Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 7)  (Read 103223 times)

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 7)
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2016, 07:27:36 AM »
I think myself and moke had one of the few decks with 1.00 firmware...I guess there's no going back to that!

For sure - I never saw the write timeout error.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2016, 08:40:51 AM »
Thanks for the info fellas! So where do I send an email about changing the INPUT OFF problem with the gain knobs going counter-clockwise ???
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2016, 08:57:27 AM »
Good to know you can revert to earlier firmware. 

For the FAQ, if users should avoid particular versions of the firmware, I would mention the reason.  Eg, although it is possible to revert to earlier versions of the firmware, versions .....are not recommended due to user reports of write timeout errors after using the erase function in those versions.  Instead it is recommended that users stick with versions 1.01, 1.02 or version 1.12 or higher.  Just modify to reference the correct versions.

The 70d I have at the moment has the very first version on it.  Not sure if I should go up a version or not.  I've lost track of which versions did anything besides increase the gain anyway which I don't care about.

Maybe there should be a brief description of what is desirable in a particular firmware in the FAQ? 

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2016, 09:53:52 AM »
Marantz PMD620 (0 dB, -12 dB, -24 dB) and PMD661 (0 dB, -6 dB, -12 dB, -18 dB) are two.  There are probably others.  I doubt it matters a whole lot if you have a less sensitive input (= low) and add gain to get medium/high or if you have a more sensitive input (= high) and attenuate for medium/low.  For loud music, especially with sensitive mics, that low setting is essential...

Wow, I didn't know the Marantz recorders went that low.  Are those pad level settings?

They are set via menu, if that helps.  As with most of these things, it is not entirely clear what goes on under the hood, although Doug told me once that the Marantz recorders do actually attenuate...

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2016, 10:20:24 PM »
I don't know if this has been suggested already, but I thought of a potential workaround for those that need lower levels than the newer firmware can give you: use the DUAL REC function, with the second stereo track 12, 18, or whatever dB lower you choose.  I do this all the time when I don't get a real level check and only have the one pair of mics going.  I activate DUAL REC and set it to -12dB, and there's my safety tracks. 

I'll be doing this tomorrow when I'm recording our 270 voice high school choir which can really crank, and they sometimes use a full orchestra or just a percussion section for parts of the concert.  Since I never have a chance to go to their dress rehearsals to set levels ahead of time, and their dynamic range is huge, I'm going to go LOW gain about halfway up with the DUAL REC at -12dB.  The safety track is pretty much mandatory for this concert.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2016, 06:25:33 AM »
I was thinking about the odd position of the internal mics on this deck.

Its like a close spaced A-B.

So - you could mount the recorder close to a wall - and use the Boundry/PZM principle.

The mics are recessed nicely when the front of the deck is pressed against a flat surface - not sure what the tolerances are for that gap.

Obviously - not a practical setup...and would likely be very mono. Plus you have to operate the deck.

But - you never know...there might be some scenario where it's ideal..!

mfrench

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2016, 09:11:54 AM »
Build a foam PZM-like baffle for it. Have a boundary layer surface built parallel to the mic surface; and also a dividing baffle that extends forward between the mics to baffle them from each other.  I know that Gutbucket built a dividing baffle for the R09 deck, and that it at least gave l/r isolation between the mics.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2016, 10:12:17 PM »
I don't know if this has been suggested already, but I thought of a potential workaround for those that need lower levels than the newer firmware can give you: use the DUAL REC function, with the second stereo track 12, 18, or whatever dB lower you choose.  I do this all the time when I don't get a real level check and only have the one pair of mics going.  I activate DUAL REC and set it to -12dB, and there's my safety tracks. 

I'll be doing this tomorrow when I'm recording our 270 voice high school choir which can really crank, and they sometimes use a full orchestra or just a percussion section for parts of the concert.  Since I never have a chance to go to their dress rehearsals to set levels ahead of time, and their dynamic range is huge, I'm going to go LOW gain about halfway up with the DUAL REC at -12dB.  The safety track is pretty much mandatory for this concert.

The first 4 samples of this post are the large choir.  It turned out that I didn't need the -12dB safety tracks as I was able to get a thorough sound check beforehand, but it was reassuring having them.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=176324.msg2189688#msg2189688
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline KOG

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2016, 10:57:23 PM »
DR-70d Line (+4) Inputs?  Do the line inputs bypass the pre-amps?  Does the 701 offer any advantage for using line inputs?
Peluso Cemc-6 | DPA 2011c | DPA 4017B | DPA 4018C | Sanken CS-1e | Sanken CS-3e  | SD 552 | Oade Super mod PMD661 mkII | Tascam DR-70D
DigiGal AES/SPDIF cable | GAKables

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2016, 02:42:37 PM »
On another thread, I have asked for a comparison between the DR60D and the DR70D, in problems and audio quality.

Couldn't find any that has tried both, but one person person commented on some (not specified)  problems some users have had with the DR70.

It's a lot of threads to read, now on the 7th group. Can anyone tell on what have been the most usually reported problems and if they were cured?

The DR60 had a hum issue when using it with Canon cameras, which I don't know if the DR70 has.

From what I have read above, HIGH+ gain shouldn't be used because of noise. But what mics would use at such gain? Dymamic mics?

My application would be DSLR & video double system recording.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2016, 02:50:21 PM »
Issues with SD cards isn't an issue anymore as long as you use latest firmware (fixed some writting performance issue) and a card off the approved media list.

Alot of people where using slower cards or old cards, but regardless after enough complaints Tascam did fix something and come out with a list of cards they support (pretty standard in the photo industry)

The pre-amps are better then the 60d - no idea about the Canon issue - you may need to ask out on a DSLR Videography site as well.

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline voltronic

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2016, 06:18:38 PM »
DR-70d Line (+4) Inputs?

Yes.  See the Specifications, under "set to LINE".

Do the line inputs bypass the pre-amps? 

I don't think so, as mic/line is a software control in this unit allowing one to use either 1/4" or XLR connection for line input on the combo jacks.  It's not a hardware bypass.  But the preamps would likely have much less influence on the sound when set to line because of the lower level.  They'd have to be really bad to mess up a line source (and they're actually excellent, so fear not).

Does the 701 offer any advantage for using line inputs?

Doubtful.  The 701-D has higher-grade opamps but any difference is probably only heard if you're using them at MIC level.  There's an upgraded ADC as well that allows you up to 24/192 resolution, but the 70D conversion sounds just fine, and anyone who really needs 192kHz resolution (or thinks they do) is probably looking at something entirely more pro-grade than either of these recorders.  Unless you need the camera triggering and timecode input, the 701D is probably not worth the price difference over the 70D for what we're doing here.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2016, 05:38:27 PM »
A friend of mine is in NY and he bought a DR70 for me at B&H.

Problem is the recommended Sandisk 64Gb was out of stock, so the salesman recommended this Lexar:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1090739-REG/lexar_lsd64gcrbna1000_pro_1000x_uhs_2.html

Will it work fine on the Tascam?

Offline voltronic

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2016, 07:36:36 PM »
A friend of mine is in NY and he bought a DR70 for me at B&H.

Problem is the recommended Sandisk 64Gb was out of stock, so the salesman recommended this Lexar:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1090739-REG/lexar_lsd64gcrbna1000_pro_1000x_uhs_2.html

Will it work fine on the Tascam?

If buying a card new for the 70D, it is strongly recommended that you use a card on Tascam's list.  The card problems may have been fixed with the newer firmware, but it's silly to buy something that you aren't 100% sure is going to work.  Many of us here use other cards with the 70D, but that's typically because we owned them already and were fortunate that they worked without issue.  You may be rolling the dice on this one, unless someone else has used this exact card and can confirm it's good with this recorder.  I'd stay away and buy one of the SanDisk or Panasonic cards on the list.

Whatever you do, make sure you're purchasing from a major dealer (B&H, BestBuy, etc.).  Many, many fakes are out there, especially eBay but sometimes from sellers on Amazon as well.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2016, 09:06:12 PM »
There's mostly Sankisk on that list. I found this other list, which seems to have more options. Who knows when was the last time Tascam renewed that list

http://www.mymemory.com/compatible-memory/Multitrack_Recorders/Tascam/Tascam+DR+70D_Memory_Cards

And I did buy the Lexars from B&H, they recommended it themselves.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com