Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stupidest newbie question ever - Entry #6503:  (Read 9080 times)

Offline grae313

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • no.
Stupidest newbie question ever - Entry #6503:
« on: May 05, 2003, 12:05:50 AM »
First off, I'm sorry  :-[ I've spent all day reading this forum and (though I learned *a lot* and know what DAT/mics etc I want to buy next) I was not able to answer my question.

So, pardon me while I ask the stupidest newbie question ever, but how the FUCK do I get the show I just taped from my minidisc to my computer?

It's connected to my computer via USB.  The provided software will not let me transfer.  Copywrite protection and whatnot.

I feel stupid  :-\

-grae

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Stupidest newbie question ever - Entry #6503:
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2003, 12:24:46 AM »
Welcome to the forum! We were all n00bs at some point or other. +T for taking the time to browse before asking your question. While I do not have an answer for you yet, I think you will find that it's easier for people to help you if you list what gear you are using, specifically what brand and model MD player and what type of computer running what operating system.

Hopefully I, or someone else here, can help you out once we have more info from you.

-Matt
Out of the game … for now?

Offline grae313

• Taperssection Newbie
  • no.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2003, 12:25:33 AM »
I see that since my recording is in analog I will have to convert it to digital.  What are some options in terms of quality/price/ease?  Or where can I go to educate myself on some options?  Eventually I want all the best high quality equiptment, but for now is there a cheap easy way or should I do nothing until I can afford a V3 or MiniMe?

Offline grae313

• Taperssection Newbie
  • no.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2003, 12:34:06 AM »
MD: Sony MZ-NF810

Heh, in defense of myself and my MD recorder, I'd just like to say that this setup was a temporary solution for an emergency and I will be doing some *massive* upgrading in the near future. :)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2003, 12:58:05 AM »
one of my fav setups so far....

b+k 4022 >>> v3 or
b+K 4022 >>> v2 >>>ad2k or
schopes m222/mk4or41's >>>v3or akg 480x >>>v2>>>modsbm-1

just my 00.02

you're gonna get a lot of suggestions....gotta go w/ your own ear...just ask for some comparison tapes...dont think it will be hard... ;)

bean
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2003, 01:05:03 AM »
I'm looking at the manual for the MD player you described - here: http://www.minidisc.org/manuals/sony/sony_mznf810_manual.pdf. It seems like the USB connection is one-way, from computer out to minidisc.

The data on the MD is already digital. In order to get it on your computer without going D/A/D, you need a MD deck with a digital output and a digital input on your computer's sound card. If you want to keep it digital, I'd suggest asking around to find someone to transfer for you. Posting in the open forum asking if anyone can do a MD digital transfer for you might get a response.

"All the best high quality equipment" is a very subjective thing. The important thing is that YOU like how your recordings come out. Many people have recommended running a modified UA-5 (do a search for mod UA-5 on this board). It depends on your mics. If you have a DAT deck with a good A/D, then perhaps a battery box or preamp will be sufficient until you have the funds to do a major upgrade. Listen to recordings others have made with rigs that are similar to what you are thinking of and see what you like.

Remember to have fun while doing all of this!  ;D
Out of the game … for now?

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2003, 01:20:28 AM »
I'm looking at the manual for the MD player you described - here: http://www.minidisc.org/manuals/sony/sony_mznf810_manual.pdf. It seems like the USB connection is one-way, from computer out to minidisc.

The data on the MD is already digital. In order to get it on your computer without going D/A/D, you need a MD deck with a digital output and a digital input on your computer's sound card. If you want to keep it digital, I'd suggest asking around to find someone to transfer for you. Posting in the open forum asking if anyone can do a MD digital transfer for you might get a response.

"All the best high quality equipment" is a very subjective thing. The important thing is that YOU like how your recordings come out. Many people have recommended running a modified UA-5 (do a search for mod UA-5 on this board). It depends on your mics. If you have a DAT deck with a good A/D, then perhaps a battery box or preamp will be sufficient until you have the funds to do a major upgrade. Listen to recordings others have made with rigs that are similar to what you are thinking of and see what you like.

Remember to have fun while doing all of this!  ;D

very nice, matt d.....ya hit the nail on the head... ;)

+T my phriend...go team latenite... ;D

bean

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2003, 01:33:09 AM »
there is no way to send data from your MD to your computer it only works one way, the only way other than a player that has a optical out, or coax digital, with your computer having the same inputs is to buy the expensive hhb MD recorder with a usb connection to upload but its pricy at about 1400, i'd go to a dat before that.  also look at the below address it should let you know whats up, good luck man.

http://www.minidisc.org/uploader_table.html
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2003, 01:41:09 AM »
good post....
+T seximexi

bean

Offline blu666z

• AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2003, 01:54:44 AM »
Grae, check you PMs.  I can help you with the transfers if you need it.

-Kevin

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2003, 02:26:50 AM »
another problem solved....WAY better than rat shack... ;)

bean

Offline grae313

• Taperssection Newbie
  • no.
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2003, 04:11:17 AM »
Thanks everyone.  Kevin, I might just take you up on that generous offer, but first, my MD has an optical output and I have access to a Nomad 3 Jukebox.  What about recording the show to the Nomad 3 through the optical cable then putting it on my computer from there?  Would that work? If so, would there be drawbacks in terms of quality?

-grae

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2003, 04:26:14 AM »
Thanks everyone.  Kevin, I might just take you up on that generous offer, but first, my MD has an optical output and I have access to a Nomad 3 Jukebox.  What about recording the show to the Nomad 3 through the optical cable then putting it on my computer from there?  Would that work? If so, would there be drawbacks in terms of quality?

-grae

Your MD doesn't quiiiite have optical out - no portables that I know of do. The best solution is to get the show transferred from an MD deck (a big-ass one like I have, not portable) with digital out and into a digi sound card. I don't have any experience with the JB3, but recording a digital signal into the JB3 and firewiring from that technically should yield no difference in quality. But it's another step and you never know.

Offline grae313

• Taperssection Newbie
  • no.
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2003, 04:56:42 AM »

Your MD doesn't quiiiite have optical out - no portables that I know of do.

Damn! And here I thought I had come up with a clever solution.  I guess I'll have to send it to someone who can transfer it for me.  :'(  poop.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2003, 05:01:43 AM »
I tried it too when I first got my MD... I think everyone does. I'd offer to do the (Meshuggah, right?) transfer for you but I'm waiting to do my own until I get a new sound card, which should be this week and I really don't even have the time to do that. ;) I'd love to do it, though...
Armen

Offline grae313

• Taperssection Newbie
  • no.
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2003, 05:20:27 AM »
Yep, Meshuggah  ;)

'sup Armen.  Thanks for the thought.  Kevin offered too so I'll take him up on that.  You can do my next one if you want though  :P It'll be way better.  I couldn't get it to record with my levels lowered in time so the tape's kinda messed (listenable but not good).  You were right about security - they could have given a shit.  I stood on a little foot high platform right infront of sbd, MD in hand and three inches of microphone sticking out of my head and I if anyone noticed they certainly didn't care.

Anyway, I'm having a great time experiencing these shows from an entirely different perspective.  I'm looking forward to hearing my tapes get better and better.  good stuff!

-grae

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2003, 05:32:27 AM »
Ouch. Yeah, I did something similar when I recorded Jimmy Suck Dick back when I was running the Giant Squids - last show I think I did with those. I missed the first 30 seconds and got brave setting my levels that night and the recording paid for it. I hated the band so I never bothered transferring it. I don't think I ever will, either... :) Right after that I bought CSBs and a Denecke AD-20 and got those prollems fixed!
Yeah, it's always best to be really discreet when stealthing, but sometimes you just know that no one gives. At all.
Good stuff is right!
A

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2003, 02:17:06 PM »

-grae

if you have access to a JB3, then why not record your original recordings to (.wav) via JB3 and skip the MD and it's nasty compression scheme altogether?  then transfer is a simple Firewire drag and drop away.  sweatless.  ;)

peace

~S  

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2003, 02:37:38 PM »
If I remember correctly ;) ;) grae is a stealther!

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2003, 02:42:07 PM »
For post #667, 'cause I know Scott don' like it: ;D recording with the JB3 isn't a bad idea if it can be stealthed. How good is it as a standalone unit? A/D and such, possible errors?

Offline grae313

• Taperssection Newbie
  • no.
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2003, 06:42:11 PM »

if you have access to a JB3, then why not record your original recordings to (.wav) via JB3 and skip the MD and it's nasty compression scheme altogether?  then transfer is a simple Firewire drag and drop away.

At the time of the recording I didn't know that I had the access.  But now I'm thinking I want to return my MD recorder and get my own JB3, but is it any good?  I'm skeptical because they are cheaper than a good MD recorder, and I would think if they were cheaper and could do as good a job if not better I would be hearing more about them.

As for stealth, they are about the size of a discman.  I think I might be able to fit that in my baggy pants  ;)  Security doesn't like to pat that far up, 'specially with a girl.

So, is the JB3 any good?  Do I have any other options in the same price range?  How much are low-end recorders with digi out?

-grae

Tim

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2003, 09:46:49 PM »
considering that it records in uncompressed .wav format it is already better than an MD.

you can also digitally transfer via a usb or firewire... another thing that a portabke MD won't do for you...

JB3 v. MD... no question about it, take the JB3.

Don't be fooled by prices... good luck!

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2003, 12:01:37 AM »
Grae, if you can pull off sneaking in that funny-shaped thing, then for heck's sake, go for it! I wonder how its a/d compares to the MD's. Better/worse? Anyone know?

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • I am a real American
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2003, 07:45:40 PM »
Why not just do an analog out from the headphone into the line in on the comp and record using cdwav.  Thats what i did for awhile and ripped off some nice tapes.  Thats my 0.02.  

I had the sony net md.  What a piece of shit.

Offline blu666z

• AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2003, 08:30:58 PM »
Why not just do an analog out from the headphone into the line in on the comp and record using cdwav.  Thats what i did for awhile and ripped off some nice tapes.  Thats my 0.02.  

I had the sony net md.  What a piece of shit.

Why convert it back to analog and then back to digital again if you don't have to?

-Kevin

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2003, 09:25:26 PM »
Right.

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2003, 07:39:21 PM »
i had a md at first, before getting the whole rig together, and i had plenty of good experiences with it... my transfer process was like this:
i found a japanese made sony md station that had a detachable md recorder (similar to a mz-r37 except older and clunkier) and the station it sat in had an optical out!  you can probably find a home md deck with a digi out for not too much cash for digital transfers...then i took that optical signal into a soundblaster live! 5.1 with the add-on card + digi/opti i/o module....not the most accurate (or so i've read) transfer method, but it kept the signal digital and i couldn't hear a difference.  from there, i recorded real-time into sound forge 4.5xp which came with the soundblaster card (later moved up to sf5.0) and it was all good.  no d>a>d necessary.
of course, if you don't think you'll be keeping the md for that long, you may not want to invest in all that crap.  of couse, if you do plan on continuing taping, without the md, you'll want to get a whole different slew of crap!  my advice, save money where you can, but don't skimp on quality...
i have since upgraded my whole setup to a laptop, a usbpre (pre-amp, a>d converter, capable of 24-bit/48khz), some nice mics that i liked, and a echo mia card for my home pc, strictly for the bit accuracy and 24-bit/96khz d>a for playback on some schweet powered studio monitors...
my name is simp-dawg and i am a gear whore.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2003, 09:17:34 AM »

Your MD doesn't quiiiite have optical out - no portables that I know of do........

I know of one  ;). The Sony MZ-1 has an optical in AND out.  

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.156 seconds with 56 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com