Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA d:VICE just announced  (Read 157465 times)

Offline texasmfp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DPA d:VICE just announced
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 02:11:14 PM »
Interesting!

How much will it cost?

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 02:22:13 PM »
Interesting!

How much will it cost?

Since it says DPA on it, it won't be cheap.

That being said...it looks pretty interesting. I think it will be pretty nice for shows with metal detectors. Maybe I'll get back on Team DPA with this thing.

Looks like Apple only. No Android that I could see.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 05:05:06 PM »
Very cool!  This is a game changer.

Four channel version please..
..actually a six channel version is the thing of my dreams, but isn't likely.  Yet I can imagine them making a four channel version.

I don't care for the radially oriented inputs at all, which is simply terrible for cable management.  It would be much better if they were parallel with the USB port..  and arranged in two sets of three!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 06:04:48 AM »
Interesting!

How much will it cost?

$650.

The built-in DAC is certainly a big value add, but that's really quite steep for what it is, IMO.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 12:18:37 PM »
The weird radial inouts not great for  >:D
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 02:08:15 PM »
A single locking mini-xlr or binder input would be much better.. and will represent a considerable improvement in format on the forthcoming 4/6 channel version.  ;)  Since we're redesigning this for them, I'd like to see an on-board battery to increase run-time and reduce draw from the phone, with menu settings for power management with options like: draw from both sources; draw from internal battery first then switch to phone's power; phone-power only (so as not to burn phone-power charging a dead d:VICE battery); etc.

Curious how power-on/off, gain, filter and other settings work.  No obvious physical controls on the unit, so everything must be controllable through the app. 
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 12:18:18 PM »
I think this is pretty awesome. If the battery life is as good as DPA says, it will be really great. I love how it can run both the miniature mics and the full size capsules (with the MMP-G cables). Form factor is a little weird, but not a deal breaker for me, as it will be a super compact set-up. I will almost certainly give one of these a try...

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 01:10:05 PM »
It's value is enabling a very compact, clean, direct-to-phone rig that fits in a pocket.  The disappointment is that the input format design doesn't provide robust input connector and cable protection - making for unnecessary strikes against compactness and pocket-ability.

I'd buy if DPA produces one that can do 4 or more channels, at which point it would need a single multi-pin mic input to achieve reasonable cable management.  Also would prefer it to work with Android devices.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 09:51:10 AM »
Team Early Adopter now forming
I like simple and small

Some of my best recordings came from AT943ES / XLR mod.  >> FR-2

Will this polarize the AT943ES set properly?

Not having a 'droid app sux0rs, because mounting 128GB card is cake on all the new Samsung devices.

$650 to power the AT set, amplify as transparent or slightly warm the signal, and bucket to 128GB of phone storage would be all that I ever wanted from "taping", short of holding a CD in the air and having the show dynamically imprint itself in the dye.
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 10:11:14 AM »
Does the AT943ES function correctly powered with a 5 or 6V supply in 2-wire config?  If so I'd imagine they'd work, as I suspect that's the mic supply voltage this device provides. 

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 01:16:46 AM »
Interesting... marking thread. Might need to join team dpa, someday sooner then I was thinking...
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 05:24:23 PM »
I think this is pretty awesome. If the battery life is as good as DPA says, it will be really great. I love how it can run both the miniature mics and the full size capsules (with the MMP-G cables). Form factor is a little weird, but not a deal breaker for me, as it will be a super compact set-up. I will almost certainly give one of these a try...
Wouldn't full size capsules require phantom power thus a battery box in front of the DPA d:vice? I'm trying to limit the number of items and size for a stealth rig so this seems questionable to me.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 05:55:07 PM »
I suspect the DPA "active" adapter cable thing with the capsule mount at one end and the microdot at the other contains voltage converter circuitry which steps up from 5V to whatever bias voltage the full size capsule needs to operate.. probably not to full specification as if using the DPA modular amplifier bodies, but "good enough for taper work" given the compact stealthiness trade-off.

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 06:29:36 PM »
I suspect the DPA "active" adapter cable thing with the capsule mount at one end and the microdot at the other contains voltage converter circuitry which steps up from 5V to whatever bias voltage the full size capsule needs to operate.. probably not to full specification as if using the DPA modular amplifier bodies, but "good enough for taper work" given the compact stealthiness trade-off.
Sounds like a much larger battery drain and thus less recording time. I totally agree with you on a mini xlr would be much more secure as well as robust connection over the micro dot.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 06:31:13 PM by MBHOTAPER »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com