Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nakamichi cm300 batteries  (Read 8337 times)

Offline cherise64

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Nakamichi cm300 batteries
« on: March 19, 2016, 02:28:29 PM »
Hi... just wondering where I can buy the batteries for the nakamichi cm300 batteries at?? Mine are dead.  Thanks!

Offline old and in the way

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Nakamichi cm300 batteries
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 02:45:12 PM »
there are no good answers to the battery issue .they don't make a compatible 9 volt battery that will fit. However a lot of people use a couple of the saft 3.2 volt batteries .
also some use a series of button batteries that add up to 9 volts. they make a small round 9 volt battery but you would need to make some sort of plug style adapter. thats what i have . i made some out of battery connections and a clear plastic tube,hot glue etc . it works but i rarely use my naks any more.

Offline OS_Taper

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Neumann or bust!
    • Shows on the LMA
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 08:28:41 AM »
Neumann
KMR 82i
KM150
TLM 107
Core-Sound
TetraMic (2)
Danish Pro Audio
DPA 4060

Recorders: Zoom F8, Zoom H8,  Tascam 100-MKII, Olympus LS-11

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 09:04:37 AM »
The Exell A1611 was the original aftermarket replacement for the 206A. Back in 2005 - these were like 6-8 bucks a piece. And they worked like a charm.

But then reports started coming in that they were starting to be manufactured to wide - and were getting stuck - or just wouldn't fit in the mics.

And now they are 25 bucks a piece!

There's a couple of combos/approaches - I'd study the battery selection at your local hardware store - see if they stock anything useful.

I've used the Energizer A23 - they're 12V - but that's fine for that mic.

The A23 is a little short, so it it needs a little stilt in the battery compartment...also a bit thin - so I wrap it with electrical tape to get it to proper width.

But only 4-5 bucks a piece - and available in most grocery/hardware store battery racks.

Another old school hack - drill a hole in the mic and solder a snap on 9V battery to battery contacts - just tape the battery to the mic. First ME-120 I owned had been "modded" like this...not recommended - your signal is going through that wire! :facepalm:

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 10:08:14 AM »
Hi,

I would try two ER14250 Lithium cells in series. They are half the length of an AA cell, and have 3.6V each. The original battery is the length of an AA cell, too, but the diameter is about 19mm or so. Wrapping the cells with electrical tape or looking for plastic tubing of the correct diameter could solve the thickness problem. 7.2V/1200mAh should give a loooong runtime.

Greetings,

Rainer
recording steam trains since 1985

Offline BonoBeats

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Band- Funk Pocket
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 11:00:48 AM »
I would tape two 6v batteries together- 4lr44 is the model, I believe. Fairly common.

Don't worry about the voltage- I've read on a number of old forums that these mics can handle up to 14v with ease.
Now You See Me Telefunken M60 Masters/ADK Cremona 251>MixPre6
Now You Don't    Naiant XX or MS-TFB-2-MKII>SP-SB10>Roland R05

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 12:37:36 PM »
This thread reminded me of these...looks like 3 of these and shrink wrap might do the trick.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-Duracell-CR1-3N-DL1-3N-2L76-Photo-Lithium-3V-Batteries-Two-Pack-/252121316837

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 12:47:40 PM »
I would tape two 6v batteries together- 4lr44 is the model, I believe. Fairly common.

Don't worry about the voltage- I've read on a number of old forums that these mics can handle up to 14v with ease.

I've done exactly this for two years with no problems (which reminds me I need to check their levels). The 12V doesn't seem to be a problem. I just take the two and tape them together, making it thick enough to be held in place well.

Keep in mind these are mics that are made to take AA batteries (which wouldn't provide enough power for today's recorders IMO). So basically anything that can be pieced together to equal the size of a AA, with appropriate voltage, will probably work.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline cherise64

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 06:34:26 PM »
Thank you!... looks like a few options ... I don't want to modify the mics at all... are most of these batteries easy to pick up ?

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 10:56:35 AM »
I recently picked up a pair of 300's myself. According to Batteries Plus, the replacement for the obsoleted battery is a CR2 and a 28L shrink wrapped together. A stack of LR44's (or a 4LR44) with the CR2 would provide the proper voltage, but I can't believe that 4 hearing aid batts would last as long as a 6v lithium.

I'm going the CR2 and the 28L personally.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 08:37:39 AM »
For years I've used a PC clock backup battery PC177a that is 10.5v works like a charm. $8 free shipping on eBay...no affiliation

LINK

Also have heard of the A23 12v being used...

You can also get away with 6v from two stacked common 3v camera batteries that are available at the drug store...CR2 ??

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

stevetoney

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 08:56:22 PM »

I've done exactly this for two years with no problems (which reminds me I need to check their levels). The 12V doesn't seem to be a problem. I just take the two and tape them together, making it thick enough to be held in place well.

Keep in mind these are mics that are made to take AA batteries (which wouldn't provide enough power for today's recorders IMO). So basically anything that can be pieced together to equal the size of a AA, with appropriate voltage, will probably work.

I use these as well.  I make a few orders to B&H every year and add 4 or 6 of these to my order so they're ready for me when I need them.  I have lots of other mics at my disposal so I don't use these all that often so a stacked pair of batteries lasts me forever since I take them out between uses...which I recommend because the mic switches have a way of turning themselves on if you happen to leave the batteries in.  But the switches only turn themselves on if batteries are left in.  It never happens when you remember to take them out.   ;D ;D

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 10:16:33 PM »
Hi,

I would try two ER14250 Lithium cells in series. They are half the length of an AA cell, and have 3.6V each. The original battery is the length of an AA cell, too, but the diameter is about 19mm or so. Wrapping the cells with electrical tape or looking for plastic tubing of the correct diameter could solve the thickness problem. 7.2V/1200mAh should give a loooong runtime.

Greetings,

Rainer

This is what I've run in my CM100s for the past couple of years. Lots of sellers on ebay and individual batteries can be easily found for $2-$2.50, many with free shipping. So for $10 or less you can power a pair. Not sure if the under-voltage would have a detrimental effect on the 300s though,

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 04:55:18 AM »
Here are your batteries:

http://www.amazon.com/SUNKING-collar-batteries-sunking-Sunking/dp/B0149IWZU6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

Get creative with electrical tape so that two batteries stay stacked and fit comfortably in the mics.

btw, a single one of these batteries is what I'm using in the CM700's
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 11:45:56 AM »

I use these as well.  I make a few orders to B&H every year and add 4 or 6 of these to my order so they're ready for me when I need them.  I have lots of other mics at my disposal so I don't use these all that often so a stacked pair of batteries lasts me forever since I take them out between uses...which I recommend because the mic switches have a way of turning themselves on if you happen to leave the batteries in.  But the switches only turn themselves on if batteries are left in.  It never happens when you remember to take them out.   ;D ;D

Just FYI I spoke wrong about the batteries I've been using. I've been purchasing two pairs of A544s and taping them together to make a AA sized 12V battery. Not sure if it matters much as I think the end result is the same. I'm able to get the A544s at my local True Value hardware for $5 each. Not exactly cheap, but they last forever.

Good point on removing the batteries. Not only will they run down when the mic is switched on, but they will corrode and ruin your mics.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.143 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com