Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what to do, what to do???  (Read 20345 times)

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re:what to do, what to do???
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2004, 01:49:17 PM »
dont misquote me here, my opinion stands that the Mod SBM-1 holds its own against the AD1000 sonically any day

We hear things differently then.

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2004, 01:49:22 PM »
i don't think one single taper in the whole state of MO runs a mod sbm1 or ad1000 ::) got a v2, w-mod ua5, sr77s, and some TL's though :P

brian

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2004, 01:57:57 PM »
We hear things differently then.

good thing we do, otherwise we would all be running the same crap!

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2004, 02:03:59 PM »
Hell with this being said, maybe we need to do a blind test of the Mod-SBM-1 vs. the AD1k...only problem I see is that there would not be a good way to keep the pre consistent.

I'd love to hear a comp like this.  Why wouldn't there be a good way to keep the pre consistent?  Just run V2 > split > AD1000 / modSBM-1.  Can't avoid the AD1000 analog stage anyway, but running the external pre minimizes its impact as best we can.

I have a V3, ad1k and a msbm-1 in my closet right now so maybe I need to do some comps to end all this jibba-jabba.   :)

Jason B

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2004, 02:05:07 PM »
I have a V3, ad1k and a msbm-1 in my closet right now so maybe I need to do some comps to end all this jibba-jabba.   :)

Who's sbm?

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2004, 02:06:45 PM »
Oh yea, +T (in 12hrs) Heath for having the balls to lend out your 1k. That is the only piece of gear I will not let anyone borrow. Every second counts..... ;D

Offline Swanny

• Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2004, 02:12:05 PM »
If you do do the comp, you'll have to send me a copy so Marc & I and listen to it in his car.... If anyone wants to lend me a mod SBM I'd be happy to run some comps, but no one around here has had one since marc sold his. +Ts all around...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 02:13:11 PM by Swanny »
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2004, 02:13:24 PM »
Thanks Heath!  But since it appears we may have all the gear here local (I believe Jason still has a V2), it may make some sense to try this test with "locally procured equipment.  Jason, Kevin, when do you suggest to give this a run?  And what mics would be best for the test...?  ADKs? MGs? 4022s?

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2004, 02:15:59 PM »

Who's sbm?

My buddy, Frank's. I just realized that with in a 45 minute radius of my house, included my own stuff, I have  
access to...

4022's, ccm4's, cmc6'4/41s, 480's, 2x m148's, V3, 2x ad1k's, psp-2 and msbm-1. Now if we could just get some good music in our area...  

Jason B

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2004, 02:16:24 PM »
Thanks Heath!  But since it appears we may have all the gear here local (I believe Jason still has a V2), it may make some sense to try this test with "locally procured equipment.  Jason, Kevin, when do you suggest to give this a run?  And what mics would be best for the test...?  ADKs? MGs? 4022s?

How about all 3? If we have to go with one, I'd say your MG's

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2004, 02:22:27 PM »
For a pre / A/D comparison, most definitely the 4022s.  Most neutral of any of the mics possible to use.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 02:22:50 PM by jlykos »
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2004, 02:29:49 PM »
i don't think one single taper in the whole state of MO runs a mod sbm1 or ad1000 ::) got a v2, w-mod ua5, sr77s, and some TL's though :P

brian

Jerry Meyer has 2 sbm-1's sitting in his closet, they're just stock though.

Steve Brothers/Matt Kinder and company run dpa/psp2/ad1000
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2004, 02:47:03 PM »
i know jerry, he's on moheads. i uploaded my dead 7/02 tape to his server over the summer.

i have never heard of those other two guys though. although now that i think about it, some dude came up to me after the last Robert randolph show and kept talking about how he and his buddy do a lot of "stealth" shows with dpa's, a psp2, and a ad1000. that's one hell of a stealth rig. so i guess that was either matt or steve.

Brian

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2004, 02:49:23 PM »
Steve helped me buy my first DAT deck, awesome guy. They're panic FOB guys... Marc copied his rig off of them. Steve's great...

I did Atlanta NYE, Hampton and Vegas with Jerry last year.... hell of a guy! Known both of them since 97 or 98.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2004, 02:55:13 PM »
My buddy, Frank's. I just realized that with in a 45 minute radius of my house, included my own stuff, I have  
access to...

4022's, ccm4's, cmc6'4/41s, 480's, 2x m148's, V3, 2x ad1k's, psp-2 and msbm-1. Now if we could just get some good music in our area...  

you're allways welcome to my 140's, hell i still have my mbho's as well.

I agree with jamie though, i think the 4022's will do best for the comp.

in regard to the ad1k's and 500e's....has anyone other than the apogee folks ever tried to do the repairs??? or are the deaths of the boxes just an all around old age deal that becomes too involved? (i do know about the clock and crystal issues but no idea as to thier design and fixability)
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com