Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 4.7k Mod  (Read 2867 times)

ThePiedPiper

• Trade Count: (0)
4.7k Mod
« on: July 24, 2018, 09:32:33 PM »
I have a question about the 4.7k mod. Is it ONLY necessary when using a 3.5mm plug or would it be beneficial to have via a TA3 mini-XLR as well?  Do such a thing even exist for the TA3?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 09:42:04 PM by ThePiedPiper »

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: 4.7k Mod
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 07:50:00 AM »

If you are using mics as 3 wire they will probably handle higher SPL as is. The mod was developed to allow 2 wire mics - such as stereo mics wired to a mini plug - to have lower sensitivity.

Ask Chris Church about it....
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 09:46:24 AM »
I'll save Chris the e-mail as he had a little injury over the weekend.  :(

4.7k mod is needed for AT mics especially when they're being run 2-wire.  If you're running them as 3-wire mini-XLR (the way their manufactured) there is ZERO to gain by doing the mod.  In fact, the mod on those could affect quality in the end.
Decks: Zoom F6, Zoom F3 w/ BTA-1 | Power: Neewer NP-F970 7800mAh | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 11:56:33 AM »
I'll save Chris the e-mail as he had a little injury over the weekend.  :(

I'm FB friends with him so I saw that he messed himself up but he's already posting about amps again so that's good news.

Chris and the saga of the 4.7k mod is sort of a running joke around here - I was being facetious.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 12:02:15 PM »
Chris and the saga of the 4.7k mod is sort of a running joke around here - I was being facetious.

TS and CA and FACETIOUS in the same sentence?  *NEVER*

Just thought I'd clarify for the OP since I've had that conversation with Chris in the past.
Decks: Zoom F6, Zoom F3 w/ BTA-1 | Power: Neewer NP-F970 7800mAh | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 01:03:23 PM »
Goodcooker covered it, but to clarify-

4.7K mod is an option for adapting 3-wire low-voltage, non-balanced, non-phantom powered microphones to 2-wire mode for high SPL use. Most of such mics will be miniature ones (AT, Countryman, etc).  The mod is not required for 2-wire mode, but is recommended for recording loud source material to help avoid overload.  It is not recommended if always recording quiet material as it will reduce sensitivity and raise the self-noise floor somewhat.  The mod is often installed so as to fit within in the microphone connector housing.  Alternatively it can be installed in a separate adapter cable, which allows for use of the mics either with or without the mod.  Likewise it is sometimes installed in the battery box or preamp - and sometimes made switchable, sometimes not.

Termination connector used for the microphones is a separate issue.  A pair of 2-wire 4.7k mod'ed mics wired as a stereo pair to a single connector requires 3 channels through the connector (Left signal & power, Right signal & power, shared ground) and may be terminated to any connector with 3-or more contacts. Most common for tapers is termination to a TRS stereo mini plug or a 3-pin TA3 mini-XLR.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

ThePiedPiper

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 08:19:55 PM »
Thank you Gutbucket, Goodcooker & adrianf74 !!  Great info.
So I think I will leave these in the original 3 wire method and enjoy the benefits!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.174 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com