Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Home Theater Forums?  (Read 22738 times)

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Home Theater Forums?
« on: December 02, 2006, 01:20:11 PM »
Looking for any messageboards on Home Theater/HDTV components etc.  I know about AVS forum but that place is a f'n wasteland.  it's got way too much activity, bickering, flaming etc.  some people are knowledgeable, most aren't.  the threads are way too long and unstructured (who needs a specific TV's owners thread with 4000 replies??).  it's just kinda silly.  any other suggestions out there?  thanks.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: Home Theater Forums?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 01:36:15 PM »
I have used hdtvoice.com with some success...

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 05:48:46 PM »
While I agree there is a bunch of total crap on avs, there is a ton of info.  There are also some that know a lot, you just need to find them.

What are you looking for?

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 12:34:47 PM »
well, the main question i'm interested in right now is whether to stick with my sony ns90v upconverting dvd player or go with another upconverting dvd player, or just go with a high-end non-upconverting player (and thus allowing the pioneer to do the scaling).  I'm not going to go with the Oppo upconverting player if i do go with a different upconverting player, because of the possibility of macroblocking with the Faroudja chipset (in the 971 model).  I may go with a non upconverting Arcam dvd player or some other high-end player.  I've read (on avsforum) of people having very nice results with such a set up, but haven't seen any specific input on an arcam/pio combo.  i may have to do a better search...

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 12:38:18 PM »
well, the main question i'm interested in right now is whether to stick with my sony ns90v upconverting dvd player or go with another upconverting dvd player, or just go with a high-end non-upconverting player (and thus allowing the pioneer to do the scaling).  I'm not going to go with the Oppo upconverting player if i do go with a different upconverting player, because of the possibility of macroblocking with the Faroudja chipset (in the 971 model).  I may go with a non upconverting Arcam dvd player or some other high-end player.  I've read (on avsforum) of people having very nice results with such a set up, but haven't seen any specific input on an arcam/pio combo.  i may have to do a better search...

:o

christ I need to read up on this crap when I make the hdtv plunge in a month.
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 12:41:31 PM »

dude, this stuff gets asinine.  I had originally purchased my hdtv back in september after a good amount of research.  but after only a couple of weeks, i realized i had made the wrong decision.  luckily my store had a 90 day trade-up policy...now i'm just waiting for the new tv to be delivered.  give me a call at some point and i'll help you through this mess...

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 12:47:21 PM »

dude, this stuff gets asinine.  I had originally purchased my hdtv back in september after a good amount of research.  but after only a couple of weeks, i realized i had made the wrong decision.  luckily my store had a 90 day trade-up policy...now i'm just waiting for the new tv to be delivered.  give me a call at some point and i'll help you through this mess...

thanks. At least i've narrowed it down to the tv selection. After a bit of reading and viewing, I think i'm gonna get the sony 50" LCD.
2016 National Champions

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 12:48:40 PM »
which model is that?  got a link?

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 12:59:59 PM »

not really sure. it seems that you can get flat LCD's or rear projection? I know i don't like the rear projection.
2016 National Champions

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 01:04:49 PM »

not really sure. it seems that you can get flat LCD's or rear projection? I know i don't like the rear projection.

yeah, i had the 50" SXRD, which is a rear projection model, similar to the rear-projection LCD's.  I personally would avoid these and with other technologies falling in price, i would go with the flat panel.  one piece of advice i would give is not to get caught in the hype of 1080p resolution...not only will it be a while before 1080p sources are readily available (if ever)...but it will absolutely reveal the flaws in SD programming and your SD DVD's. 

i don't know that sony has a 50" flat panel LCD.  they have a 46" and a 52".  the 52 lists at $6500, i believe.  the 46 lists at $3800 and you could probably get it in the $3300 range.  what's your budget??  (the key question around here i know).  PM me or give me a call this week.

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 01:08:50 PM »

yeah, i had the 50" SXRD, which is a rear projection model, similar to the rear-projection LCD's.  I personally would avoid these and with other technologies falling in price, i would go with the flat panel.  one piece of advice i would give is not to get caught in the hype of 1080p resolution...not only will it be a while before 1080p sources are readily available (if ever)...but it will absolutely reveal the flaws in SD programming and your SD DVD's. 

i don't know that sony has a 50" flat panel LCD.  they have a 46" and a 52".  the 52 lists at $6500, i believe.  the 46 lists at $3800 and you could probably get it in the $3300 range.  what's your budget??  (the key question around here i know).  PM me or give me a call this week.

i'll give you a ring this week.
2016 National Champions

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 01:12:05 PM »

if you can find an arcam dv27 or 27a for cheap, it's a sweet player, even though it's component out only.  i have *no* complaints from this thing at all. 

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 01:13:42 PM »

if you can find an arcam dv27 or 27a for cheap, it's a sweet player, even though it's component out only.  i have *no* complaints from this thing at all. 

i've seen good comments on the 27...what's the difference in the 27 v. 27a.  i'm not too worried about component only, that wouldn't be a hang-up for me.

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 04:41:12 PM »
What do you want/need from the player??

Kris Deering does a great job of putting the players through hell.  He scores them on passed tests not PQ.  The score is a pretty good indication of PQ though.  A low scoring player won't have great PQ.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/masterindex_video_players.html

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 04:56:05 PM »
What do you want/need from the player??

Kris Deering does a great job of putting the players through hell.  He scores them on passed tests not PQ.  The score is a pretty good indication of PQ though.  A low scoring player won't have great PQ.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/masterindex_video_players.html

thanks, i'll check that out.  i'm trying to figure out the best option for getting the best picture from SD DVD's.  the scaler and de-interlacer in the pio elite is supposed to be outstanding, so maybe the best way is to feed it a standard 480i image from a high-end non-upconverting player and allow the panel to do the scaling and deinterlacing.  but then, maybe there are better upconverting players out there and it would be better to feed the panel a 1080i upconverted feed of SD DVD's.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com