Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DIY Bar in a Pinch?  (Read 3347 times)

Offline Bullet1979

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
DIY Bar in a Pinch?
« on: June 03, 2014, 08:27:51 AM »
I have never had the privilege of having permission to actually set up mics to record in the past - always had the band's permission but had to stealth/mount mics on myself due to the bands not wanting to go through the hassle of "officially" allowing taping or involving the venue.

I'm going to a show on Thursday night and I will have permission to have a small set up so I would like to clamp to a railing of a balcony and point my downward toward the speakers, as is suggested in the venue thread here.  I would like to record using my CA-14 cards and my DPA 4061's.  I'm looking for advice on coming up with some sort of makeshift setup that will "get the job done" without breaking the bank and also involving things I can get either locally (home depot, radioshack) or overnighted with Amazon Prime.

I just ordered a Manfroto Super Clamp and I own a Dynex Monopod that I'm hoping will be sufficient for the extension, which has the standard camera mount at the end.  What could I feasibly get to use as a bar to get close to a NOLA configuration with the cards?  And would I be better off mounting the DPA 4061's in my Kangol so that my head can act as a baffle?  I don't have a JDisc or anything like that - my understanding is that I wouldn't get a very good stereo image if I just mounted them to the bar?

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Sa da tay!
Re: DIY Bar in a Pinch?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 08:53:32 AM »
I still use this when I run my CA-14s: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=134161.msg1765131#msg1765131

Looks like lots of people clip to 6" rulers.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline Bullet1979

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 09:27:01 AM »
I still use this when I run my CA-14s: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=134161.msg1765131#msg1765131

Looks like lots of people clip to 6" rulers.

Thanks for your reply.  I'm a total novice here - so let me see if I understand what's going on there.  You use a threaded rod connector (available at hardware store I assume) to connect the monopod to the cross-stitch loop.  I see you mention a thumb screw - do you put the thumb screw into the threaded rod connector and the cross-stitch loop clamps to that?  Sorry for being such a dumbass I just learned today that a cross-stitch loop exists  :P.

And then is it just the tension from the rubber bands/hair ties that holds the ruler in place?  That looks like a pretty neat solution I should be able to run around and get what I need for.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 09:36:14 AM »
A pair of old "rabbit ear" telescopic television antennas works really well for mounting the 4061s.  They allow fully adjustable spacing, pack down small, and are super light-weight.  I have a couple pair that will extend to spreads of up to 6' total, which is probably good if you are running the cardioids as well in the center.  If using the omnis alone without a baffle between them, try spacing them about about 3' apart.  I've also simply gaffer taped 4060s to the front lip of the balcony or a light-bar mounted to the balcony lip with about the same spacing.  I found a couple pair at RadioShack which are flat-black instead of shiny-chrome finsihed.

More on the telescopic antenna mounting in the Oddball Microphone Techniques thread- http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,96009.msg1279052.html#msg1279052  Looks like the thumbnails have not been regenerated since the last site upgrade here, but the photo links still work.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline hoppedup

• Sa da tay!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 09:40:50 AM »
You use a threaded rod connector (available at hardware store I assume) to connect the monopod to the cross-stitch loop.  I see you mention a thumb screw - do you put the thumb screw into the threaded rod connector and the cross-stitch loop clamps to that? 

And then is it just the tension from the rubber bands/hair ties that holds the ruler in place?  That looks like a pretty neat solution I should be able to run around and get what I need for.

You got it. I drilled a small hole in the thumb screw to attach the cross stitch hoop.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on LMA

Offline Bullet1979

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 09:57:14 AM »
A pair of old "rabbit ear" telescopic television antennas works really well for mounting the 4061s.  They allow fully adjustable spacing, pack down small, and are super light-weight.  I have a couple pair that will extend to spreads of up to 6' total, which is probably good if you are running the cardioids as well in the center.  If using the omnis alone without a baffle between them, try spacing them about about 3' apart.  I've also simply gaffer taped 4060s to the front lip of the balcony or a light-bar mounted to the balcony lip with about the same spacing.  I found a couple pair at RadioShack which are flat-black instead of shiny-chrome finsihed.

More on the telescopic antenna mounting in the Oddball Microphone Techniques thread- http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,96009.msg1279052.html#msg1279052  Looks like the thumbnails have not been regenerated since the last site upgrade here, but the photo links still work.

Dang dude, you are a wealth of information.  That antenna idea looks like a great idea.  Unfortunately I don't think I have any old rabbit ears laying around and I'm not sure they're available in-stores anymore since the conversion to digital.  Maybe I can buy something like this and cannibalize it to get similar results?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 10:15:44 AM »
Yep, that will work.  The same antennas work for over the air digital and the old analog system, so places still sell them.  I had to canabalize similar ones to get the black finished ones.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Bullet1979

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 11:24:53 AM »
You use a threaded rod connector (available at hardware store I assume) to connect the monopod to the cross-stitch loop.  I see you mention a thumb screw - do you put the thumb screw into the threaded rod connector and the cross-stitch loop clamps to that? 

You got it. I drilled a small hole in the thumb screw to attach the cross stitch hoop.

My initial searches for a threaded rod connector at hardware stores' inventories (Home Depot, Lowes) aren't coming up with anything.  Any recommendations where I may find one?

Edit: May have found something...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 11:28:54 AM by Bullet1979 »

Offline hoppedup

• Sa da tay!
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 12:50:30 PM »
That's it. Just use whatever is going to work for you. I used 3/8-16 because that was what was on top of my stand. If you aren't concerned with bumps or need for shock protection you could mount the ruler directly to your stand/mount or whatever.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on LMA

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 04:06:11 PM »
Grind a notch in the all thread connector and it will lock right into the super clamp.  Then you can bolt your ruler/yardstick/flat piece of metal to the connector. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com