Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How much quality difference does the recorder make?  (Read 8451 times)

Offline CaptainSumo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
How much quality difference does the recorder make?
« on: October 20, 2017, 09:31:35 AM »
Please forgive my ignorance. I'm trying to find my way around here, and I have much to learn.

I'm wondering what recorder/mic/pre-amp to get. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Church CA-14 with 9200 pre-amp, but I'm wondering what recorder to pair them to. A number of popular options around here, such at the Sony PCM-M10  and Edirol R05 are no longer available for a fair price, so I'm wondering what I can get for a reasonable price that would do the Mics justice. As far as I understand it, the mics and pre-amp should be doing most or the work.

For example, would I notice much quality difference between a Tascam DR-100MKIII and a Tascam DR-40? That's nearly a € 200 price difference. I can easily find what extra features I would be getting, but the quality at 48000Hz 24 bit is what I'm really interested in.

Thanks!

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: How much quality difference does the recorder make?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 10:19:44 AM »
If you're using Church mics and preamp you don't need a recorder with XLR inputs. The short answer on difference in preamp quality is "near zero" with that rig. I'd avoid Trashcan products because they generally work poorly. For the same price as the DR-40 you can probably get a bunch of other options with a mini plug input that will better suit your needs. The DR-40 and DR-100MKIII will be unnecessarily large due to their XLR inputs.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 10:24:42 AM »
What acidjack said. The difference in recorders at this stage of the game is mostly in features, not audio quality, and you don't need a ton of features with that mic/battery box combo. (Which is an excellent small rig, btw.)

You can still sometimes find M10s around for close to their original retail price — keep an eye on the Yard Sale here.

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 10:34:09 AM »
What acidjack said. The difference in recorders at this stage of the game is mostly in features, not audio quality, and you don't need a ton of features with that mic/battery box combo. (Which is an excellent small rig, btw.)

You can still sometimes find M10s around for close to their original retail price — keep an eye on the Yard Sale here.

^^^ This. A good clean M10 will provide years of quality recording. At rugged as you will find in this class, small, easy to use, insane battery life.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline CaptainSumo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 10:40:43 AM »
Great to see such a consensus! Makes my decision a whole lot easier.

Will keep my eyes open for an M10. It seems to get a lot of love around here.

Does anyone have any experience of the Olympus LS-14? That's also an option.

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 10:42:28 AM »
Not sure if this one is sold or not: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=183950.0

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 10:49:00 AM »
All my recorders are "trashcan". I've only had one issue, an XLR cable getting stuck in the 70D. Just FYI, the DR-40 does not even have a mini-jack input.

If you cannot find an M10 or R-05 at a reasonable price, the Tascam DR-22WL might fit the bill. $118 right now at B&H. I've only used mine a couple of times, but it worked fine paired with CA-14 and 9200.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 10:52:31 AM »
Yeah, just to echo everyone else - you don't necessarily need to go cheap here, but this is a place to save some $. I used a bottom of the line tascam dr-07 for many years, that sound just as good as anything I've done with a D50 or R26.

Hit up the yard sale & you'll find something good & inexpensive.

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 10:59:25 AM »
The Tascam DR-100MKIII is my super stealth deck and while larger than the Sony, it has some features that could be useful if going directly in from mics to recorder. For one, it has ability to change input levels on each channel. Another, the input levels can be held on the Tascam but not on the Sony when engaging the hold button. I also prefer stealthing with XLR ins instead of minijack in as there's a lower chance of issues with the XLR ins.

When I stealthed with the m10, I used to have to tape down the mini cable into the unit, every switch on the back of the unit as well as a piece of tape over the level adjustment knob. With the Tascam, I don't have to tape down anything.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 11:07:42 AM by gewwang »

Offline CaptainSumo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 11:03:38 AM »

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 11:58:05 AM »
If that M10 from the YS doesn't pan out, I'd recommend the Roland R-05.  I love mine.  It looks like they can still be bought online if you look around a bit.  (Full Compass appears to have them in stock.)
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline furburger

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 12:39:32 PM »
a used Tascam DR-2D

they were $150 new, and with the "dual" mode, you can err on the side of "too hot" and still walk away with an excellent capture.
-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 12:43:59 PM »
Does anyone have any experience of the Olympus LS-14? That's also an option.

Not many here use the Olympus recorders, but there are a few. Haven't heard much about them in a few years.  Do a search.  Records fine and compact if I recall correclty.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline CaptainSumo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 01:01:00 PM »
If that M10 from the YS doesn't pan out, I'd recommend the Roland R-05.  I love mine.  It looks like they can still be bought online if you look around a bit.  (Full Compass appears to have them in stock.)

Full Compass does indeed seem to have them, but they won't ship outside the US :-(

Offline CaptainSumo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 01:02:24 PM »
All my recorders are "trashcan". I've only had one issue, an XLR cable getting stuck in the 70D. Just FYI, the DR-40 does not even have a mini-jack input.

If you cannot find an M10 or R-05 at a reasonable price, the Tascam DR-22WL might fit the bill. $118 right now at B&H. I've only used mine a couple of times, but it worked fine paired with CA-14 and 9200.

A timely warning on the DR-40! Thanks!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.21 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com