Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA5 mod comparison ("warm" vs. "presence/clarity")  (Read 13398 times)

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
UA5 mod comparison ("warm" vs. "presence/clarity")
« on: April 21, 2003, 08:40:04 AM »
Doug Oade was nice enough to lend me a "presence/clarity" mod UA5 to compare with the "warm" mod I've been running for some time.  Definitely a different sound - not as much mid-bass, brighter highs, overall a "tighter" sound, IMO.  I'm still not sure which one I prefer - I hope to run it a few more times before returning it.

I'll be happy to trade/b&p some discs of the show.  16/44.1 SHN or 24/48 FLAC.

Will Bernard & Motherbug
April 17, 2003
North-by-Northwest - Philadelphia, PA

Source: ADK A51TL (m/s, on stage)> Oade mod UA5 (set 1: "warm", set 2: "presence/clarity")> Fujitsu Lifebook S6110 (winXP, SF5.0, 24bit/48k)

Sound Forge 5.0: m/s>stereo, 24/48>16/44.1
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline save

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
Re:UA5 mod comparison ("warm" vs. "presence/clarity")
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2003, 12:00:39 AM »
hey craig keep us informed on what you find out...i'm still trying to decide if i should pick on of these up or keep my mp-2 and get a AD-20....and if i get a ua-5 should get the clarity or warm mod  ???

btw i finally got someone to track out that moe. show for me so i'll be sending those disc out to you this week....sorry for the delay!

-Justin
save

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2003, 12:44:36 AM »
MP2 + AD-20 = 2 mics preamps.  ;)

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2003, 01:54:54 PM »
lol...i meant adc-20.

-justin
save

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2003, 03:35:31 PM »
I think what you will prefer will depend highly upon your playback rig..  That's one thing I've learned as of late; people's recommendations of what sounds "better" to them are influenced heavily by the colorations (or lack thereof) imposed by their playback rigs.

Case in point, my playback rig is already tight, focused, very extended highs, and a pinpoint imager.  I prefer running DIN with my XY's against the grain of the Oade folks who specifically told me XY was the best to run with those mics; they claim smearing of the highs and loss of tautness in the bass when running anything but XY.  Not on my playback rig!

I'm a relative newbie in the taping world (<3 years experience) but I'm learning that there are more ways to tailor your sound to your playback rig than I ever imagined!  Mics, pres, a to d's...  LOL as if I didn't have enough tweeking on the playback rig to do :D

Can you explain differences in imaging and soundstaging between the two units?  I was told by the Oade folks the wmod UA5 gives up some in the highs, and had a bit more midrange coloration...  But the soundstaging and imaging were much better than the pmod..  Thoughts?

Offline Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2003, 04:24:53 PM »
A few more:

a one disc sampler of Big Wu 4/23/03
ADK A51TL (split omnis)> UA5
tracks 1-3: "warm" mod
tracks 4-7: "presence" mod

Base3 (space jazz trio from Philly) 4/21/03
Neumann tlm170 (m/s, stage lip)> UA5
set 1: "wam"
set 2: "presence"
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2003, 04:28:40 PM »
Any thoughts about comments about soundstaging differences between the two units?  Can you explain "tighter" sound?  Or are you leaving it up to us to decide  ;)

Offline Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2003, 05:37:37 PM »
Any thoughts about comments about soundstaging differences between the two units?  

So far I have not noticed any soundstaging/imaging differences.  The first two recordings were both done on stage, so imaging is excellent on both.  I just did that Big Wu show last night with the split omnis fob and haven't really listened to it much.

Can you explain "tighter" sound?  Or are you leaving it up to us to decide  ;)

You'd certainly be better off hearing for yourself and making your own decision.  Sound is a very difficult thing to describe in words, especially when your talking about subtile details.

The warm mod  is warm.  It has a noticeable mid-bass to mid-range bloom which some may find very pleasing.  The low end is full and punchy - kick drums have that 'thump' you can hear and feel.

The presence mod is fast and detailed.  Not as much low end, but certainly enough, and it is very well controlled.  More dynamic (the difference between loud and soft seems greater) - not as mellow sounding as the warm mod, drums have a snap to them, cymball crashes are more up front, kick drums come through with plenty of impact, just not as thumping.  Sounds seem to have sharper edges between them - more detail than the warm mod.

Where the warm mod shines is its silky smooth top to bottom sound, nothing really jumps out, and I don't get annoyed by harsh high end or overcoloration of the sound.  I like the detail of the presence mod, but the high end definitely jumps out at me a bit.  I haven't spent a long time listening to any of the presence mod recordings, so I'm not sure I wouldn't get digititus/audio fatigue keeping me from sitting through a whole set or show.

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2003, 05:48:29 PM »
+T man for the great description! :)

The pmod sounds like it's definitely not my cup of tea...  my playback rig is already massively resolving of detail, and ruthless with topend-tilted recordings.  I look for that "smooth top to bottom" that you describe hearing from the wmod...  (I like what I hear, too, BTW)

Seriously good description, Craig.  I can well see why some would very much prefer the pmod.  I'm a huge analog fan, so that's not the sound I really enjoy...

+ more T for offering up a B&P :)

DaryanLenz

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2003, 08:32:26 PM »
So, just for curiosity's sake, what exactly, mechanically speaking, are the differences?  What new parts are added to disable the internal pre etc?

Thanks

Daryan

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2003, 10:12:42 PM »
I don't believe Oade Bros. disables the internal pre; I was told they simply replaced some of the parts in the stock pre with hand-selected parts.  I can't remember exactly which ones, tho :)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2003, 10:42:41 PM »
this is straight from Oade's site:

the warm mod:
The second mod adds an analog input rebuild to the first mod. This replaces the input capacitors, which are SMD electrolytic ( higher distortion and noise) with SMD film caps ( lower distortion and noise) as well as the input Op Amps. We use very high grade, very low noise Op Amps for this, chosen by ear for a natural and pleasing sound. This mod gives the UA5 a warmer sound, with better depth and high frequency character

the presence mod:
A second "flavor" is available as a "presence" MOD, chosen by ear for a maximum clarity and detail. This mod gives the UA5 a more "up front" sound, with better presence and high frequency detail. Both MODs disable the 1/4" inputs on the front panel, leaving the front panel XLR's and rear panel RCA inputs intact.

Offline teamakg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2003, 11:54:56 PM »
how much does each oade mod cost?

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2003, 11:58:03 PM »
warm mod is $500 and presence mod is $550

-justin
save

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2003, 10:19:52 PM »
wow, those are expensive mod's
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.269 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com