Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F8 Recorder Part 3  (Read 96902 times)

Offline IronFilm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
Re: Zoom F8 Recorder Part 3
« Reply #105 on: June 09, 2018, 08:53:52 AM »
I finally got around to calling the Zoom Service number. It was answered on the second ring by a knowledgeable and courteous guy who immediatly said they would replace my unit at no cost, and even pay shipping for mine to come to them.

I was sure he misunderstood me when i said it was way out of warranty coverage and i had to interupt him because i was positive he hadnt heard me correctly. He kind of chuckled a bit and shocked me by saying that my issue isnt a constantly seen issue it is however one they have had issues with, and they would treat my unit as if it were under full warranty with my proof of purchase from a authorized Zoom Sales retailer.

Mine was purchased 2/16/16 from b&h amd a screenshot of the order history on my b&h account of the purchase info was more than enough to satisfy him.

I was offered a new unit up front for a temp 500$ hold to a cc til my unit arrived, or they could ship a new one right out as soon as they receive mine.

I spaced on asking if i could chip in the addition 200$ the F8n retail price is appearing to be set at, and get a f8n instead. I hope they will allow that, as i will def be doing that.

Wow! I am fully amazed by that.

People like to hate upon Zoom because they "have poor custom service/support" compared to the big guys in the location sound world, but nope! I think Zoom is worth very penny.

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2018, 10:41:40 AM »
No doubt! It is damn near 16 months out of warranty.

I was more than willing to wind up paying what wouldve been half the units value today to get it repaired too.

Im hoping they let me upgrade to the f8n for the retail price difference. Its been awhile since i had a new toy to play with!

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2018, 07:19:20 AM »
took them til yesterday to respond to my inquiry about a possible credit towards the f8n when released, and they said "no, we can only offer you the f8 at this time".

kinda bummed, but at the same time its hard to be butt hurt with a new f8 to reaplce mine especially out of warranty!

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2018, 08:59:25 AM »
Indeed!

Plus they probably want to clear out whatever stock of F8 they have left before the F8n ships, so they'd probably rather you took the F8 than an F8n.

Ah well, you could always sell the replacement as a "mint new F8" when it comes back? Still got time to do this before the F8n arrives! ;-)

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2018, 09:27:45 PM »
App updated finally FINALLY: <<2.0.0 Jun 14, 2018
Improved not to put iOS device in sleep mode while using F8 Control.
The F8n has been added as a supported device.>>

Yay? But yikes, I hope Zoom is going to do a *lot* more than just that for the app! After 3 long years of nothing, a lot more is needed.

I mean, the version history is going from v1.1 to v2.0, so that *must* indicate some very large improvements over the old app beyond what is just listed in the notes? Any one with an F8 and an iOS device who can confirm this? (Android and F4 user here....)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/f8-control/id1014945716

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #110 on: June 20, 2018, 07:41:26 PM »
Still a bit shocked at every step of the way on my unit being replaced.

They received my unit on monday, the same day they tested it to verify its dead and no dc inputs work and the aa tray isnt working either.

They shipped me out a new unit the same afternoon!

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2018, 10:15:22 PM »
Interesting about the battery tray.  I had my original tray go dead on me, outside of the warranty period, and bought a replacement.  I wonder if anyone else has had battery tray issues?  Outside of that, it has worked like a champ.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline Perry

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2018, 11:08:48 PM »
My battery sled failed right out of the box. It was a cold solder joint on the little PCB behind the plastic cover that shrouds the rear connector. I fixed it myself. I noticed Zoom did away with the sled on the F8n.
"It hurts to lean back in handcuffs..."
^^~~~~~~~Todd Snider~~~~~~~^^

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2018, 07:45:00 AM »
I don't understand why so many manufacturers use these battery trays / sleds.  It seems like it unnecessarily introduces several additional points of failure.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2018, 12:18:53 PM »
Interesting about the battery tray.  I had my original tray go dead on me, outside of the warranty period, and bought a replacement.  I wonder if anyone else has had battery tray issues?  Outside of that, it has worked like a champ.
For anyone who has this issue, keep in mind that many credit cards have extended warranties and this would be covered. It is always worth a call.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2018, 08:41:28 PM »
Still a bit shocked at every step of the way on my unit being replaced.

They received my unit on monday, the same day they tested it to verify its dead and no dc inputs work and the aa tray isnt working either.

They shipped me out a new unit the same afternoon!

Too often people bring up the red herring of "oh but Sound Devices is worth paying more for because customer service blah blah blah", yet the evidence shows that Zoom is doing surprisingly well in this area! Even though their products are cheaper.

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2018, 11:46:12 PM »
I have another positive part of the replacement process that is worth mentioning, just to show the level of attention this company paid during the process.

my unit was received, checked, and replaced in less that one business day after my dead f8 arrived.

As soon as my dead unit was a day or two into the return shipping and well out of reach for me, i realized i had not removed my 3d printed knobs, and neutrick xlr booty covers for the inputs i never used. I had read on the RA form to just send the bare unit for testing as thats all that will be semt back etc etc.

I willingly just looked at the 3d knobs as a loss, and thought id have to buy a new set. But i was pumped when i opened my package from Zoom to find the knobs and booties all packaged up nice and taped to the bubble wrape on my new f8 replacement.

I think i want an F8n now!

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #117 on: June 24, 2018, 01:01:11 AM »
I have another positive part of the replacement process that is worth mentioning, just to show the level of attention this company paid during the process.

my unit was received, checked, and replaced in less that one business day after my dead f8 arrived.

As soon as my dead unit was a day or two into the return shipping and well out of reach for me, i realized i had not removed my 3d printed knobs, and neutrick xlr booty covers for the inputs i never used. I had read on the RA form to just send the bare unit for testing as thats all that will be semt back etc etc.

I willingly just looked at the 3d knobs as a loss, and thought id have to buy a new set. But i was pumped when i opened my package from Zoom to find the knobs and booties all packaged up nice and taped to the bubble wrape on my new f8 replacement.

I think i want an F8n now!

Do it! :-D
Join the gang. I've placed my order.

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #118 on: June 24, 2018, 04:40:50 AM »
Oh interesting, at B&H they've now switched it back to "pre-order" status, which is kinda odd as others have got a shipping notification from B&H and when my order was placed through they had them all in stock. I guess their stock must have sold out very quickly!

Who else has ordered a F8n?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1411499-REG/zoom_zf8n_zoom_f8n_multi_track_recorder.html

Offline ricola

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2018, 01:06:12 PM »
I still don't understand the Input M/S linking funktion for the Zoom F8.
Usually I wanted a RAW signal (separat for Mid and Side) to change the amount of Mid or Side later in my DAW. If I enable the Zoom MS Decoder for this recorded signal in my DAW....it sounds really strange.
So it seems, with the M/S Linking function the recorded Stereo file is already a decoded and finished signal??

So maybe I have to use the normal Stereo linking funktion to record a RAW Mid and Side Signal which I can change later in my DAW??

Thanks for your help....
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 01:27:50 PM by ricola »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com