Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Greetings... my new mic preamp.  (Read 92814 times)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: Greetings... my new mic preamp.
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2008, 02:09:40 AM »
I sell my 2 channels of pre, plus PSU, plus Power Transformer for $275... but it's in DIY KIT form.  I sell a ready-made 2-ch unit for $650. But it's housed in a 1u rack case with 110/220V PSU.

I can get a Sound Devices for less??

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline PH

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • can you fix it in the mix?
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2008, 03:00:09 AM »
Show us some pics of your ready made 2ch units you sell for $650. I might be interested.
I love the feedback and I hope to see something cool created from it.
+T

Cheers, Phil

Offline fivefishdiy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • FiveFish Studios
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2008, 03:32:10 AM »
Show us some pics of your ready made 2ch units

This is the 4-ch unit... the 2-ch unit will be the same, except you'd have (2) spare channels you can fill up later on.

1u rack, anodized aluminum front panel, 0.125" thick, CNC engraved and milled (not silkscreen, not paint that will chip or get worn out). The front plate screws are now hex head stainless steel (this photo is an early prototype that uses aluminum screws).

The guts...(early prototype case, only 8" deep... the new ones are 11" deep for more room.)

So there you go... 4 channels in a 1u rack case. Can be wired for 110V or 220V.

I hope to see something cool created from it.

How about some audio clips?

http://www.fivefishstudios.com/audio/SC-1PreampDemo.mp3
Note: The above clip is "unmastered." But every instrument you hear on this song was recorded using only the SC-1 pre. Drums, bass, guitars, DI input... various mics used for each instrument... Shure, AKG, Sennheiser, Ovation, Audio-Technica, Cascade Ribbon, etc. If you want a detailed setup of what mic combo was used with what instrument, PM me. Written and performed by Jason Mallow. Recording courtesy of Farview Recording, Chicago, IL.

http://www.fivefishstudios.com/audio/SC1-LB-Vocals.mp3
And the pre used with vocals ... on a Neumann U67 mic.  Also used on some instruments. Rough mix... you can hear various tracks being muted/unmuted in the mix. I was told the CD will be out later this year. Artist: Mylene Farmer. Recording courtesy of Laurent Boutonnat, France.
SC-1 Mic Preamp Kits... www.fivefishstudios.com
Photo Rig: Canon EOS30D, 70-200 f4L, 24-105 f4L, 50mmf1.8, 10-22mm Wide angle, Sigma 200mm Macro, Harddisk CF card reader/backup
Video: Sony HDV HDR-HC5

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2008, 04:06:08 AM »
Also, Id RATHER have the transformers in our 2-chan version. ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2008, 10:44:31 AM »
thanks for thinking about us.
QFT.  Those clips sound great. Nice and detailed.  I look forward to hearing what it will do out in the field. +T  Also the little things like engraved markings instead of painted or silkscreened...that's the kind of attention to detail I like.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2008, 10:57:48 AM »
If you want detail, go poke around his website. .pdf manuals for the diy kits, a forum with some nice pics (frequency response, o-scope traces, etc). I'm impressed and looking forward to the results once this evolves past the proptotype stage.

Offline PH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2008, 04:07:16 PM »
The DIY, pre-made, and taper prototype pres are all transformeless right?
Do you have plans to add any of those cinemags into any of your existing or future designs?
I would also be interested to hear your thoughts on the transformer debate. I also live in Nashville and want one of your 4ch units.
I'll have to come by and check one out, till then...........wondering if you have any more pics of the units? Really large ones with lotsa detail.

Offline fivefishdiy

• Taperssection Regular
    • FiveFish Studios
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2008, 05:07:04 PM »
The DIY, pre-made, and taper prototype pres are all transformeless right?

Yes.

Do you have plans to add any of those cinemags into any of your existing or future designs?

I have plans this year for an A*P*I type-circuit preamp. So the trafos will be an inherent part of the main board there.

For the SC-1 kit, I have an ADD-ON kit that I call the IO-Module. As I said earlier, it adds an input transformer, output transformer, Active DI with true balanced outputs, -20dB pad, Polarity reverse and a Mic/Instrument select switch.

It's on a separate PCB because not everybody wants the trafo option. (Also expensive).

I would also be interested to hear your thoughts on the transformer debate. I also live in Nashville and want one of your 4ch units.

Debate? What debate?  ;D
It's all subjective. Some like it, some not. Sometimes it's preferable for certain instruments/genre, sometimes you just want a clean and clear, accurate capture without any flavoring.

There are cheap trafos, and expensive trafos. But either way you look at it, trafos are *very* expensive compared to a single IC chip .

wondering if you have any more pics of the units? Really large ones with lotsa detail.

Here you go, the IO module...

Big guts... bigger version, showing the guts.

Bigger photo.

Photo Rig: Canon EOS30D, 70-200 f4L, 24-105 f4L, 50mmf1.8, 10-22mm Wide angle, Sigma 200mm Macro, Harddisk CF card reader/backup

Offline PH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2008, 09:24:59 PM »
I see the Mini IO mentioned and priced on your page, but can't seem to find the info on the IO with transformers. They are all Cinemag right?
What would be the price of a two ch version with IO and DI in a case, and do you have the cases that fit all of these modules? Seems like you could use the 4ch case and set it up for two IO/Di and Pre to sit side by side.

I'll probably just have to come by and see it person, but I am intrigued after talking with a studio buddy here in town.... he is currently using one and loves it.
Nice work! Thanks for the info
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 11:17:01 PM by nashphil »

Offline fivefishdiy

• Taperssection Regular
    • FiveFish Studios
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2008, 12:48:08 AM »
They are all Cinemag right?

Yes.

two ch version with IO and DI in a case, and do you have the cases that fit all of these modules?

I'm working out on a solution right now for this problem. The IO-module and Mini-IO just came out a few weeks ago.

Seems like you could use the 4ch case and set it up for two IO/Di and Pre to sit side by side.

Yes, that's the plan. I already had some prototype faceplates made, and I'll receive them next month. We'll see how it goes. Thing is, I'm 3-4 mos. behind schedule on products I should already have put out. My real job gets in the way ;D

Offline fivefishdiy

• Taperssection Regular
    • FiveFish Studios
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2008, 01:06:27 AM »
Okay tapers... the UPS man visited me today bringing along some gifts. 

I ordered several cases a few days ago and so today I start playing with them. I think I found a winner. Big enough for 2 channels, but not too big. Very lightweight, good RF shielding. I'm really happy with this one.

I mocked up the front panel, put some aluminum bracket, and this is what we get.... what do you think?

I still have some real estate space on the front panel... could be used for 5-LED VU, or a Signal Present indicator, and a Peak/Clip indicator, and 48V phantom power indicator... I think we can also squeeze in a power lamp.

These are regular size push-button switches... the caps are RED, GRAY, WHITE (phantom, pad, and ? - any suggestions?) I may replace them with micro-miniature switches. Don't know for sure yet. Knob is for the Gain switch, 12-step detent, 6dB per step, 6dB to 72dB gain.

Photos:
Future (2) channel TS-2 Preamp, with full size XLR jacks at the rear. Size is 6" x 6" x 2".

Another angle...

Offline PH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2008, 01:35:49 AM »
Pretty sweet. I like the simple rugged design. The VU meter is a good idea, along with phantom switch. I don't see a need for phase or pad switches at all, not for two track field stuff. No need to ever flip the phase if you set up in the right location. Can't see a reason to ever use a pad either. A HF filter option would be nice, since that's probably the only area that tapers will adjust their recording live, everything else should be done in post. Simple, clean, reliable. function over form.

EDIT: also would love to see a fine tune adjustment, such as the trim controls you have on your SC stuff. The 6db steps are perfect, with the addition of a trim knob.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 01:39:18 AM by nashphil »

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2008, 02:22:02 AM »
I don't see a need for phase or pad switches at all, not for two track field stuff. No need to ever flip the phase if you set up in the right location. Can't see a reason to ever use a pad either. A HF filter option would be nice, since that's probably the only area that tapers will adjust their recording live, everything else should be done in post. Simple, clean, reliable. function over form.

I think a pad is a great idea, even more-so than a high-pass.  You can cut bass in post, but you cant fix a clipped signal. A pad is a nice thing to have when using a pre as a front end for a board feed as well. It already fits in that small form factor anyway. Add the 5 led metering and your golden. Great looking work!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 02:24:04 AM by bluegrass_brad »
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline fivefishdiy

• Taperssection Regular
    • FiveFish Studios
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2008, 02:48:01 AM »
What about the TRIM?  I took it out because it takes a big amount of real estate space on the panel.
Of course, the other option is not using a step gain switch and just using a pot for the gain control... but that's kinda dorky... you can't select the exact gain you want it.... it will save a lot of money though since a pot is cheaper than the 12-step selector switch. But I really like the 12-step switch.

Maybe a very small trim pot shaft? Is that attractive? or useless?

High pass... what's the cutoff freq? 80Hz, 160Hz? Lower?

I think the pad will stay... it will be useful for using the pre as a line preamp.

Polarity switch... I may bring this to the rear panel, beside the output XLR... so it's not taking up space on the front. Using a very tiny pushbutton switch.

Hmmm.. in that case, the Pad switch can also be brought to the rear panel... beside the input XLR. That makes more sense.

So that leaves the HP filter and the 48V switch on the front panel, plus the gain selector and the trim knob... and the VU meters.

Should the power switch be at the front panel? Or will it be okay in the rear panel?

Hey what about LIGHTS? So you can see what you're doing in the dark?  Hmmm.. But that would eat into battery life. Or do you guys just bring flashlights/cellphone/blackberry/ipod?

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2008, 02:49:10 AM »
VU Meter would be cool, but not totally necessary with most of the recording devices we have. 

48V Absolutely
Pad Great Idea
I, personally, could care less about a pass filter.   

I must say...I'm interested in hearing how this sounds.  Something so small could do wonders for downsizing mid-range rig.
Socks are overrated.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com