Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Line level A-D converter recomendations  (Read 6992 times)

Offline JNT

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Line level A-D converter recomendations
« on: November 17, 2006, 10:46:56 AM »
Looking for recomendations for a 2 line level analog to digital converter. Something relatively inexpensive. I looked at the Flying Cow model from M-Audio which is now discontinued. Most of the time I will use this where I have AC power but ideally it could accept 6-12 vdc so it could be powered in the field if necessary. A rackmountable piece would be fine.

Joe
Mostly retired from taping.

JW Mod AKG 460+CK61/CK1/CK2/CK63>V3>
or
AKG CK1x/CK2x/>MK46>JW MOD C460>V3>

AKG C34>

>R44

"Drinking will help us plan!"  Moe Szyslak

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
Re: Line level A-D converter recomendations
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 06:15:28 PM »
A UA-5 will take line levels into the RCAs in the back... Many of the Oade and BM2p+ flavors have this section modded also. Great sounding / Easy to power

Tho not really inexpensive there are deals to be had in the yard sale. I waited too long to buy one of these fine pieces of gear.
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 09:06:47 AM »
Dont forget the flying cow's cousin....The Flying Calf...the Cow needs AC power - but the Calf can run on DC...a wall-mart DVD battery will power a Flying Calf for about 2 days...!

Much better metering on the Flying Calf (compared to UA5) - and they seldom bring more than 50 bucks on ebay...

They come in 20 and 24 bit models...no 16 bit option - there is no level control...you drive it with your preamp or mixer output...

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 09:22:40 AM »
Dont forget the flying cow's cousin....The Flying Calf...the Cow needs AC power - but the Calf can run on DC...a wall-mart DVD battery will power a Flying Calf for about 2 days...!

Much better metering on the Flying Calf (compared to UA5) - and they seldom bring more than 50 bucks on ebay...

They come in 20 and 24 bit models...no 16 bit option - there is no level control...you drive it with your preamp or mixer output...

This is correct.  I love my Calf.  So straightforward. 
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline JNT

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 10:46:41 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys.  The flying calf looks promising but I would prefer something correctly outputs 16 bits rather than 20 or 24.  I will be using this for material that will go onto cd only not dvd.

Joe

or

AKG C34>

>R44

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Something
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 11:04:19 AM »
I always thought the Calf dithered to 16 bits in much the same way the AD-20 does.  I hope that's the case.

Roving Sign

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 11:09:07 AM »
I always thought the Calf dithered to 16 bits in much the same way the AD-20 does.  I hope that's the case.

No - assuming a 16 bit recorder - They truncate to 16 bits - no dither...assume the same occurs with the AD-20.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 01:59:22 PM »

No - assuming a 16 bit recorder - They truncate to 16 bits - no dither...assume the same occurs with the AD-20.

hmmmmm, I don't feel like going digging but wasn't there alot of talk in past threads over this.  If memory serves me correct (often times it doesn't) the 20bit ad's are giving you the full 16 bits, with a more natural truncating since you are not using all the 20bits anyways (unless your pegging 0db constantly) so you are actually getting the full 16 bits using a 20bit adc.  Maybe I'm way off target, but this is how it was explained to me.

Isn't the sbm-1 a 20 bit adc.  Same with the ad1k, ad-20, flying calf, dmic-20......

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Something
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 03:23:17 PM »

hmmmmm, I don't feel like going digging but wasn't there alot of talk in past threads over this.  If memory serves me correct (often times it doesn't) the 20bit ad's are giving you the full 16 bits, with a more natural truncating since you are not using all the 20bits anyways (unless your pegging 0db constantly) so you are actually getting the full 16 bits using a 20bit adc.  Maybe I'm way off target, but this is how it was explained to me.

Isn't the sbm-1 a 20 bit adc.  Same with the ad1k, ad-20, flying calf, dmic-20......

This would be what I was trying to say.  Thank you for making it make sense. +T

Offline JNT

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 11:26:50 AM »

I thought the SBM-1 dithered the output from 20 to 16 bits rather than truncating it. Not sure about the others.

Joe

or

AKG C34>

>R44

Roving Sign

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 12:14:22 PM »

I thought the SBM-1 dithered the output from 20 to 16 bits rather than truncating it. Not sure about the others.

Joe

Correct - SBM1 outputs 16 bits...no truncation.

Part of sales pitch - back in the day - was that the SBM1 would deliver 20 bits of worth of resolution via its 16 bits...due to Sony's magical "Super Bit Mapping" - - - no doubt the source of some of the confusion that persists today.

Offline JNT

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 02:13:56 PM »
I found this one made by Behringer. Its not portable but that is fine for most of what I would use it for.
http://www.behringer.com/SRC2496/index.cfm?lang=ENG

I  found other models that offer multiple channels of A-D conversion but very few that are stereo only.

Happy turkey day everyone!

Joe

or

AKG C34>

>R44

Offline JNT

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 11:12:09 PM »
Anyone know of other AD converters I should look at? 

Joe

or

AKG C34>

>R44

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 11:20:57 PM »
why not use your V3? If your line signal is hot you can enagage the internal -15db pads.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 12:28:09 AM »
why not use your V3? If your line signal is hot you can enagage the internal -15db pads.

i used to use mine all the time like that, with the pads

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com