd
what about the XLR /  1/4"  combo Neutrik  connects?

it could be balanced TRS or XLR that way

folks can always get 1/4 to RCA or
1/4 to mini if that's they wanted?

personally I like balanced XLR or TRS outs

this is great work!

thanx!
-- Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline sanaka

• Taperssection Regular
  • Perpetual n00b
    • My first Dead show
At the risk of seeming hypocritical...
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2008, 07:32:02 AM »
Earlier I urged strongly against "feature bloat" and for keeping things simple. I hope it won't violate that spirit to offer the following as food for thought :-[

I'm thinking each of the toggle switches on the TS-2 would do well to have it's own LED indicator. This is not critical, however, so I think should be implemented IF AND ONLY IF it is a relatively simple matter, won't require a big remodel or new boards to be printed, and of course doesn't compromise the essential amplification circuit in any way. And obviously not if I'm the only one who thinks this  :)  I thought maybe there are already LED terminals at each switch position, but only the 3 were being used since the arrangement of LEDs on just power and phantom makes it's own sense.

Reasons for LEDs at the other 3 positions:

> VU - With VU switchable, there are 2 reasons your VU might not light when there is acoustic signal: 1) It's switched off. 2) It's on, but something is amiss (mics not plugged in!, cable gone wanky). In a dark venue, an LED would alert you that something's wrong if the VU is not registering signal, as opposed to letting you think you just have it switched off.

> Low Cut/HPF - Again, with a glance down at your rig, you'll know whether this is currently engaged or not, even in a dark venue.

> Pad - Same as above.

The combination of lit/unlit LEDs in a straight line would I think make the entire status of the pre's settings (other than gain and trim) instantly readable, even in the dark, even if, like, you know, you're like tired so, like you accidentally drank 3 or 4 extra beers ;D

I think these LEDs should all be one color, but something distinct from the VU's colors. To me the purple/UV LEDs are sweet lookin' and less 'projective'/more low key in darkness.

Plus, besides the fact that more pretty lights are always better than less, this makes the whole face more symmetrical, which is always soothing to your OCD/anal types like me. 

Here's what I mean:

Peace,
Sanaka

Offline fivefishdiy

• Taperssection Regular
    • FiveFish Studios
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2008, 07:47:26 AM »
No promises, but it's a possibility. 

Since we already have the LED space for it, the power source for the LEDs, and also since the HP filter and pad will be under relay control.  Basically, the switchboard isn't carrying any signal... just swtiches that trigger relays on the main motherboard.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2008, 08:42:52 AM »
Some feedback on LEDs..  Fwiw, I myself don't need any LEDs.  Though I understand they can be useful and also important for marketing.

I use the recorder's level meters.   They are ultimately what matter most to me.   Also, most LEDs are too bright for the environments where I record and I have to keep them covered with gaffer tape ("usher, my wife has epilepsy and that nasty man's v3 is giving her a seizure and, worse, is distracting me!").  A power LED might be nice.. But again, my ultimate "are we good?" test is looking at the meters on the recorder.  With toggles it is easy to see and feel the position of a switch.

Given your diligent approach, I am sure you'll be testing whether those VU LEDs introduce any switching noise into the audio ;)

Offline anechoic

• Taperssection Regular
  • composer, writer, sound designer
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2008, 12:00:22 PM »
Some feedback on LEDs..  Fwiw, I myself don't need any LEDs.  Though I understand they can be useful and also important for marketing.

I use the recorder's level meters.   They are ultimately what matter most to me.   Also, most LEDs are too bright for the environments where I record and I have to keep them covered with gaffer tape ("usher, my wife has epilepsy and that nasty man's v3 is giving her a seizure and, worse, is distracting me!").  A power LED might be nice.. But again, my ultimate "are we good?" test is looking at the meters on the recorder.  With toggles it is easy to see and feel the position of a switch.

Given your diligent approach, I am sure you'll be testing whether those VU LEDs introduce any switching noise into the audio ;)

I see your point w/r/t LED's -- ultimately it is the level of the signal going to the recorder that matters most
but having preamp LED's is very helpful/useful (has saved my butt) when setting levels in natural environments (not live music taping)
where input levels and conditions change and levels need to be readjusted accordingly
i.e. seeing if the pre is clipping but the recorder appears to be ok and vice versa
'In the new world the characteristic unit will be
small, highly mobile, independent and intelligent.'
                                - Robert Fripp

stevetoney

« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2008, 12:41:02 PM »
Also, most LEDs are too bright for the environments where I record and I have to keep them covered with gaffer tape 

...which is I think a reason why he's including a switch to turn the level LEDs off, the other being power preservation.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 12:43:04 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2008, 01:07:44 PM »
Fivefishdiy
I just was relooking at Part 1 of this thread
and saw a screen shot
you're using a Mac!

;)
very nice!
<= Mac User here since 1988
                     (older apples in the early 80's)

cool!

this project is so exciting!

:)
-- Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

stevetoney

« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2008, 03:56:23 PM »
;)
very nice!
<= Mac User here since 1988
                     (older apples in the early 80's)

;D ;D

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

;D ;D

For additional laughs, go to his home location and check out other articles this guy has written... funny as hell.  (Thanks go out to lil kim jong who recently turned me on to this website.)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 03:59:27 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2008, 08:48:56 PM »
AMAZING THREAD from the beginning :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2008, 10:14:10 PM »
Checking into the second thread.. nice progress.  Another vote for a 1/8" stereo output. Certainly not a deal breaker if not there, but as others mentioned, good for small recorders and especially nice for patchers. If not then just let us know where to tap the circuit and leave a bit of space on the rear panel that can be drilled for a panel jack. I've built my own cable for V3 > R-09  and would have just bought a Hosa but for the pin 2-3 issue, plus I wanted right angles both sides and built a better one, and the cable is nearly as big as the recorder.  Again if not no biggie.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com