Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 722 battery  (Read 15540 times)

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: 722 battery
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 11:38:46 PM »
alright guys - i got screwed by the sony brand batteries because they don't lock into place all the way. i was aware of this before but never considered it an issue. somehow my bag got kicked enough that it dislodged the battery from the 722. i assumed the battery died since it wouldn't power up after the show but after pulling the 722 out for a bit i noticed it had no battery connected and the sony was still in the bottom of my bag.

i was running a mountainsmith cairn instead of my normal lowepro magnum which would have help up against any kick. oh well - chalk one up for stupid taper mistake

file did not save at all, but at least there was another taper

i just ordered a couple of the initials off amazon - thanks for the link Matt
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 11:45:29 PM by terrapinj »
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 12:36:37 AM »
I put a piece of folded paper (post-it note) wedged into the battery compartment when using my Sony to ensure it doesn't fall out. Honestly, I pretty much quit using my Sony battery for this reason. I only use it for emergency purposes now (and those are few and FAR between).

Sorry to hear of your troubles.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 05:46:07 AM »
The SONY I have fits fine and locks into place.  What is happening that yours do not lock into place?  I am lost.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 10:41:08 AM »
The SONY I have fits fine and locks into place.  What is happening that yours do not lock into place?  I am lost.

if you really try to slide the battery out of place you can do so without depressing the locking button - it appears that the button pops up after you slide the battery in, but it doesn't prevent the battery from being able to be removed - all 4 of my genuine sonys have been this way, the contact holes are not deep enough

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 01:21:01 PM »
OK, thanks, now I understand.  ;)
Nov schmoz kapop.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 10:02:28 PM »
For what it's worth, I have an old Sony PC100 video camera and about 4 or 5 of the M series batteries...a couple of which are Sony Infolithiums.  I definitely like using the Impact 7600mah L-series the best since it has the best run-time, but I've had no problem at all with these M-series batteries working with the 702.  The post holes on the battery are nice and deep and seem to engage really nice with the 702 posts so that there's a snug fit, but not too snug.  Since the M-series batteries are shorter than the L-series, you want that snug fit because the pin isn't there to keep the battery from sliding off the posts if there's not a snug fit.  Anyway, I've had good luck with the M-series batteries...the main disadvantage is that since they're smaller they also have a smaller capacity. 

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 10:13:36 PM »
For what it's worth, I have an old Sony PC100 video camera and about 4 or 5 of the M series batteries...a couple of which are Sony Infolithiums.  I definitely like using the Impact 7600mah L-series the best since it has the best run-time, but I've had no problem at all with these M-series batteries working with the 702.  The post holes on the battery are nice and deep and seem to engage really nice with the 702 posts so that there's a snug fit, but not too snug.  Since the M-series batteries are shorter than the L-series, you want that snug fit because the pin isn't there to keep the battery from sliding off the posts if there's not a snug fit.  Anyway, I've had good luck with the M-series batteries...the main disadvantage is that since they're smaller they also have a smaller capacity. 

i beg to differ, that is what the second spring-loaded pin is for.  Or am I totally off base, never used a M series
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 10:43:13 PM »

i beg to differ, that is what the second spring-loaded pin is for.  Or am I totally off base, never used a M series

Sorry about that...you're right Fozzy.  I didn't realize there's two spring loaded pins in there.  My mistake...the M-pin on my 702 is stuck in the down position so I never realized there was another one there!  

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2008, 01:01:04 PM »

if you really try to slide the battery out of place you can do so without depressing the locking button - it appears that the button pops up after you slide the battery in, but it doesn't prevent the battery from being able to be removed - all 4 of my genuine sonys have been this way, the contact holes are not deep enough

I only have one Sony battery but I never had the problem you are speaking of. As long as the button is working, it should be impossible for any battery to "slide" out. What you are describing is the battery is "lifting" or "falling" out, which means it would have to be tugged on. Right?

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2008, 01:11:04 PM »
try to slide your sony battery off the 722 without depressing the release button

the pin holes aren't quite deep enough to fit all  the way on - it can't just slide off on its own but if you apply a little pressue it should slide off

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2008, 01:40:47 PM »

I specifically recall a 7xx promo video where John mentions that the 7xx power supply is designed to have enough reserve capacity to save the file in the event of a power loss.  So that seems like a bug.

In any case, the audio prior to the failure was on there and you very probably could have recovered with a tool like photorec.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2008, 02:05:49 PM »

I specifically recall a 7xx promo video where John mentions that the 7xx power supply is designed to have enough reserve capacity to save the file in the event of a power loss.  So that seems like a bug.

In any case, the audio prior to the failure was on there and you very probably could have recovered with a tool like photorec.

i haven't done anything to the drive since except plug it into the computer - it just shows a 0kb wav file - you think theres still a chance of finding it?

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2008, 02:12:30 PM »
You will almost definitely be able to recover that file.  Just don't hit record or write to the disk.

There are two ways wav size is reported. In the header and the size on disk.  If the header shows 0 bytes and the disk size is as expected, then you should be able to use pigiron's header repair tool after copying the wav off.  If the size on disk is incorrect then you will need to recover the file using a tool like photorec.  Scan the device with photorec (be sure and disable non-audio file types to prevent false matches).  PM me if you get stuck or have questions.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2008, 02:25:46 PM »
You will almost definitely be able to recover that file.  Just don't hit record or write to the disk.

There are two ways wav size is reported. In the header and the size on disk.  If the header shows 0 bytes and the disk size is as expected, then you should be able to use pigiron's header repair tool after copying the wav off.  If the size on disk is incorrect then you will need to recover the file using a tool like photorec.  Scan the device with photorec (be sure and disable non-audio file types to prevent false matches).  PM me if you get stuck or have questions.

awesome - i'll give it a try when i get home later

+T

Offline RobertNC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2008, 11:06:02 PM »
I'm using a Sony NPF970, and honestly, I feel pretty confident I could not get the battery out without depressing the button or shearing off the pins.  I bought in Mar 2007, maye the design of either the battery or the 722 has changed?
SD:  Microtech Gefell M210 > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
LD:                   ADK A51 TL > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
Guns:               DPA 4017    > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com