Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microphone cable recomendations?  (Read 8595 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Microphone cable recomendations?
« on: May 07, 2007, 04:42:26 PM »
So, I've always made my own cables...
I've used Mogami, Belden & Canare wire mostly.  A while back, I bought a pair of ToddR's silver/ teflon DogStar cables. I'm finding now, that I would rather have some more flexible cables. What are my options as far as high quality, but with some flexibility and small? FWIW, I'm not sure I heard a sonic difference between the copper vs silver wires. I bought the silvers because they pack better and use less space than the Canare or Mogami's.

I'm certainly up for making the cables myself. I guess I just need some recomendations on the various wire choices, as I know I like the Neutrik connectors.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
Re: Microphone cable recomendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 05:20:30 PM »
The 1804a is extremely flexible and seems quite tough when covered with 1/8" techflex.  Very low memory.

Are your teflon silver cables joined together with techflex?  It really goes a long way to tame their desire to go their own way..  I have a pair of 25' like that and really like them but I'm not sure I would as separates. Also, some of the quad cable is more flexible than the larger conductor single pair.

The stiffness of the silver teflon is a pain for short cables between devices, etc.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 05:28:49 PM »
The 1804a is extremely flexible and seems quite tough when covered with 1/8" techflex.  Very low memory.

Are your teflon silver cables joined together with techflex?  It really goes a long way to tame their desire to go their own way..  I have a pair of 25' like that and really like them but I'm not sure I would as separates. Also, some of the quad cable is more flexible than the larger conductor single pair.

The stiffness of the silver teflon is a pain for short cables between devices, etc.

I would like to get some of this cable to check out any good sources? That you know of?

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 05:42:15 PM »
I've used Mogami, Belden & Canare wire mostly.  A while back, I bought a pair of ToddR's silver/ teflon DogStar cables. I'm finding now, that I would rather have some more flexible cables. What are my options as far as high quality, but with some flexibility and small? FWIW, I'm not sure I heard a sonic difference between the copper vs silver wires. I bought the silvers because they pack better and use less space than the Canare or Mogami's.

I'm certainly up for making the cables myself. I guess I just need some recomendations on the various wire choices, as I know I like the Neutrik connectors.

What awg are your Dogstars?  2-conductor or 4-conductor?  That may be part of the issue.  IME, if you go with 24 awg 2-conductor or 4-conductor it is pretty flexible.  Any bigger than that, and it gets pretty stiff.  If you went with 26 awg silver clad it would be more so.  Just an idea/thought.

Here's some more info regarding my experience with the Belden 1804a.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,83803.msg1115372.html#msg1115372

If your ears prefer copper, I'd recommend the Canare mini star quad (L-4E5C) or the Mogami stuff that NashPhil used in his mic cable comparisions.  My $0.02.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 05:46:03 PM by thegreatgumbino »
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 05:57:59 PM »

What awg are your Dogstars?  2-conductor or 4-conductor?  That may be part of the issue.  IME, if you go with 24 awg 2-conductor or 4-conductor it is pretty flexible.  Any bigger than that, and it gets pretty stiff.  If you went with 26 awg silver clad it would be more so.  Just an idea/thought.

Here's some more info regarding my experience with the Belden 1804a.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,83803.msg1115372.html#msg1115372

If your ears prefer copper, I'd recommend the Canare mini star quad (L-4E5C) or the Mogami stuff that NashPhil used in his mic cable comparisions.  My $0.02.

I was using the Canare L-4E5C for years, but it was too bulky in my bag. I may look into the Belden 1804a. I already have the TechFlex...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline roggae

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • "Gay for Trey"
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 09:09:42 PM »
Canare mini star quad

I used this cable for a snake I built.  So far, so good...
mlsc1->iRiver

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 02:30:32 PM »
not bad.  about &.70 per foot. 
I might have to get me some of that.  I like it, but its so damn'd expensive and hard to find less than 1000' at a time.

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 02:50:55 PM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,83803.0.html

:P

/ducks...

On the more helpful side, I've got a set of Nick's Hydra Silvers, and am very pleased with 'em from a flexibility standpoint!  So you won't go wrong using what he's using...

Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 04:59:23 PM »
well....my stock changes.  I've used as thick as 20awg, but I like 24-26 awg better.  sounds like you got some thin stuff.

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 06:07:29 PM »
well....my stock changes.  I've used as thick as 20awg, but I like 24-26 awg better.  sounds like you got some thin stuff.

???  I don't get it...
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 06:14:16 PM »
the thinner the wire, the more flexible and less stiff it is.  It sounds like you probably got some when I had thinner wire in stock.  maybe not.
:)

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 06:49:28 PM »
the thinner the wire, the more flexible and less stiff it is.  It sounds like you probably got some when I had thinner wire in stock.  maybe not.
:)

Oh, ok.  That makes sense.  Would you hazard a guess on how thin my wire stock is?

Either way, I'm still very satisfied with the Hydra Silvers!

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 07:55:59 AM »
no clue.  I dont recall who has what from my various batches of stock.

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 11:58:21 AM »
I have been looking around for a 100' roll of Belden 1804a. Best price I can find is
$88.98 for 100' reel from Westlake Electronics. They do not have it in stock, but per email, I was told that it was special order and should only take 7-10 days from order date to get.

http://www.westlake-electronic.com/store/search/1/detail/1/item_no/BEL-12063/

A few questions for those who have worked with this cable.

Anybody know of a better source? price?
Will 28awg wire be large enough for longer runs, say 30' to 50'?
Any issues with this wire fitting standard neutrik xlr plugs? or 3.5mm plugs?

Thanks
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 12:34:06 PM »
the wire is small, 28awg will fit anything.
as for long runs..., I have no experience there really.  That is also the best price i've seen as well.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com