Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Serious Problems w/ the Tascam DR-680 (and their customer service)  (Read 41673 times)

Offline discopanic1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Serious Problems w/ the Tascam DR-680 (and their customer service)
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2016, 02:55:46 PM »
Yeah I'm just gonna get Me a new digi cable today and test when home see if just a bad cable. We shall see.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2016, 12:13:03 PM »
We experienced heat issues with our DR 680 mkI at Greyfox.

Kindms tells me there is a thread, maybe this one, which indicates others have had heat issues.

There's some talk about the heat issues in the 680mkII thread. > http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=171565.0

Gutbucket has a few posts about it on pages 7 & 8, but there might be something about it elsewhere in the thread, I haven't read through it all. 

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2016, 12:42:15 PM »
We experienced heat issues with our DR 680 mkI at Greyfox.

Kindms tells me there is a thread, maybe this one, which indicates others have had heat issues.

There's some talk about the heat issues in the 680mkII thread. > http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=171565.0

Gutbucket has a few posts about it on pages 7 & 8, but there might be something about it elsewhere in the thread, I haven't read through it all.
Thanks FCB. I'm headed to that thread now to check what was said re: overheating
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline discopanic1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2016, 07:38:23 PM »
Luckily mine was just a bum digi cable. Got a new one and the 680 works as should.

Offline danny3

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2016, 08:31:28 PM »
rocksuitcase: without getting carried away with words here (there is plenty of conversation in the 680 threads) the 680 will definitely act up when it gets too hot. Multiple phantom power use when hot can also be problematic.
The issues you posted on the prior page sound similar to what many have shared that they experienced... it's happened to me.

What I recommend is try to get as much shade and airspace over your bag and deck as you can.

I've only needed to worry about it once so far this summer, but I went out prepared with a second rig and splitters. (I figured it all out at home first.)  I could then alternate decks, and ran the 680 for the later acts.

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2016, 12:02:47 PM »
rocksuitcase: without getting carried away with words here (there is plenty of conversation in the 680 threads) the 680 will definitely act up when it gets too hot. Multiple phantom power use when hot can also be problematic.
The issues you posted on the prior page sound similar to what many have shared that they experienced... it's happened to me.

What I recommend is try to get as much shade and airspace over your bag and deck as you can.

I've only needed to worry about it once so far this summer, but I went out prepared with a second rig and splitters. (I figured it all out at home first.)  I could then alternate decks, and ran the 680 for the later acts.
Good idea, and basically what we wound up doing. once the sun went down and/or the rain started we were OK.
I was wondering if, especially in camping situations one could use a little dry ice at the bottom of the bag. The roadies for BT and HORDE used to use dry ice to cool off the front line onstage at those sweltering venues. I have a picture of it somewhere, but they would put the dry ice in a container (i.e. plastic garbage can) then place a humidifier above it and feed the dry ice out of the humidifier fans straight onto the amps. A side benefit was it made for some cool "smoke" effects from behind the bands without any annoying vanilla smells!
So I was thinking bring the dry ice in like a medium ammo box, open the box up below the gear bag and it might keep things cool.?  ???
Danny3- THANKS for your input, at least we can rest assured the issue was more than likely the heat and not something with the mics and/or onboard pre-amps.
music IS love

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2016, 11:40:11 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's the known overheating problem. Shut down until it cools and it should work fine again unless it overheats again.

I carry a couple chem instant-cold packs (first aid, crush them and they'll get cold for a while, bought a number of them at the dollar store) which I plan to use if it happens again or if the situation gets really hot, but just ventilating the bag better, packing it looser, not putting my V3 immediately next to it and keeping the bag shaded with a small 'Gackbrella' has kept it from happening since I've become aware of the problem.  Both the MkI and MkII seem equally susceptible.

I'm currently out of town and have been mostly off-line, but logged in and saw this thread and just wanted to help.  Should be back on-line next week.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2016, 09:05:28 AM »
Thanks for the input GB. We had the 6/12V Eco-Charge battery inside the bag with the 680 and it was packed a bit tight. In the past, with other rigs, I might have been inclined to keep the battery outside the bag or even on the ground so it can "vent" the heat into the ground. With the heat and humidity at GreyFox this year (THU/FRI we had a 94, feels like 102 show up on our weather channel!) I should have been more aware that it could happen.

I hope being off-line is by design and a good/relaxing thing!      :coolguy:
music IS love

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com