Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to record concerts with Lumix DMC-Zs30  (Read 3551 times)

Offline carbuff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
How to record concerts with Lumix DMC-Zs30
« on: April 07, 2014, 09:21:43 PM »
I just bought a Lumix DMC-ZS30 to record concerts. I am a bit confused, because I read people use special shutter speed and ISO sensitivity, but according to the manual, those functions can't be adjusted when video recording, only to take pictures. I want to avoid the overexposure caused by the spotlights in the concerts. Any help is much appreciated, thank you!

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: How to record concerts with Lumix DMC-Zs30
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 05:11:30 PM »
Shutter speed is typically what is adjusted to record concerts properly (though newer devices often have a more generic brightness setting).  If you can't adjust for the lights the results will be poor. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 01:34:23 AM »
I've been using the older model ZS19 for a little over a year and have been pretty happy with the results generally.  It's not great in low light, but besides that it has suited my personal needs as a beginner point and shoot to complement my audio.

Just to jump on your first question, the exposure settings can't be changed during recording, but can obviously be changed any time in between.  The camera has a nice 'preview' exposure rating if you press down the 'take picture button' half way (is that called something, because I feel very stupid right now not knowing what that is called edit: ah, shutter release. yahoo answers comes through again).

I have not researched much into the video world, but what I've found from basic information and trial and error is that ISO, f-stop and shutter speed are the main components to control when recording.  I set my ZS19 to manual control and change the f-stop and shutter speed to fit every show.  I keep the ISO at 400.

The F-number (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number) controls aperture size.  Basically the smaller the F-number the more light it lets in (like your pupil, see wiki diagram).  The F-number also has something do with depth perception of the picture as well.  The higher the F-number the more accentuated the 3-Dness of the video will be (I think).

The shutter speed is a fairly obvious one I feel.  The longer the shutter stays open, the more light it lets in.  I'm fairly certain it's measured it seconds and fractions of seconds, so the lower the fraction > the slower the shutter speed > the more light gets in.

My own personal clearly uneducated anecdote: I set the ISO to 400.  Don't personally go lower than 1/60 on the shutter speed.  F-number is usually somewhere in the middle. 5?  Maybe?  I don't know.  Adjust for every show, every room, every different light rig.  :)

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/cameras-photography/tips/how-to-know-what-f-stop-to-use.htm

For whatever it's worth for, here are videos I've shot with the the ZS19 and the above knowledge (or lack there of):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3K7-3LJds8BtTi1aIV68gA/videos
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 01:41:06 AM by achalsey »

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 06:24:21 AM »
It's worth reading into the effect of shutter speed on video (although of the two Lumix models I own (2x ZS3, one GF2) it isn't actually adjustable.)

The amount of time each frame is exposed to light (ie the relationship between framerate and shutter speed) can have marked and interesting effects on your video - there are some easily Googleable tutorials that have video examples.

If memory serves, although you can adjust certain settings on the Lumix models, there is always some automatic exposure adjustment going on when shooting video which you end up having to work around in some way - eg seeing if spot metering or centre-weighted works better on a particular night.
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline carbuff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 04:58:25 PM »
Thanks for all the answers and suggestions.  Now I know more on how to use the ZS30.

The only settings that can be changed on this camera when recording video are the Exposure, White balance and Auto focus mode (AF tracking, spot).

You can't change the ISO, shutter speed or aperture.  I made some tests placing my hand beneath a spotlight (to simulate the spotlights used in concerts), at normal settings the hand appears al washout, but if I turn down the exposure a notch or two it gets much better.

I will make a test recording tomorrow on a small venue and will play with all these settings to try to get the best results.

Would like to get a camera with more manual settings available, but in this compact format. So far no luck!

Offline fguidry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 05:35:15 PM »
Thanks for all the answers and suggestions.  Now I know more on how to use the ZS30.

The only settings that can be changed on this camera when recording video are the Exposure, White balance and Auto focus mode (AF tracking, spot).

You can't change the ISO, shutter speed or aperture.  I made some tests placing my hand beneath a spotlight (to simulate the spotlights used in concerts), at normal settings the hand appears al washout, but if I turn down the exposure a notch or two it gets much better.

I will make a test recording tomorrow on a small venue and will play with all these settings to try to get the best results.

Would like to get a camera with more manual settings available, but in this compact format. So far no luck!

Just bring money. The Lumix GM1 has luscious video, full adjustability, and a very compact form factor.

Fran

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com