Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Bad surprise at a concert with a Camileo  (Read 3206 times)

Offline Serrart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Bad surprise at a concert with a Camileo
« on: July 05, 2011, 08:17:45 PM »
Hi all,
I've already posted the question in the 'ask the tapers' section, and they wisely redirected me here. The Toshiba camileo I've got a few days ago as a present unfortunately at a concert recorded a terrible audio. My fault really, since my previous camera (a Handycam) never gave me problems of this kind, so I didn't think I was too close to the stage.
I don't know what to do, I use the cam very often to record concerts and I'm afraid it would be a hard task to have a decent audio with it. Now I'm uncertain if it would be better to buy a field recorder to compensate that aspect, or to sell the camileo and buy another cam with an adjustable audio. Any idea if there is one that would fit for a $250 budget?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 08:24:14 PM by Serrart »

Offline pdastoor

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Bad surprise at a concert with a Camileo
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 11:21:22 PM »
if you cam supports input for an external microphone then do just that. Go for a decent stereo sony mic, or if you have the money get church audio or sp mics. Or get a audio recorder, zoom h2 if you want something cheap along with a sony mic (decent rig and good sound.

Offline sabre

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 12:12:45 AM »
As you've discovered the Camileo was not designed to handle loud music. I would return the camera as soon as possible and purchase something else that has a better microphone.  You're going to find it hard to find a HD video camera at $250 - There are a few models in this range. My recommendation would be to type the model numbers into YouTube and see what sort of audio one can expect.
Look at Page 1 of this link for some cameras in your price range:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Camcorders/ci/1871/Ns/p_PRICE_2|0/N/4294548093+4259332489+4259332436

Offline Serrart

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 08:11:32 AM »
Thank you both for the answers!

if you cam supports input for an external microphone then do just that. Go for a decent stereo sony mic, or if you have the money get church audio or sp mics. Or get a audio recorder, zoom h2 if you want something cheap along with a sony mic (decent rig and good sound.

Unfortunately it doesn't have input for a mic, a zoom recorder seems indeed the only solution if I'll keep it.

As you've discovered the Camileo was not designed to handle loud music. I would return the camera as soon as possible and purchase something else that has a better microphone.  You're going to find it hard to find a HD video camera at $250 - There are a few models in this range. My recommendation would be to type the model numbers into YouTube and see what sort of audio one can expect.
Look at Page 1 of this link for some cameras in your price range:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Camcorders/ci/1871/Ns/p_PRICE_2|0/N/4294548093+4259332489+4259332436

That site is a candy store ;D I'll check the models with you tube to see i I can find a model with a good audio to a decent price. Otherwise I'll go for the recorder.

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 09:10:27 AM »
I'd go with the field recorder.  Take the worry out of your "next" camcorder in terms of audio and just focus on video.  Besides you can only do so much with lossy AAC audio.  But it depends on how much editing you intend to (or not to) do.  And how much gear and other stuff you want to lug.  If you just want simple, then trade the camcorder for one better suited for your needs.  I've got a field recorder.  It allows for more editing potential.  And a backup, should the camcorder go south, which it seems to do a bit too often these days.  But that kind of happens when 100F is your average day during the summer.  And your camcorder is 2+ years old and has seen events that should have ended it's life long ago.

One note on the field recorder.  If you don't have audio input, you WILL need the audio on the camcorder to be at least decent enough to sync to manually.  I've got one that's just pure wind noise or camera motor noises, and next to impossible to sync to.  My FH1 is actually pretty decent audio wise and easy to sync to.  Even swap between audio wise in dire straits.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com