Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA d:VICE just announced  (Read 157479 times)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DPA d:VICE just announced
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2017, 06:49:03 PM »
This might get me to lose the cs batt box > sbm-1.

Lotsa $$ though, and I would have to get my heb set terminated to microdot...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2017, 06:50:21 PM »
I suspect the DPA "active" adapter cable thing with the capsule mount at one end and the microdot at the other contains voltage converter circuitry which steps up from 5V to whatever bias voltage the full size capsule needs to operate.. probably not to full specification as if using the DPA modular amplifier bodies, but "good enough for taper work" given the compact stealthiness trade-off.

Per DPA, the MMP-GR/GS cables were designed to allow the full-size capsules to work with wireless transmitters, many of which supply 5 V (they spec the cables at 5 V and 1 mA for full performance). As you suspect, the max SPL decreases, while the noise increases, so not full spec (compared to the MMP-ER/ES XLR cables), but still decent for many taper applications. No idea how this affects run-time, but DPA told me the MPS-6030 or MMA-6000 would work fine with them. Very curious about how they would perform with the d:vice.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 08:56:11 AM »
Thanks for the confirmation on my speculation.  DPA has grown very modular over the past 5 years.  Lots of options here.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 10:33:20 AM »
I suspect the DPA "active" adapter cable thing with the capsule mount at one end and the microdot at the other contains voltage converter circuitry which steps up from 5V to whatever bias voltage the full size capsule needs to operate.. probably not to full specification as if using the DPA modular amplifier bodies, but "good enough for taper work" given the compact stealthiness trade-off.

DPA mics are pre-polarised (ie: electrets) so they don't need a capsule bias voltage at all.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2017, 11:42:43 AM »
I should have referred to it as FET or transistor power I suppose.  Correct, no high-voltage polarization bias is required with pre-polarized electrets, so running the capsules off a lower supply voltage won't affect capsule polarization the way it does with an externally polarized capsule.  It's simply the power requirements of the buffer/amplification circuitry which needs to be met, and those requirements vary depending on the specifications of that circuitry, hence the 5V, 48V and 130V DPA variants. 

Most users are familiar with pre-polarized eletrets in the form miniature microphones, most often but not always with a non-balanced output.  Use of electrets throughout the entire high-quality, regular-sized, balanced-output capsule range is unique to DPA as far as I'm aware.  Historically when other manufacturer's have used pre-polarized capsules in their non-miniature lines, it's been restricted to their lower-quality microphone lines.  I've long thought about the implications of high quality DPA capsules being pre-polarized with regards to alternate non-phantom powering options, and this is the first I've seen of them leveraging that particular advantage.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2017, 12:51:00 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation on my speculation.  DPA has grown very modular over the past 5 years.  Lots of options here.

Time to break out the MMA6000?

:bigsmile:
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2017, 02:29:46 PM »

Time to break out the MMA6000?

:bigsmile:

MMA6000 makes a post-retirement career move, as an analog-only, self-powered, larger-packaged and non-remote managed version of the d:vice interface. :cheers:

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2017, 03:42:55 PM »
Use of electrets throughout the entire high-quality, regular-sized, balanced-output capsule range is unique to DPA as far as I'm aware.  Historically when other manufacturer's have used pre-polarized capsules in their non-miniature lines, it's been restricted to their lower-quality microphone lines.

Sort of off topic but I'm almost positive that I read that the AKG CK_X series is a pre polarized version of the original CK_ series of capsules.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2017, 02:35:52 PM »
The d:vice™ MMA-A comes with one Micro USB-B to iOS (Lightning) and one Micro USB-B to PC / Mac (USB-A) cable.

So it should be able to interface with a PC in addition to iPhones/iPads. Perhaps there will be Android connectivity in the future? I see two different images that appear to show the d:vice accepting both types of cables.

What happens when Apple inevitably changes the lightning connector to something else?
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2017, 06:57:54 AM »
What happens when Apple inevitably changes the lightning connector to something else?

I would guess that DPA could address the (definitely inevitable) Lightning connector "upgrade" by offering a new micro USB-B to Apple cable?

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2017, 11:51:49 AM »
I don't know that I would use this at festivals and the like, but for  >:D and live streaming it seems ideal.

But IF one wanted to use this at a festival, I wonder if this would be beneficial...

https://www.amazon.com/Pen-Drive-G-TING-Lightning-Expansion-Computers/dp/B01IKE9SLY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1495468138&sr=8-3&keywords=external+iphone+storage
Line Audio CM-3, CM-4, Lewitt
Sound Devices MixPre-6 II |  Tascam DR-70D

Team Line Audio

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2017, 01:27:36 PM »

I would guess that DPA could address the (definitely inevitable) Lightning connector "upgrade" by offering a new micro USB-B to Apple cable?

So it comes standard with a USB-B connector? It's difficult to tell from the pictures but the text seems to suggest that is the case. That certainly would be ideal.

I wonder if there would be a way to construct a breakout cable to allow for USB powering and 1/8" out.

Edit - it's showing up at B&H for $659.95, not yet in stock.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 01:42:16 PM by audBall »
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2017, 03:38:59 PM »
^ I think so, although it is difficult to tell. In the fourth picture down on this page, it does look like a micro USB. I guess DPA would avoid using an Apple connector on their side of things, too.

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2017, 09:52:00 PM »
Marking thread...this thing looks killer!

Offline texasmfp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2017, 01:52:54 PM »
If anybody is in SoCal, there will be a hands on demo with the DPA rep at Location Sound:

On Tuesday, June 13 (9:30 AM - 12 PM) at Location Sound, join Eric Stahlhammer, DPA's Area Sales Manager and (schedule-allowing) Peter Ølsted, a Los Angeles-based Production Sound Mixer. In this informal Open House and Q&A session, Eric and Peter will demo the latest DPA products such as the d:vice Digital Audio Interface, and much more. Save the date!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com