Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Storage containers for pencil mics - sources and sizes  (Read 10782 times)

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Eschew obfuscation
Re: Storage/field container for KM184's or CM3's?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2019, 11:11:41 AM »
You can get those tubes far cheaper here, and sized to fit the mics you are using.  The 0.79" models are the ones you want for 20mm mic bodies.
https://www.mcmaster.com/shipping-tubes

I bought part 2108T21 for the CM3s, and they fit perfectly.  The next size up would be right for Schoeps CMC and similar mics, and the largest size for shotguns.

I put the mics in these tubes, and then into a Cigar Caddy.  This keeps everything protected, keeps the mics from rattling against each other inside, and avoids the foam contamination DSatz described.

Note that you can fit 4 Line Audio mics in one of those 2-cigar caddys.

I'm probably overthinking this but....Part 2108T21 is .79 inches which works out to 20.66 mm, which as Volt stated is perfect for the CM3's which are 20 mm. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger for part number 2108T24 for the KM184's - .87 inch which  works out to 22.098 mm. The 184's are 22 mm, I'm just concerned that the additional .098 mm won't be big enough to accommodate the Neumann logo badge that is affixed to the body.  Oh well, the tubes are certainly cheap enough to give it a shot.

The length of a CM3 + 184 is a total of approx. 7 1/4". The cigar caddy is 8" long (I assume OD). So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the 2-cigar caddy will hold both the CM3's and the 184's. If I can fit both sets securely in the 2-cigar caddy, I'll be golden.

Will report back how it goes
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline IMPigpen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2019, 12:31:34 PM »

I'm probably overthinking this but....Part 2108T21 is .79 inches which works out to 20.66 mm, which as Volt stated is perfect for the CM3's which are 20 mm. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger for part number 2108T24 for the KM184's - .87 inch which  works out to 22.098 mm. The 184's are 22 mm, I'm just concerned that the additional .098 mm won't be big enough to accommodate the Neumann logo badge that is affixed to the body.  Oh well, the tubes are certainly cheap enough to give it a shot.

The length of a CM3 + 184 is a total of approx. 7 1/4". The cigar caddy is 8" long (I assume OD). So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the 2-cigar caddy will hold both the CM3's and the 184's. If I can fit both sets securely in the 2-cigar caddy, I'll be golden.

On voltronic's recommendation I picked up a couple of the 2108T24 also for my KM184s that will go into my pelican micocase.  They should be here today, I'll report on the fit with the Neumann logo badge too!
Mics: Neumann KM184s; ADK TLs; Naiant X-R omnis & cards; MM-BSM-7M omnis
Pres/Battery boxes: Sound Devices MixPre; Naiant IPA; Sound Professionals SP-SPSB-6
Recorders: Tascam DR-70mkii; Tascam DR-60Dmkii; Tascam DR-40; Roland R-07
Cassette Transfers:  Nakamichi CR-1A->Tascam DR-60Dmkii
DAT Transfers:  Tascam DA-20mkii->Marantz PMD-670

My LMA uploads:  https://archive.org/details/@brandon_smith

**Have any old Strangefolk or Eddie From Ohio shows not on the LMA?  Let me know!**

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2019, 12:56:08 PM »

On voltronic's recommendation I picked up a couple of the 2108T24 also for my KM184s that will go into my pelican micocase.  They should be here today, I'll report on the fit with the Neumann logo badge too!

Also, please note that the website won't calculate shipping. I placed my order today then asked them via the "Contact us" on the site. Got this response:

Hi Daniel,

The estimated shipping cost for your order is $7 and the order will deliver on Monday.

We calculate the shipping charges based upon the actual size, weight and number of packaged required to ship your order.

Until we finalize the ability to obtain shipping estimates on our website, please feel free to e-mail us for a shipping estimate. 

Brian

Ordered four of the tubes; order under $6. I guess having anything shipped for $7 these days isn't terrible. They sure were fast getting back to me.

Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's

Offline IMPigpen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2019, 05:35:22 PM »
FYI, the KM184s fit even with the Neumann badge in the 2108T24 tubes with no issues.
Mics: Neumann KM184s; ADK TLs; Naiant X-R omnis & cards; MM-BSM-7M omnis
Pres/Battery boxes: Sound Devices MixPre; Naiant IPA; Sound Professionals SP-SPSB-6
Recorders: Tascam DR-70mkii; Tascam DR-60Dmkii; Tascam DR-40; Roland R-07
Cassette Transfers:  Nakamichi CR-1A->Tascam DR-60Dmkii
DAT Transfers:  Tascam DA-20mkii->Marantz PMD-670

My LMA uploads:  https://archive.org/details/@brandon_smith

**Have any old Strangefolk or Eddie From Ohio shows not on the LMA?  Let me know!**

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2019, 07:24:45 PM »
Suggestion:

Since we now know these tubes can be bought in sizes for various 20 and 22 mm mics, may I suggest changing the thread title to something like:

Storage Tubes for Pencil Mics

That way, other people will be able to find these.  I know I was looking for these for years before coming across the ones from McMaster-Carr.  The only other ones I had ever found were the Schoeps branded ones available at Redding, but they are too long for the tiny Line Audio mics, and of course too narrow for Neumanns.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2019, 09:01:48 AM »
Suggestion:

Since we now know these tubes can be bought in sizes for various 20 and 22 mm mics, may I suggest changing the thread title to something like:

That way, other people will be able to find these.  I know I was looking for these for years before coming across the ones from McMaster-Carr.  The only other ones I had ever found were the Schoeps branded ones available at Redding, but they are too long for the tiny Line Audio mics, and of course too narrow for Neumanns.

That's a great idea. Unfortunately I don't appear to be smart enough to figure out how

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2019, 09:04:34 AM »
Suggestion:

That's a great idea. Unfortunately I don't appear to be smart enough to figure out how

Cancel that. Apparently I'm smarter than I thought :cheers:

Offline voltronic

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2019, 10:09:07 AM »
Suggestion:

Cancel that. Apparently I'm smarter than I thought :cheers:

:coolguy:
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Re: Storage containers for pencil mics - sources and sizes
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2019, 06:36:46 PM »
McMaster-Carr is so efficient it's almost uncanny. I ordered two tubes from them yesterday afternoon at around 4:30, and they arrived a few minutes ago.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 06:38:44 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline voltronic

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2019, 07:09:56 AM »
McMaster-Carr is so efficient it's almost uncanny. I ordered two tubes from them yesterday afternoon at around 4:30, and they arrived a few minutes ago.

The call is coming from inside the house!
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline wvmaine

• Taperssection Regular
    • Archive.org
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2019, 07:15:32 AM »
Thanks for the tip on these. They arrived yesterday and are perfect for the 184's.
Mics: Neumann SKM 184, AKG C1000
Pre Amps: Naiant Big Box & Little Box, Blue Tube DP
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4n, Zoom F4

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2019, 07:43:11 AM »
Anybody ever try these with 19 mm mics? Is the fit pretty tight with 20mm? I am interested in getting a couple for 4015Cs; the shortest ones are about a half inch too long and the 0.79" is the closest diameter. I figure I can glue a piece of felt or something into the bottom to close the half inch gap...

Offline voltronic

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2019, 01:48:12 PM »
Anybody ever try these with 19 mm mics? Is the fit pretty tight with 20mm? I am interested in getting a couple for 4015Cs; the shortest ones are about a half inch too long and the 0.79" is the closest diameter. I figure I can glue a piece of felt or something into the bottom to close the half inch gap...

The fit on the 0.79" is just slightly snug with my CM3s, which are 20mm.  Not snug enough that you would worry about scratching.

As for making up some extra space, I put 3/4" silica gel cylinders in the capsule end, which are good to have on hand anyway.  I had some that came in medication, but you can buy them in large quanities.  You just want to get the 3/4" diameter, which for these comes out to be a 2g size.
https://www.amazon.com/Desiccant-Canister-Approved-Pharmaceutical-Packaging/dp/B07LGFBQZX/
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2019, 12:17:36 PM »
^ Thanks! That was helpful. I was afraid that if the 20mm had a kind of loose fit, the 19mm might be even worse (although it is only about 1/25th of an inch difference). Especially with something slightly compressible in the ends, it should keep things from moving around too much.

With that in mind, I went ahead and placed an order only to receive this response:

Quote from: McMaster-Carr
Thank you for considering McMaster-Carr for your purchase.  However, we will not accept orders from your facility due to the cost of complying with US export regulations.

Sigh. I must admit I am pretty surprised, as I order stuff from the States all the time. As long as I am willing to absorb the added costs, it has never been a problem.  Oh, well. I will be over there in mid-July, so maybe I will try to get some delivered to my hotel...

Offline wvmaine

• Taperssection Regular
    • Archive.org
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2019, 02:49:38 PM »
aaronji, If you wanted, I could forward them to you. PM me if you would like to go that route. It only took a couple of days for mine to arrive.  Probably another week to get from W.V. to your location.
Mics: Neumann SKM 184, AKG C1000
Pre Amps: Naiant Big Box & Little Box, Blue Tube DP
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4n, Zoom F4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.301 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com