Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Soundforge Applause Compression Questions  (Read 2546 times)

Offline 3-Fan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Soundforge Applause Compression Questions
« on: February 17, 2010, 12:40:40 PM »
Hey folks, I taped a faily quiet show last week where the applause is much louder than the music.  In the past with this issue I have had pretty good success using Wave Hammer in Sony Soundforge to knock the applause down below the music level.  Then I normalize.  But for some reason with this show, when I compress the applause down, it doesn't sound natural anymore.  I guess it is compressing things too much.  I fooled with the settings and tried just about all the combinations (compression ratio, threshold, attack and release time) I can think of to make it sound more natural and continuous.  I have also played around with the Envelope tool, but I get the same results there, though I find Wave Hammer much easier to use.

I would like to be able to trim off all the high peaks of the applause and then try comprssing it but really can't find a tool to do that.  Something like a limiter where I would pick a level and have it trim everything above that.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Greg
AT853 > Church 9100 3 wire w/ mini XLR and switchable 4.7K mod > Edirol R-09HR

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
Re: Soundforge Applause Compression Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 05:15:47 PM »
You can try a hard limiter in SF...

Go to Effects > Dynamics > Graphic > presets> hard limit to -6db.  You can than adjust the threshold slider to move the hard limiter up or down..This should do what your looking for....

peace OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
Re: Soundforge Applause Compression Questions
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:58:26 PM »
Use the envelope tool in Audacity, and make it sound the way you want it to.  It will decrease the peaks, and the RMS level at the same rate, unlike the peak limiter and compression tools you are using.

Much easier and faster than SF, imho......Bring the whole applause event down below the peak music level, and gain some headroom, too.   :)

Have fun.............niiiiice Farmall!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 10:02:08 PM by capnhook »
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com