Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone ever consider writing a book on taping?  (Read 5101 times)

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
Anyone ever consider writing a book on taping?
« on: July 15, 2014, 07:55:08 PM »
SSIA.
I know that every time I read posts from DSatz, Gutbucket, or JonStoppable, and many, many more of you, I feel like I just had an epiphany walking out of a grad school class. I'm in no way forgetting the many other tapers on here that are all a wealth of knowledge, but I know I would throw down at least $100 for a book that has all the information in it that I learn piece by piece everyday reading this forum. So I thank you for your scholarly advice my fellow TS'rs and hope someone here has the time to write a "How to Manual" on our subject matter. Hell, with a little searching this site and copy/pasting it could already be over half written.
Thank you again all!
Coby
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Anyone ever consider writing a book on taping?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 08:18:20 PM »
Here we go again! >:D

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 08:58:44 PM »
Mixed reviews on Amazon about this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0240808916/

If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 10:45:51 PM »

Has there already been multiple requests for a nonfiction hardback?  I missed out on the pre-order. :facepalm:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 10:53:09 PM by cobiwan »
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

runonce

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 11:25:37 PM »

Has there already been multiple requests for a nonfiction hardback?  I missed out on the pre-order. :facepalm:

Nah - years ago there was some effort to produce a "manual" - I think I remember people volunteering to write various parts...seemed like it fell apart relatively quickly - although some of the older sticky and FAQ stuff might have emerged from this effort.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 05:17:43 PM »
It seems like what has been published is aimed at open recording done by professionals specifically hired and given direct, best access to record musicians. Taping or recording under the limitations most tapers face is a different beast.  Other than TS, what other information is available on taping? 

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 07:28:14 PM »
I mean, other than professional recording, which generally requires a college degree + hands-on training, is "taping" really in need of a book to explain it?
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 08:35:02 PM »
Well, if have no care about the technical pursuit of excellence and achieving the best sounding, most professional results you can, there's certainly no need at all.  "Taping" has been around for decades so it's is obviously not in any dire need of an organized and thorough text.  Neither is guitar playing, golf, gardening and a million other endeavors all of which span a wide spectrum of practitioners from top professionals to half-interested amateurs.  Anyone who cares to improve their performance in anything does so by way of education and experience - two sides of the same coin.  Why not feel free to take either as far as you care to go with them?  No one is forcing anything on anyone here.

"Why not" is the more appropriate question.  The practical answer is probably the rather small target audience and the effort required to make it happen.  We are a small nitch community.

It seems like what has been published is aimed at open recording done by professionals specifically hired and given direct, best access to record musicians. Taping or recording under the limitations most tapers face is a different beast.  Other than TS, what other information is available on taping? 
^^
Truth.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 08:43:27 PM »
I get what you're saying, but on the other hand, there's a high level of ingenuity and problem solving displayed in the posts here.  A professional can wheel in a cart full of cables, preamps, and recorders to record from the optimal spots.  Getting a good recording from the audience with what you can carry in your pockets is a different challenge.      I spent a lot of time on GS before realizing that there's a very high level of specialized knowledge relative to taping and  I needed to be here. 

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 04:55:48 PM »
No book needed. Just come here and read. Then make a post when you have a question.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline bobstammers

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 11:27:50 AM »
No book needed. Just come here and read. Then make a post when you have a question.

^^ This.

I have been coming here daily for nigh on 6 years (first joined in 2006). Always reading and taking it in, have asked very few questions in that time as most of it has been asked before.

Please keep up the good work, wouldn't buy a book as it is already here, so no need.

Thanks to all posters who contribute, I've learnt loads (and spent a bit too ;))
Mics        : Naiant AKG CK63 Actives, DPA 4061, SP-CMC-25, CA11c, CA11 IIo,CA14c, CA14o, CAFS, AT933 (4.7k)
Pre         : Tinybox, PIPSqueak, CA9100, Ugly II pre, CA Ugly II 3 wire pre
Batt Box : MM-CBM-Mini
Decks     : H340 rockboxed, R09HR, M10 x 2

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 11:50:52 AM »
I think the technical side would be useful to have in a simple brochure or condensed into a chapter or 2. The really neat stuff would be the history, anecdotes, and the 'Tales from the Golden Road' type material.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline u2_fly_2

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 06:21:58 PM »
It would be interesting to have a book that both covers the various "set-up stuff" vs. "venues"...etc and perhaps a little bit of good old tapers/taping-stories to go with it. Do we really need it these days with the eletronic/internet sources, probably not, but I would def. buy a book like this.
Soundprofessionals Audio Technica AT 943 (SP-CMC-8) External Stereo Microphones > SP-SPSB-10-80020
Sound Professionals Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery and 24 inch hardwired output cable Soundprofessionals Batterybox >> Olympus Ls-10 Linear Recorder > 4 GB > 24 Bit / 48 Khz  > 24 Bit / 96 Khz

Zoom Q3 HD - 1080p / 96-24 Bit

Roland R-26 (96 / 24 Bit)

Sony PCM-D100 (192 / 24 Bit)

stevetoney

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 11:39:11 AM »
For what it's worth, years ago I participated in a community Stevie Ray Vaughan group.  We traded music and shared stories.  As a group, we developed an extensive SRV FAQ that became well known.  One guy in particular had started a fan club before this internet blog group formed, so in fairness, he pre-existed our talk group.  However, for awhile, this guy was also part of the early group.

He broke off and started doing stuff on his own.  Started hoarding.  He ended up writing a book which he claimed authorship over, though not all of the book was written by him.  Pretty big controversy and most of the purists on our talk group were resentful.  He ended up starting several SRV-related endeavors that mutually benefitted himself and the SRV legacy.  For example, now there's an SRV museum where he displays his personal collection of SRV memorabilia...it's not called the XX museum of SRV memorabilia...it's just called the SRV museum.  I really don't know if the family estate has sanctioned him or not, but that's not really the point. 

For the most part, nowadays I just say good for him.  He's taken intiative and stuck to it, and he's making a buck for himself while doing a reasonable job promoting the legacy of SRV.  On another level, I still see this guy as the same opportunistic douchebag I thought he was 20 years ago when I would trade tapes with him and he'd take advantage of me and always hoard the good stuff.

I'm not sure if there's a moral to this story, but I think it's that, if anyone were to take the initiative to write a book that compiles information in this forum, there's probably a really good chance that others are going to end up being resentful if the author makes any money off or gains anything intangible out of it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com