Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Please help me add this Mini Me to my rig  (Read 3962 times)

Offline cincykid

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Please help me add this Mini Me to my rig
« on: August 20, 2014, 10:58:54 AM »
Hi,

Recently, I bought a Mini Me in the yard. I need to get a battery to use in the field. I have no skills; I cannot build my own sled. I'm also concerned I could fry the mini me if I go buy the wrong thing (polarity??) on amazon. Please help! There are three things I will need:

1. battery (Hopefully under $100/ 8 +hrs)
2. a cable to connect the battery to the mini me
3. ideally a s/pdif cable with both ends that are angled   

the rig could be: active akg CK61> mini me> 661

If you can link me with someone that has the same rig or can build me one of the three that would be great! In sept I hope to record with the new set up for Ratdog, Moe., Freeman.

PS:
I noticed DigiGal builds a cable that allows the mini me to have two digi outs...is there a benefit to use the Aes/ebu to carry the signal more than the s/pdif? Or is it just the awesomeness of two digital outs? 

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Please help me add this Mini Me to my rig
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 02:03:09 PM »
The MiniMe can run 6-14v, so a battery is pretty wide open. You could consider a Naztech battery which is about $90, it will have a cable and multiple tips so you don't have to worry about a battery cable then.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007URKIGC?pc_redir=1408375895&robot_redir=1

As far as a SPDIF cable, I would ask Ted to make you one, costs about $35.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

DigiGal could make you a AES> SPDIF for around the same price but there's no real advantage on that other than a second digi out. One thing to keep in mind is the MiniMe is quite irregular shaped so chopped right angle cables would be my recommendation as to limit any additional height.

PS- Ratdog cancelled all shows through Jan. Sorry...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 02:10:52 PM by cobiwan »
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 02:29:45 PM »
The voltage range the Mini-ME supports depends on the Version of Mini-Me - Version A and B (possibly) (are black) required 7.5V or above

C versions have a silver casing

If your miniME supports 6v then it will be marked as such above the power connector (6-14V)

Version A did not have the power marked - no idea about B

The C version is rated at 5.5W so if you run 12V you will pull about 500mA at 9V you will pull about 620mA
 - this means a 5400mA 9V DVD battery will last you at most 8.8 hours

The Naztech battery above is rated at 55.5 Wh so you can get probably 8-9 hours out of it assuming the battery efficiency is not factored in (as is typical of these Chinese battery makers nowadays)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 02:42:53 PM by H₂O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline cincykid

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 09:35:12 AM »
the mini me is black.

Thanks for the links!! I will contact ted cable.

So sorry to here that Bobby is not touring and I had two pit seats too.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 11:32:41 PM »
The spdif connection on the mini-me is notoriously flaky. I always used the aes out when I had one.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 11:16:44 PM »
the mini me is black.

Thanks for the links!! I will contact ted cable.

So sorry to here that Bobby is not touring and I had two pit seats too.

If you bought Geoff's then it's a Rev A

Only the first batch was rev A (first 25 - 50)

The second rev B

The rest where rev C
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 01:36:19 AM »
Great advice in this thread. I'll just add that I think the requirement power the Mini-Me 8+ hours is going to be tough. The mini-me is a bit of a power hog and I'm not sure how long it will last on a Naztech battery or similar. I can't remember the exact power draw specs, but recall it chewing through my standard 6v eco-charge pretty quickly. If you need to power it for that long continuously, I'd imagine you'll need to spend a bit more for a high capacity battery, otherwise two dvd batteries might work for non-continuous powering.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 12:17:16 PM »
^^  Ted could probably make the OP a dual-input battery cable so he could hot-swap DVD type or other batteries to the Mini-Me.  Not a "set and forget" option, but it would enable the OP to continuously power the MM without turning it off.

Offline cincykid

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 02:42:44 PM »
Thanks for all the great ideas! The last post about a cable to hot swap batteries is neat.

First, I will contact Ted about the dual-input battery cable and custom xlr cables to connect the MM to 661. And I will buy one Naztech battery to get started. 

Later on, I will try to get Digigal to make a cable so I can use the AES output, and buy a second battery.

I noticed at Xmas jam that my 661 over heated (had been running for over 6 hrs) and shut down temperately (I removed AA batteries and let it cool for 10 min then put fresh batteries in). I was unhappy yet I love pushing the limits of gear. This new rig should be able to power through even those marathon recording events.

I don't record festival often yet having a rig that I can hot swap batteries and hook up two data storage devices to allow for uninterrupted taping should be fun.

Thank you taping community for the support.  :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com