Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: small pre amp needed!  (Read 15333 times)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: small pre amp needed!
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2012, 11:11:21 PM »
I can make it do anything I want.

Can you make IT put the lotion on?  ;)
"it puts the lotion in the basket"
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline towncop1978

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2012, 09:42:45 PM »
Hey Chris, wheres that picture you said you were going to post...   Im looking forward to seeing it before i commit...

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2012, 03:53:27 AM »
Hey Chris, wheres that picture you said you were going to post...   Im looking forward to seeing it before i commit...

This is the Ugly 3.0 New features.

No on off switch
Plug in the input and the Preamp turns on, unplug the preamps input and it turns off.

Offline stepeanut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2012, 04:48:38 AM »
Thanks for posting a photo, Chris.

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see the gain knob that you mentioned in previous posts?
Stepeanut: "Unless something else turns up, I'd say you've made the pull of the tour."

Yousef: "That's kind of you to say, but it does feel like winning first prize in a turd-photographing contest."

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2012, 09:18:02 AM »
Can we get a power switch as an option?

I'm considering ordering two more, and a power-switch was one of the primary motivators to do so.  In an everything-prewired situation it would mean not having to remove the battery to shut it off.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2012, 04:01:39 PM »

I'm considering ordering two more, and a power-switch was one of the primary motivators to do so.  In an everything-prewired situation it would mean not having to remove the battery to shut it off.
You dont have to remove the battery. Just unplug the mic input :) Nothing more then most would already do.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2012, 04:02:31 PM »
Thanks for posting a photo, Chris.

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see the gain knob that you mentioned in previous posts?
This is a ugly 3.0 its not the new preamp but a new version of the Ugly. I will show you guys the new preamp today. When I snap a picture of it.

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2012, 05:15:58 PM »
I am coming out with a new preamp in the next 4 weeks it will be the same size as the ugly but it will have up to 40 db of gain and a single 6 position gain switch on and off with be via the mic input when a mic is plugged in it will be on. I have secured some very tiny knobs for the gain control. It will have the same exact functionality as my 9200 preamp but the same size as the ugly. It will not have a HPF. I am going to sell this for $179.99 there will be no tools needed to adjust gain in the field.

Chris Church

All I ever needed to adjust my CA-UGLY (ver 2 I guess) is my thumbnail. I'll be interested in seeing the new preamp though!
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline towncop1978

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2012, 08:13:14 PM »
thanks Chris... I appreciate that picture you posted... I'm looking forward to seeing the actual Pre amp..  Maybe some closeups on the dials...

I already have the 9100 and want to use something smaller.. the Ugly looks exactly what im looking for..     ;) 

So Chris, look out for that email...   

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2012, 10:30:12 AM »

You dont have to remove the battery. Just unplug the mic input :) Nothing more then most would already do.

Well, that's my point.  These aren't simple 'plug in a pair of mics and hit record' scenarios, but more complex setups using mulitple mics and preamps all prewired.  Disconnecting and re-connecting things is not a very good option- disconnecting wires more so than removing batteries.  I've seen more recent CA-UGLYs than my pair which have a power switch on them, and that would make things much more straight forward.  Admittedly these are atypical setups compared to the basic Mic pair > UGLY > Recorder situation.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2012, 11:42:08 AM »

Well, that's my point.  These aren't simple 'plug in a pair of mics and hit record' scenarios, but more complex setups using mulitple mics and preamps all prewired.  Disconnecting and re-connecting things is not a very good option- disconnecting wires more so than removing batteries.  I've seen more recent CA-UGLYs than my pair which have a power switch on them, and that would make things much more straight forward.  Admittedly these are atypical setups compared to the basic Mic pair > UGLY > Recorder situation.
A power switch will not fit into this new preamp. The preamp can be plugged in and tested before you enter the venue... Thats what I would recommend for any taper to make sure his or her gear is working properly. Also power consumption is low at 7mA. So battery life is very good. The old Ugly v 3.0 is still available with power switch if a customer wants it. I dont know too many tapers that would switch mics in a stealth situation ( what this preamp is designed for ) that would switch mics in a venue. I wish I could fit a power switch in and perhaps for one or two custom requests I will. For now plugging in the mic turns the power off with zero power draw. Just like a regular power switch.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2012, 11:46:28 AM »
thanks Chris... I appreciate that picture you posted... I'm looking forward to seeing the actual Pre amp..  Maybe some closeups on the dials...

I already have the 9100 and want to use something smaller.. the Ugly looks exactly what im looking for..     ;) 

So Chris, look out for that email...
the gain switch has a small knob on it that is 0.470 Inches tall by 0.413 inches wide. Very tiny in the pictures the knob looks huge. The gain switch is the same part that is used in the 9200 its a locking rotary switch with military quality. That can not be turned by accident. The new price for this preamp is $200 its very time consuming to build. And it has the same performance specs as the 9200 except no high pass filter. Other than that its the same exact preamp using the same exact parts. The preamp is the same size as the ugly except for the gain control. I put it on the side because this preamp is designed to sit in a pocket with the inputs up and the gain on the side. Again the gain can not be turned by accident. There are two trimmers that can be used for left and right balance so that mics that are not well matched can be matched for output. Gain settings are 0db +10 +15 +25 + 30 + 40 db of gain.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 11:50:20 AM by Church-Audio »

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2012, 11:59:04 AM »

A power switch will not fit into this new preamp. The preamp can be plugged in and tested before you enter the venue... Thats what I would recommend for any taper to make sure his or her gear is working properly. Also power consumption is low at 7mA. So battery life is very good. The old Ugly v 3.0 is still available with power switch if a customer wants it. I dont know too many tapers that would switch mics in a stealth situation ( what this preamp is designed for ) that would switch mics in a venue. I wish I could fit a power switch in and perhaps for one or two custom requests I will. For now plugging in the mic turns the power off with zero power draw. Just like a regular power switch.

Since I've seen Lee's (Gutbucket's) setup, assuming its the same one, maybe you could make him a one off unit with four or more channels. Basically just combine a few CA-UGLY's into one package. Its not your normal setup. I know most of your customers are into lightweight, low profile rigs. If an alien space probe were to drop into the middle of a festival crowd, it would look like Lee's rig unfolding. Multiple mics in a lightweight setup.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2012, 02:08:46 PM »

That looks great Chris, nice work.  I really dig the combination of both a detented master gain knob and independant channel trimmmers!

I don't mean to beat the horse here since my applications obviously aren't your target market, but could one of those 6 master gain positions be repurposed to  'power off' as a special build request?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2012, 02:57:10 PM »

That looks great Chris, nice work.  I really dig the combination of both a detented master gain knob and independant channel trimmmers!

I don't mean to beat the horse here since my applications obviously aren't your target market, but could one of those 6 master gain positions be repurposed to  'power off' as a special build request?
No thats not possible because all pole and switch contacts are common for audio only.  I can build a power switch into it I just checked it will be a PIA but It can be done.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com