Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Good All-Around Interview Microphone?  (Read 9483 times)

Offline RoganSarine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Good All-Around Interview Microphone?
« on: February 17, 2011, 02:19:30 PM »
Hey guys,

I've been doing taping for about a year now, but I was wondering if you guys know what would be a good, solid interview microphone? The problem I run into is that I originally thought of using an omni-mic, but since I am in a louder environment a lot, I don't know how well that it would work in that situation. But, at the same time, if I'm interviewing multiple people, a card mic doesn't really work since it's directional.

I tried googling a solid interview mic, but I did not come up with much. At least, I did not come up with an answer I would trust as it was mostly uncredited forum/yahoo answer posts.

Offline DLay

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • If it has to be loud to be good, it isn't
Re: Good All-Around Interview Microphone?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 03:23:18 PM »
Suggesting a good mic for you really depends on your budget, what kind of interviews you have in mind, if you are working solo, etc.

If you plan on doing controlled and talking head style interviews then a shotgun mic will be your best bet. However, if you have multiple people to record and its a noisy environment, you may need multiple lav mics (if you are able to mic up your interviewees). Obviously if you are acting as the interviewer and the mixer things can get tricky/messy. For just hand held person to person interviewing check out the Sennheiser MD46. A couple MD46's could very well do the trick. From experience I can say the Sennheiser ME66 is a quality shotgun mic that works on various applications and isn't outrageously priced. From what you described though it may not cut it.
Beyerdynamic MC930 > Sound Devices 702t

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 01:37:13 PM »
Old Thread "Best mics for field interviews" may be helpful...

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=131532.msg1731133#msg1731133
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline AudioHipster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 05:26:20 PM »
Hey guys,

I've been doing taping for about a year now, but I was wondering if you guys know what would be a good, solid interview microphone? The problem I run into is that I originally thought of using an omni-mic, but since I am in a louder environment a lot, I don't know how well that it would work in that situation. But, at the same time, if I'm interviewing multiple people, a card mic doesn't really work since it's directional.

I tried googling a solid interview mic, but I did not come up with much. At least, I did not come up with an answer I would trust as it was mostly uncredited forum/yahoo answer posts.

I received two S502 ORTF stereo mic's and thought they would make a great on location and live venue recording mic's ...  i would think in loud environments closer mic'ing or interview with a EV 635a where they talk directly into it...  anywho not much experience with that and new to this forum...  also wondering can you share audio on this forum? ... sound cloud? 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com