Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best way to remove pops/skips caused by an optical cable?  (Read 2541 times)

Offline 612

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Minneapolis, MN
Best way to remove pops/skips caused by an optical cable?
« on: January 05, 2008, 09:56:19 AM »
Hello, I have been searching around the forums and have read many older threads but I was wondering how people like to handle these?

I run UA-5 > optical cable with 2 Right Angles (no adapters) > iRiver h120

I originally bought 2 of the same cable. When this started happening I switched to the back up cable and it seemed to help for a while but these started showing back up here and there. Neither of the cables are extremely old or used and I know they are popular with a lot of other people. I know it helps to make sure the cable is not stressed anywhere, leave your bag open and avoid lots of fiddling which I try to do. Up until now I have just left them in, being rare and only a minor annoyance but now I want to start removing them.

Does most audio editing software or one in particular come with a tool to remove these? I've heard people reference "pop or click removing tools" but I wasn't sure if that was the same problem. I imagine some people may try removing the millisecond(s) of this occurrence hoping that the sound on the recording remains relatively seamless? I was hoping to go the tool route, that is is a tool does exist that can detect and remove these. I'm not sure if that's possible.

Thanks for reading this!
Empty's Tapes & My recordings on the LMA

"Keep active, stay positive..." - a wise man

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
Re: Best way to remove pops/skips caused by an optical cable?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 09:59:29 AM »
How often do these pops occur?
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline 612

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 10:52:53 AM »
I would have to say once every dozen shows or more. They are super rare and never seem to happen more than once per show/recording.

I tend to think they are caused by me inadvertently moving the cable or UA-5 causing the light signal in the cable to be interrupted causing something that would be similar to a CD skipping for a split second.

I don't think it is happening often enough to be the UA-5. I also kind of doubt that it would be the h120's digital in.

Offline andyjah

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 12:34:49 PM »
I ran into this problem with my first Nomad JB3. Found it to be the optical input on the nomad itself. Maybe have someone check it if possible since the cables don't make much of a difference. Mine sounded exactly like static and little pops. The optical inputs seem to stress no matter how gentle you are with them.

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 02:34:55 PM »
to get back to the orig question, I use soundforge and/or cool edit to remove the pops that I find on shows. They both do a pretty seamless job, especially for the sharp/short pops and skips. You zoom like 'way 'way in, highlight and cut. I think it's better than hearing the pops..

as few as you say you have, it should be pretty easy.

good luck

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 05:00:24 PM »
As long as the pops/clicks aren't highly prevalent, I find the Pencil tool in Soundforge 7.0 to work quite well.  I zoom way in to where I can isolate the pop on the screen.  I then click on the Pencil tool and shape-down the peak to more 'normal levels' or below that even, depending on the popping noise. 

This has also worked well for instances where mics were being worn on the body and claps were in close proximity. 
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 07:41:39 PM »
WaveLAb has a restoration tool tht rewrites sections of mucis where posp and clicks are. Its been very helpful with older Phish recordings and the like.
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 09:44:42 PM »
to get back to the orig question, I use soundforge and/or cool edit to remove the pops that I find on shows. They both do a pretty seamless job, especially for the sharp/short pops and skips. You zoom like 'way 'way in, highlight and cut. I think it's better than hearing the pops..
As long as the pops/clicks aren't highly prevalent, I find the Pencil tool in Soundforge 7.0 to work quite well.  I zoom way in to where I can isolate the pop on the screen.  I then click on the Pencil tool and shape-down the peak to more 'normal levels' or below that even, depending on the popping noise. 
This has also worked well for instances where mics were being worn on the body and claps were in close proximity. 

Ditto both/either of these techniques in Audacity, which is free!   ;D
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline 612

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 11:46:01 PM »
Thanks everybody. I appreciate all of the responses. :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com