Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sennheiser MKE2 Waterproof GoPro mic - hacks and modifications  (Read 49584 times)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sennheiser MKE2 Waterproof GoPro mic - hacks and modifications
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2019, 04:42:00 PM »
By the way, Sennheiser has lots of experience with protection of the diaphragm.
The MKE2 lav mic has a protective "dual diaphragm" in front.If you buy the raw KE4 capsule, it does not.
If you've got a mic (exposed 4.5mm dia capsule), look right into the hole.Shine a light in there and look at the reflection.  if you see gold you've got a raw capsule, if you see silver you've probably got a second diaphragm in there.
Sennheiser insiders may know more about this.
IMO the KE4 sound a little better and more clear than the MKE2.I've got both in my mic cache.
  Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2019, 12:05:44 AM »
I used the mics tonight but it turned out sounding bad. Almost like clipping but it was set to peak at ~-9db. Maybe the CA9100 supplied too much power?
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2019, 11:16:11 AM »
I used the mics tonight but it turned out sounding bad. Almost like clipping but it was set to peak at ~-9db. Maybe the CA9100 supplied too much power?

I was afraid of that. My tests show that they can run line in from a battery box. Did you try the "0" setting on the 9100? That would just make it a battery box without gain.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2019, 01:29:22 PM »
I'm planning to wire my first pair of these to mono mini XLRs.  Is there any reason I couldn't use the AT8531 power modules with these mics?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2019, 11:59:06 PM »
My first run with them was this morning. I cannot say enough good about what I've briefly heard of them. I let Sarge clamp the cans on, and she commented on how clear it sounded.
I record quite frequently in this room; noisy HVAC is my worst comment about it. Its a nice sounding room, just noisy.
I ran Gude Head as both Senn. protocol binaural, and, with the new MKE2 pair on Gudes head, as HRTF stereo. I also ran the cm3 pair as XY_90º as a "control copy", in case the building got nuked, and Gude exploded, the old folks started into slam dancing, or whatever.
All acoustic, except the vocalist.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 12:01:24 AM by Moke »

Offline heathen

« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2019, 12:35:39 AM »
If someone can help me with how I should wire these I'd appreciate it.  For now, I want to wire each mic to its own mini XLR.  Here's the info from the other thread:

I would put the red on pin 2 and put the blue and shield on 1 or 3 then put a jumper between 1 and 3. Remember the blue and shield are shorted at the capsule so there's no advantage to running an xlr except for a sturdier connector.

Does that sound accurate?  If so, how do I put a jumper between 1 and 3?  I've never done that before.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2019, 01:51:28 AM »
My first run with them was this morning. I cannot say enough good about what I've briefly heard of them. I let Sarge clamp the cans on, and she commented on how clear it sounded.
I record quite frequently in this room; noisy HVAC is my worst comment about it. Its a nice sounding room, just noisy.
I ran Gude Head as both Senn. protocol binaural, and, with the new MKE2 pair on Gudes head, as HRTF stereo. I also ran the cm3 pair as XY_90º as a "control copy", in case the building got nuked, and Gude exploded, the old folks started into slam dancing, or whatever.
All acoustic, except the vocalist.

What were you using to power the mics?
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

mfrench

« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2019, 09:07:45 AM »
@ycoop
I used my DPA MMA6000 preamp, which I converted years ago to handle a 1/8" stereo input and, the microdots as well.

mfrench

« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2019, 09:12:34 AM »
The mics are definitely sensitive.  This might be an issue to loud music. Perhaps that 4.7 mod might be necessary? (sorry, I don't even know what that mod is/does).  But, the mics are definitely more sensitive than my 4060 pair.
Yesterday,... I've recorded that ensemble for nearly twenty years now.  I've recorded in that room extensively.
With my DPA4060 pair, I needed to add on the lines of 18dB gain.  Yesterday, the preamp was mostly acting as a battery box, with little added gain (perhaps 2dB+ added?).

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2019, 10:49:02 AM »
If someone can help me with how I should wire these I'd appreciate it.  For now, I want to wire each mic to its own mini XLR.  Here's the info from the other thread:

I would put the red on pin 2 and put the blue and shield on 1 or 3 then put a jumper between 1 and 3. Remember the blue and shield are shorted at the capsule so there's no advantage to running an xlr except for a sturdier connector.

Does that sound accurate?  If so, how do I put a jumper between 1 and 3?  I've never done that before.

I would use two wire shielded cable (lets say the wires in your cable are red, blue and shield)

Connector end
1 blue
2 red
3 shield

Connection to mic
red to red
blue and shield tied together to blue and shield

Or you could just wire them straight through
red to red to pin 2
blue to blue to pin 1
shield to shield to pin 3

then take a very small piece of wire, a half inch or so, barely strip it on both ends and tin it, then after you have connected your cable to connector you add the short piece between the connector cups of 1 and 3 on the connector. Be careful not to unsolder the existing connections while you get the jumper in there and have the solder flowing. If you have a little extra wire from the jumper you can prob make it fit inside the connector housing easily enough. This is easier in a larger connector like an XLR but it's doable in a TA3. When doing smaller connectors I gently clamp them in the jaws of a vice grip to hold them steady. Don't get too crazy with the solder it could overflow the cup and short the connections.

This is assuming your device you are connecting to is pin 2 +, pin 1 -, pin 3 ground.

Why are you using mini XLR? Do you have an existing preamp that has those inputs?
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

mfrench

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2019, 11:03:33 AM »
I added a live sample of acoustic music to this folder:
https://archive.org/details/test2.horizontal
Find: MøKE2_Live-Sample

What is it?
You're totally going to recognize the melody. If you don't, well,...
This is a short portion sample of Thomas Jeffersons presidential campaign song from the late 1700's.  The lyrics were originally written for this campaign song, and later "converted" to another song.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 11:05:17 AM by Moke »

Offline heathen

« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2019, 11:23:12 AM »
Why are you using mini XLR? Do you have an existing preamp that has those inputs?

For the more secure connection, and to try using these with the AT8531 power modules.

Thanks for the info!

Offline heathen

« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2019, 03:44:24 PM »
Well, my first attempt was a failure.  I'm not sure where I went wrong but it didn't work. 

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2019, 06:44:37 PM »
Well, my first attempt was a failure.  I'm not sure where I went wrong but it didn't work.

Those AT power modules are three wire, red, yellow and bare (sink). I was under the impression you can't use them with two wire mics. I hope I'm wrong, because I have a pair of them and it would be great to finally use them for something.

I've included a schematic I found.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline heathen

« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2019, 07:21:55 PM »
Yeah I think you're right. I made a quick stereo mini plug Y cable and it worked with a CA9200!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.123 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com