Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Additional Omni Mic for a better Room sound?  (Read 1837 times)

Offline ricola

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Additional Omni Mic for a better Room sound?
« on: June 16, 2016, 03:09:31 PM »
I want to ask you if you could give me any recommendations for my recording equipment?

I usually tape in small to medium Jazz venues. I use a Mic Stereo Bar mounted with 2x Neumann KM 140 in ORTF configuration. Sometimes it sounds a little bit harsh and thin. So a friend told me that he use sometimes two omni mics somethere in the room (I think the best way is the left and right corner of the stage??) to add a more warmer and fuller sound.
I have two types of omni/multipattern mics - small condenser for example AKG C460/CK62 ULS or Shure KM140 and Large Diaphragm Condenser Microphones like Aston Spirit or Sennheiser MK8. Which type of mic is better for such a room recording?? Large Diaphragm Mics are usually for vocals and close micing, but often I saw this type of mics also on different Rig-pictures together with cardioid small concensers on the same Stereo bar.

My first experience with the Aston Spirit was a quite muffled sound..... I don't know if it would be a good Idea to add it to the "clean sound" of my KM140's....??

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks and greetings from Germany!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 03:15:59 PM by ricola »

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
Re: Additional Omni Mic for a better Room sound?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 03:42:16 PM »
Your AKG 62 caps are definitely what you want to use if adding omni.  But most people here add more mics to highlight an instrument or add dimensionality, not to correct a setup that doesn't sound good to begin with.  I would use some post-processing to see if you can get the sound you're looking for.  The Neumann's are great mics and capable of outstanding recordings.  You also might try a different mic configuration.  ORTF is not usually the go-to method for the situation you describe.  You could try ORTF or NOS on stage, or DIN further back, or spaced omni, and get a feel for that room.  I think those options could create better recordings as first options rather than adding more mics.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com