Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA d:VICE just announced  (Read 157486 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: DPA d:VICE just announced
« Reply #285 on: November 27, 2018, 05:42:59 AM »
thats a real bummer. do you have a techy friend with sight who can watch it? maybe its something very obvious that your accessibility software isnt indicating? if not i can try to troubleshoot with a webcam or something
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline briedis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #286 on: November 28, 2018, 03:38:32 PM »
I'm beyond pissed right now.

I've had two failures in the field this year with the D:vice and a pair of hat-mounted 4060's, and I have no idea why!

Both times, I return home to find I have recorded several gigs of… nothing. Empty bits. Gigs and gigs of nothing. Absolute digital silence.

Here's as much as I can tell about my set up and method. Any tips on what may be happening, or what I may be doing wrong, are very much appreciated.

The rig consists of:
iPhone 8 plus, 256GB, with iOS 11 back in August when the first failure occurred, and iOS 12 yesterday when the second one occurred.

DPA 4060's, poking out of a baseball cap... cables run down the back of my shirt, into a pocket, attached securely to the D:vice.  the USB-Lightning cable runs from the D:vice to my other pocket, and plugs into my phone. That's it. This is the simplest set up I've ever used, and yet, I seemingly have issues.

Procedure: Usually before leaving the house I:
1. wake up iPhone
2. plug in D:vice
3. Launch D:vice app, make sure it's set to stereo, a low gain setting, sometimes I engage the bass filter, and then I activate Lock, so nothing can be changed accidentally.
4. Launch Shure Motiv app and press Record.
5. Put phone to sleep and back in my pocket.

That's it. what the heck could I be getting wrong there?

the one flaw is I can't monitor or check through headphones before leaving the house. I have a newer phone without the standard 1/8" headphone jack, so unless I buy some wireless buds, I can't hear what's going on. I tried buying a lightning to lightning plus 1/8" adapter, but it doesn't seem to actually pass digital and audio at the same time.

I'm blind, and while Voiceover, the iOS screen reading function, does read me all the controls in the D:vice and Motiv apps, it will not read the meters, as they are graphical.
First failure was seeing Jeff Beck outdoors.

Last night's failure was at Steve Vai's Generation Axe tour, with Vai, Yngwie, Zakk Wyle, Nuno Bettencourt, and Tosin Abasi, in a theater with great acoustics. I had eleventh row floor, right in the middle, and heard lots of lovely stereo from the PA. *sigh*

Again, all tips welcome!

I usually feel a little on edge when I'm taping at a show, and honestly, if I can't get consistent results, I'm considering just selling this stuff and not worrying about it.

I had same experience with rode app. Stopped using, since rode app was not supporting multiple large files. if I was reaching five files larger that 2 hours audio (24.48) app was crashing, or taping blank digital silence files... very frustrating.

Now I am using Apogee Metarecorder. App also works with latest iOS 12.1.

I had also very bad surprises with current app, but that in fact has nothing to do with app itself.
If (during recording) you push and hold home button - be sure - recording will be interrupted and stopped. Therefore suggestion - disable SIRI when recording

My pretaping routine:
1. Home - Settings - Do not disturb
2. Hardware silence switch on the phone - set to silent
3. Home - Settings - General - Accessibility - Home button - Siri - OFF
4. best one to end up: Home - Settings - Airplane mode - Enable it ;)

Good luck.

BTW if you tape with Apogee - tape it to CAF format. This format allows to record files bigger than 2GB. Wav files are limited up to 2GB and recording stops.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #287 on: November 29, 2018, 01:39:12 AM »
3. Home - Settings - General - Accessibility - Home button - Siri - OFF

thanks missed this
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #288 on: December 08, 2018, 10:57:06 PM »
recorded dweezil last night, didnt want to mess with levels so just set both the d:vice app and voicerecordpro levels to their absolute minimum and ran at the usual 24/44.1. it peaked at -20 and i can hear no audible noise floor upon normalization. pretty idiot proof in this case

i was moving around a bit but check out the jam section of pygmy twylyte around 23:30 for some good dynamic sections. maybe 15 feet from the stack in a quiet sit-down section

https://soundcloud.com/umphluv/dweezil2018-12-07

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #289 on: December 13, 2018, 07:14:05 AM »
DPA is now a subsidiary of RCF, an Italian conglomerate!

SALUTI!
https://www.dpamicrophones.com/news/rcf-group-gibt-ubernahme-von-dpa-microphones-bekannt

RCF Group, one of the fastest growing organizations in the Pro Audio market, today announced the signing of a definitive agreement for the acquisition of DPA Microphones A/S (“DPA”) from The Riverside Company.
DPA, based in Allerod, Denmark, is the #1 premium brand in the high-end professional audio microphone market for the live, broadcast, theatre and studio end-user segments and is known as the undisputed quality leader in the industry, continuously pushing the boundaries with regards to performance and durability.

RCF Group, with Headquarters in Italy and branches in the USA and Europe, operates under the companies RCF, AEB Industriale (dB Technologies) and EAW and is an international leader in the design, production and sale of products and solutions for professional audio and installation systems. RCF Group generates over 80% of its revenues outside of Italy in 120 countries.
Next article:

https://www.psneurope.com/business/dpa-ceo-on-rcf-deal

Nielsen also confirmed that no staff will be affected and that DPA’s day-to-day activities will remain largely unchanged.

“In practical terms, it doesn't mean that much [for the brand],” he added. “The brand will stay the same – the quality will stay the same, the sound will stay the same.

We are still a Danish business, with the same strategy, the same management, production in Asnæs, headquarters in Allerød, the same employees, the same distribution chain model and the same high-quality products that our customers know and love worldwide.”
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #290 on: December 15, 2018, 01:03:10 AM »
they didnt say prices will stay the same!

:smash:

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #291 on: December 26, 2018, 11:07:19 PM »
can somebody whos a little more up to speed on apple gear explain to me the cheapest apple watch that can control the dvice or monitor levels? i see used older model apple watches all the time on ebay but dont know what to look for

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/voice-record-pro/id546983235#?platform=appleWatch

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #292 on: January 01, 2019, 12:06:04 PM »
Ok, time to try some different apps, after figuring out that it's probably the Shure Motiv app giving me blank wav files. I'm going to try Voice Recorder Pro, Audioshare, and that app someone mentioned in the thread that records to .CAF format.

Question: Which Windows DAW software or audio editing applications will open CAF? I gather that is a container format developed by Apple.  So far, I've only checked my copy of sound Forge 11, and CAF does not appear to be supported.

I like the idea of recording to one large file, without an app doing automatic file splits.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #293 on: January 01, 2019, 12:26:25 PM »
I am using the Rode app, which records to CAF.  Audacity will open CAF files and allow you to do splits, then export to reasonably sized wav files, and it's free software.  I have used the Rode app (at 24/96, using the paid-up version of the app) since the summer of 2017, made about 150 recordings with only one loss, when I neglected to hit "record" (can't blame that on Rode or DPA).

The only near-misses I have had relate to the DPA app/equipment: on two or three occasions I have had the DPA app not connect (leaving the iPhone mono mic as the input), plugging and unplugging the USB/Apple connector cord several times in panic (and later cleaning the contacts) has fixed this. 

Jeff

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #294 on: January 01, 2019, 12:36:55 PM »
Hi Jeff. Unfortunately, none of the controls in the Rhode app are read by Voiceover, the screen reader function built into iOS. so, as a blind guy, I must use something else.
But, thanks for that info - it's good to know that app works well.

Much earlier in this topic, someone mentioned that Audioshare will not automatically split at 4GB, and possibly, does not actually record at 96kHz. Is this still the case with that app?

Can someone verify that Voice Recorder Pro 7 does indeed capture full 96K?
Same goes for Metarecorder... actual 96K, or does it just pad things beyond a certain frequency?

(without getting into the whole "is beyond 44.1K worth it" debate... don't want to revive that one. LOL)

Sorry for all the questions, and all the best for 2019. May none of us have any taping mishaps!

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #295 on: January 01, 2019, 08:18:40 PM »
that would be tough to test "real" 96k as youd need a source that had frequencies up to 48K. d:vice output would prob look the same spectrally at all sample rates above 44.1 

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #296 on: January 01, 2019, 08:20:13 PM »
blindguy have you tried apogee metarecorder?

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #297 on: January 01, 2019, 09:05:05 PM »
that would be tough to test "real" 96k as youd need a source that had frequencies up to 48K. d:vice output would prob look the same spectrally at all sample rates above 44.1

????  This is absolutely not true.

One hall I record in has a motion-detection high frequency system that operates at 32.771 kHz.  This also shows up in all the DPA MMA-A recordings I make there at 96 kHz sampling.  When I recorded with the DPA MMA-A d:vice with an app that claimed to be operating at 96 kHz but just filled, the frequency plot above ~20 kHz went dead black while with the Rode app there is a smooth transition up there, and for some noises certainly signal there.

Jeff

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #298 on: January 01, 2019, 11:40:30 PM »
nice, did not know the mics went that high. sounds like youre well equipped to test the voicerecord app for 96K, i think theres a free version with limited capability

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #299 on: January 02, 2019, 09:57:59 AM »
Hi @WiFiJeff. That is very interesting about the 32K signal. I've been reading about the symptoms experienced by foreign diplomats in Cuba, symptoms ranging from anxiety, all the way up to what looks like concussion, albeit without head trauma having occurred.  As you can imagine, the theories as to what was happening there are all over the map, including Russian microwave weapons.

But, one article I read, included a report of hearing a sound "like a cricket", along with the theory that it was generated by two higher frequencies mixing in the air, producing undertones. So, it would be 32K mixing with something else, and the resulting beating generating something down in the audible range for humans.  Sorry for the digression. It's an interesting thought to include in the "do higher sampling rates matter" debates though.

Could you or someone else do us a huge favor and run a quick test on the Voice Record Pro 7, and Metarecorder apps, to confirm that they are capturing higher frequencies? Those are my two choices, since the Rode app actually silences the iOS screenreader completely (I've never seen an app do that before). And, I don't like some aspects of Audioshare.

Thanks.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com