Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA d:VICE just announced  (Read 157516 times)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Re: DPA d:VICE just announced
« Reply #105 on: September 03, 2017, 12:32:12 PM »
I have not noticed any glitches (with iPhone 6s), but I'll watch for them.

What battery life do you get with the iPod (and which model are you using)?

Jeff

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #106 on: September 03, 2017, 08:12:13 PM »
Battery life is terrific. Dim brightness, auto lock after 30 seconds and airplane mode...

Most recent ipod, 32 gig, latest iOS
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #107 on: September 05, 2017, 05:26:53 PM »
I'm holding out for the 4-channel version.

Just posted this weekend on the DPA website, an excerpt from a Danish language review (I would love a translation of the full article) which notes:

"In this context, it is interesting that you can feed the d:viceTM a sync signal to one of the Microdot inputs and thereby use several d:viceTM units simultaneously and in perfect sync."  I would guess this requires two iPhones as well, but am waiting to hear from DPA on how this syncing would be done.

Jeff

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #108 on: September 05, 2017, 08:46:15 PM »
Hmmm, interesting, thanks.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2017, 08:40:36 PM »
Reply from DPA, this doesn't look useful for me for four channel, unless with FOUR d:vices and phones:

"... we are using one of the audio inputs to feed the SMPTE timecode into the recording while leaving the other track free for a microphone input.
Tentacle has a small software (free) which erases the timecode track and leaves you with the file type you prefer and with the timecode embedded into the file.
It takes only a few seconds in the post situation to accomplish this.
Please visit the homepage of this timecode generator company:
https://www.tentaclesync.com/

The cable to be used for this purpose needs to be set up correctly and I can’t recommend to experience with other timecode generator brands without consulting the schematics of such types as we are sending out a DC (5V) on the MicroDot connectors.
Also we are using a “sense” mechanism to determine whether one or two inputs are active.

The set-up is very nice when you are doing work with multicam (on iOS) or mixed environment camera set-ups as the Tentacle units can be jam synced to other kind of gear (like an ENG camera, DSLR or whatever).

Other means of multicam recordings/productions can be made “on the fly” with for example the Filmic pro App and their corresponding Filmic Remote, where you can control several iOS units from a “master” iOS unit or even an Apple watch.
You can then make sure you are ending up with fx 3 files that have been started/stopped at the same time and with the same metadata.

For sound purposes only the Apogee App handles a similar recording."

On the other hand, I ran a quick and unexpected positive test of an Android bitbucket.  I just upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 with Android 7, and used the app which Chrysler suggested to me above, USB Audio Recorder Pro, which has just been upgraded to support Android 7.  A quick test showed recording at 24/96 successful, with all the high frequencies present in an iZotope scan.  So maybe the new Sony phone will work with the MMA-A?

Jeff

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2017, 12:55:30 AM »
Finally got to test my d:vice/iPhone with an orchestral group this weekend.  I am very happy with the result.  My impression is that it is cleaner than my earlier setups, DPA4060 > MMA6000 > D50 or DPA4060 > Church "Ugly" > M10.   Here is a link to a sample, comments welcome:

https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/tx2FgOtbxT/fi-9b2f4ead-00ed-4aba-aa74-9f81864f1f54/fv-e5afe76d-dbf1-4665-9a3f-1b1994edb3e2/Sample2.wav

Jeff

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #111 on: September 18, 2017, 08:58:03 AM »
Thanks for the sample Jeff, sounds very right to my ears.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2017, 01:50:40 AM »
Having tried the d:vice MMA-A with piano, accordion, organ and period instrument group, I was anxious to try it also with symphony orchestra, to see if it would cover all the stuff I do.  So I hopped over to hear a local student orchestra with a young soloist.  I think it came out very well (and the waveform looks really clean).  Here's a sample:

https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/EMtO3iNdpb

Jeff

Offline Duncan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2017, 01:23:39 PM »
Having tried the d:vice MMA-A with piano, accordion, organ and period instrument group, I was anxious to try it also with symphony orchestra, to see if it would cover all the stuff I do.  So I hopped over to hear a local student orchestra with a young soloist.  I think it came out very well (and the waveform looks really clean).  Here's a sample:

https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/EMtO3iNdpb

Jeff

That sound really nice, would you say that this thing could cope with stack humping at a heavy rock gig?

Cheers
Duncan
Recording for 39 years and counting, down not up
Schoeps CCM5--SD722
DPA 4061--SD722
AKG CK 61-ULS--Naiant Actives--SD722
DPA 4061 - DPA d:VICE - iPhone 6s+
MixPre6 with some mics

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2017, 03:32:55 PM »

That sound really nice, would you say that this thing could cope with stack humping at a heavy rock gig?

Cheers
Duncan

I have no idea, but I ran it with 11 dB gain using DPA 4060s, which are really hot mics, and boosted 1.7dB in post.  With DPA4061s, flat gain and no additions in post you have an additional ~23 dB of headroom over the loudest drum thumps of a Strauss suite (not in the sample I posted), from front row center in a smaller hall.  If that isn't enough room I'd hate to be present to try it.

Jeff

Offline thatjackelliott

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2017, 05:15:55 PM »
"[...] piano, accordion, organ and period instrument group[...]"

I don't think a lot was written for that formation!  :yahoo:

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2017, 09:52:41 PM »
"[...] piano, accordion, organ and period instrument group[...]"

I don't think a lot was written for that formation!  :yahoo:

Well, there's the Bach arrangement of "Lady of Spain."  I dunno, could be an interesting combo, ya think?

Offline Duncan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2017, 04:12:51 PM »
So I've just got a D:vice (for the ever increasing need for super stealth in the UK) and I was wondering which recording app/s I should get. I will be recording at 24/48
I've seen a few mentioned but there are so many out there!
That Rode one sure gets some s*** reviews

Duncan
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 03:41:58 AM by Duncan »
Schoeps CCM5--SD722
DPA 4061--SD722
MixPre6 with some mics

Offline Duncan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #118 on: September 29, 2017, 07:21:58 AM »
I've been trying out my new D:Vice and I'm getting lot of crashes with the software and it's disconnected a few times and also when recording the recording app switches back to the iPhone mic (which I assume is a result of the disconnecting issue)

Anyone else having these issues.

I've stupidly updated to iOS 11 so might be related to that

Duncan
Schoeps CCM5--SD722
DPA 4061--SD722
MixPre6 with some mics

Online beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #119 on: September 29, 2017, 08:42:22 AM »
I've been trying out my new D:Vice and I'm getting lot of crashes with the software and it's disconnected a few times and also when recording the recording app switches back to the iPhone mic (which I assume is a result of the disconnecting issue)

Anyone else having these issues.

I've stupidly updated to iOS 11 so might be related to that

Duncan

Make sure to use Airplane Mode and also Do Not Disturb.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com