Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: mini jecklin or baffle  (Read 3948 times)

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
mini jecklin or baffle
« on: January 25, 2015, 02:27:56 AM »
Are there any commercial mini baffles available?

I want something around 4-5" diameter or square with a standard mic thread.

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: mini jecklin or baffle
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 06:57:46 AM »

There are some commercial Jecklin or Schneider disks availble from Core Sound, MBHO or Josephson

http://www.core-sound.com/jecklin/1.php
http://www.thomann.de/gb/haun_oss_jecklinscheibe.htm
http://vintageking.com/josephson-ossdisk#description

Apparently, the diameter of each of these disks is about 30 cm (~12").

There's some interesting post on mini Jecklin disks on head-fi.org, though (http://www.head-fi.org/t/565397/jecklin-or-schneider-disc):

(...)

Yes. I have experimented with various stereo minimalist mic'ing techniques. A mini-Jecklin or mini-Schneider will not provide the soundstage nor the localization you are looking for. I have found that with both designs, bigger is usually better. However, if it is too big, you will have to adjust your sound during post processing to compensate for certain problems. However, once that compensation is done, it will sound phenomenal. My recommendation would be to stick to a disc that is around 12 - 14 inches in diameter and the microphones spaced 8 inches from the center of the disc. With that configuration, you will not really need much post-processing.

Critical to all these techniques is PLACEMENT! All of these techniques require very careful placement of the microphones as they will pick up everything...every little nuance, cough, movement, reflection, etc. You need a good room, good musicians and good placement and very accurate monitoring for these techniques to sound best.

Offline Tom McCreadie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 03:54:19 PM »

What's your rationale behind this? Were you hoping to stick with omni's but do a proportionate downscaling of the JD geometry elements - disk diameter and inter-mic spacing?

If so, IMHO that idea wouldn't work properly:  It might be OK for the high frequencies, as shielding and absorption is the main operational principle there, and the "shading-cone angle" remains constant with proportionate downscaling.  But JD shielding doesn't do anything for the low frequencies - they get handled by the arrival time differences (i.e. by mic spacing)...and on psychoacoustic grounds, I don't think the time difference can really be scaled down.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 03:55:52 PM by Tom McCreadie »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 11:12:36 AM »
M0k3 used to run a square miniature baffle about that size using DPA 4060s, mostly up front or on-stage.  It was a DIY setup, I don't think there is anything commercially available that small.  For proper shadowing effect, the capsules should be mounted closer to the faces of the baffle than with a full sized Jecklin-disk.  There used to be a bunch of photos of his mini-Jecklin variants in the various J-disk threads here years ago, but they might have gone away with the great-purge.

The small baffle works and is significantly more practical in many situations.  But Tom makes a good point and I prefer a larger baffle allowing for more spacing between microphones.  Even a full sized Jecklin isn't big enough to allow enough spacing IMO.  Jorg himself moved toward using a somewhat larger disk with increased spacing over the "Standard Jecklin disk" arrangement he is known for.   I have in the past considered using two separate miniature baffles- one for each microphone, allowing closer microphone to baffle spacing on each side but with increased spacing between the two microphones.  I suspect that might work best of all, but never figured a good way to rig it and never built the small baffles.  I did build an over-sized single baffle which would allow the spacing I wanted, but it was grossly impractical and I never ran it.  It's pictured in one of the Jecklin DIY threads here.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline mixedplate

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 08:49:48 PM »
Awhile back I made a mini Jecklin disk for use with the "T-mic" that came with Microtrack.   Basically bisected the T-mic with a disk which was made up with hard foam center, plastic yogurt container lids on either side, covered with black felt on the outside.   Mount is a piece of dowel with 3/8 threaded insert, let into the disk and riveted to it.   Have not recorded any musical sources with it, but it sounded pretty good, or at least interesting, on some ambience type recordings.   And yes, it has a certain "Mickey Mouse" aspect...

Offline mixedplate

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 12:05:41 AM »
It happens to be 4 1/2 inch diameter. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com