Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Battery-powered phantom power units  (Read 5067 times)

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
Battery-powered phantom power units
« on: July 09, 2010, 10:15:10 AM »
So, I was using Beyerdynamic shotguns at a DMB show last month in a PMD660. The mics require phantom power, so I was running the 660 with that switched on, and the recorder died after about 2 hours with a new set of batteries. So, I was looking at battery-powered phantom power units. The Art PhantomIIPro looks good, and the price is reasonable. What do you all think? I'm a little concerned with the added noise, but not having to worry about power would be nice. I looked into the high-capacity rechargables, but I'm not sure.
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Battery-powered phantom power units
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 10:50:23 AM »
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/DEN-PS2

I have seen these go for very little used.

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 11:08:53 AM »
A well designed phantom power supply should add NO noise.  That being said, I cannot tell you if the Art supply is well designed or not.

Another option is to continue to use the 660's phantom power and supply back up power via the DC IN jack, at least for long enough to change the internal batteries.  The 660 will switch from internal to external when DC IN is powered.  You don't have to use the AC power supply as the source of the DC; any 5 VDC (or probably even 6 VDC) source will do.

Which Beyerdynamic shotgun are you using?

Offline jlykos

• Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 01:02:20 AM »
So, I was using Beyerdynamic shotguns at a DMB show last month in a PMD660. The mics require phantom power, so I was running the 660 with that switched on, and the recorder died after about 2 hours with a new set of batteries. So, I was looking at battery-powered phantom power units. The Art PhantomIIPro looks good, and the price is reasonable. What do you all think? I'm a little concerned with the added noise, but not having to worry about power would be nice. I looked into the high-capacity rechargables, but I'm not sure.

I'm not really convinced that you really need an external phantom power unit with that rig.  I would first look at external powering supplies for the Marantz unit like a rechargeable portable DVD player battery or something like that.  A proper external power source for the 660 should be all you need; no need to insert extra boxes between the mics and recorder when they are not needed.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 10:33:46 AM »

I'm not really convinced that you really need an external phantom power unit with that rig.  I would first look at external powering supplies for the Marantz unit like a rechargeable portable DVD player battery or something like that.  A proper external power source for the 660 should be all you need; no need to insert extra boxes between the mics and recorder when they are not needed.

Agreed, though I don't have experience directly with the 660, but plenty of folks use it with the dvd batt with no issue.  However if you choose the phantom power option...

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/DEN-PS2

I have seen these go for very little used.

... that Denecke box should do the trick for you if the 660 allows you to push up the gain on the input (which I assume it does).  It'll power the mics fine but not give you a huge signal coming into the 660 without increasing the gain a bit.  Runs on a dime store 9v for several hours.  And don't forget to turn off your pre-power to the mics from the 660 if you're putting something in between!
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline splumer

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 07:22:52 PM »
A well designed phantom power supply should add NO noise.  That being said, I cannot tell you if the Art supply is well designed or not.

Another option is to continue to use the 660's phantom power and supply back up power via the DC IN jack, at least for long enough to change the internal batteries.  The 660 will switch from internal to external when DC IN is powered.  You don't have to use the AC power supply as the source of the DC; any 5 VDC (or probably even 6 VDC) source will do.

I'm using MCE86n's. I have thought about using an external power supply, but I'm looking for the least-expensive option, since I don't record shows as often as I'd like. In another thread someone mentioned that he was concerned about using a 6v power source with the 660, since the AC power supply puts out only 5V. Should I be concerned about that? It seems like such a small amount, and it using 6V worth of batteries internally.

With a portable DVD player battery, my first thought is what a pain it would be to get the proper connector connected to the battery and all that stuff, not to mention the expense of the battery, plus the charger, etc.
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline jlykos

• Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 09:09:36 PM »

I'm using MCE86n's. I have thought about using an external power supply, but I'm looking for the least-expensive option, since I don't record shows as often as I'd like. In another thread someone mentioned that he was concerned about using a 6v power source with the 660, since the AC power supply puts out only 5V. Should I be concerned about that? It seems like such a small amount, and it using 6V worth of batteries internally.

With a portable DVD player battery, my first thought is what a pain it would be to get the proper connector connected to the battery and all that stuff, not to mention the expense of the battery, plus the charger, etc.

You can buy those types of batteries with interchangeable tips for a variety of applications and a charger.  Also, the cost of a rechargeable DVD battery system with tips and charger will be cheaper than an external battery box.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com