Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-22WL 2ch recorder with Wifi app remote control  (Read 69031 times)

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Tascam DR-22WL 2ch recorder with Wifi app remote control
« Reply #165 on: August 24, 2015, 08:23:50 PM »
I can see up to 30 access points form my home office.
Hmm.  You have to wonder what that does to your brain, let alone your DR-22WL!  As you say, it should be ok in the field but I rather wonder whether it's one specific and strong source of interference that's upsetting it when you are at home.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #166 on: August 25, 2015, 12:21:56 PM »
New bug-fix firmware V1.14 is now available on the TASCAM website.

The DR-Control app is also updated.    Android version available now,  iOS version waiting on Apple.

Note : this version only updates from V1.13, you must be at that version first.     The WiFi module update is now part of the main update, not a separate file.
[/b]

Hmm, I wonder if going from updating the wifi separately to being part of the main update might be confusing to the 22wl or the upgrade didn't entirely take?  And your unit was on V1.13 when you updated?

I haven't updated mine to be able to speak to the upgrade myself. 

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #167 on: August 25, 2015, 12:32:41 PM »
I was on V1.13 prior to upgrading.  The upgrade appeared to go smooth and having the WiFi upgrade integrated into on package made the process a lot simpler from an end user standpoint.

I'll try contacting Tascam/Teac to see if there are known issues connecting in a WIFI dense area.

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #168 on: August 25, 2015, 12:38:05 PM »
If the 22wl connection got interrupted before it finished and tried to switch to another connection in the area, maybe the upgrade didn't fully install? 

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #169 on: August 25, 2015, 01:18:24 PM »
I performed the upgrade off-line by copying the files directly to the 22WL's Utility folder via a USB connection from my computer.  Then disconnected the USB, turned the unit off and then after playing finger Twister for the correct key combination turn it back on and performed the upgrade.  All seemed to go smoothly and correctly.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #170 on: August 25, 2015, 02:50:20 PM »
Needless to say, I won't be upgrading mine after reading about the difficulty you've experienced.  Thank you for the warning. 

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #171 on: August 27, 2015, 12:35:05 PM »
Apologies for my laziness in not reading all 12 pages of material before this, but I wanted to ask a few basic questions, apologies if already covered:

1. I assume that '4 channel' means 2 of the channels will always be the internal mics, plus whatever goes into the XLRs.
2. Do the XLRs not have phantom power (I think I just read that)? That's actually OK for this purpose for me as I want to run SBD + internals
3. Is that 3.5hr battery life true if just running SBD + internals, no phantom (assuming there is any)?

If all I want is SBD+internals, is there something else cheap that does this?  I believe the DR-40 would be my best bet (which I've already owned) though I never actually tried SBD+internals with it....
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #172 on: August 27, 2015, 03:48:08 PM »
http://tascam.com/product/dr-22wl/specifications/

this link compares the 22wl (2 channels) and the 44wl (4 channels).

1.  Not sure of correct answer to your first question.
2.  The 44wl has phantom power for the xlrs, but if you have to run your SBD in through the XLRs (and not sure of answer to that since its tied to the first question), then you wouldn't be able to use phantom power on the XLRs. 
3.  The link shows the claimed battery life; I don't have a 44wl to tell you about what the battery life is. 

they've flipflopped on prices so much that I don't pretend to be current on the deals right now, but my impression is that a 70d would be in the same price ballpark of the 44wl, would give you two internal mics, and 4 xlr inputs with phantom power.  The thread on the 70d is so long at this point that it has pretty well been figured out by now.  Can't really think of any 44wl owners that I recall posting about it on TS so far. 

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #173 on: September 09, 2015, 06:10:49 PM »
DR-22WL firmware version 1.20 was released today as well as a new version of the DR-Control iOS app.  I assume there is a new Android version too or will be soon.

Here is a link to the release notes: http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/860/e_dr-22wl_rn_vf.pdf
And to the downloads page: http://tascam.com/product/dr-22wl/downloads/

The update went very smooth for me and I didn't have any of the WiFi issues that I was seeing with 1.14.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #174 on: September 09, 2015, 10:53:53 PM »
I updated mine yesterday and I'm sure the release notes were, at that time, for the previous version - I'll have to check now as to which version I've actually got!  I was probably the last person to download the previous version.

I got my DR-22WL out of the cupboard in order to record a short presentation my wife had to give off the cuff - it was pretty handy to be able to set up the recorder in front of her, then operate it from the armchair the other side of the room so that I didn't distract her I was fiddling with the controls.  Then for playback I streamed the recording across to the phone which in turn was connected to the lounge hifi by bluetooth which made it easy to check the recording in good quality.

Overall I remain of the opinion that this particular recorder doesn't have much advantage over the alternatives if you don't have a use case for the wifi control, but if you do, it's in a class of its own and pretty good value for money too.

Good to see that Tascam are still releasing firmware and software updates for it.

[Edited to add that the Android app has been updated and now includes a function which is completely new to me -

"- You can now use a XRI(eXtended Recording Information) function. To use this feature, the DR unit firmware update is required.
Equipped with XRI (eXtended Recording Information) functionality that embeds GPS information and settings information in the recording file."

The handy thing is you can update the device firmware using the phone app, with a couple of taps.  So now I'll update the app, then the phone, and investigate XRI!]
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 10:57:34 PM by Ozpeter »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #175 on: September 10, 2015, 12:20:08 AM »
http://tascam.com/news/display/2458/

"TASCAM has updated the revolutionary DR-44WL and DR-22WL portable recorders with Wi-Fi to Version 1.2. The free upgrade introduces several new features, including XRI -Extended Recording Information with GPS coordinates, auto markers around overloaded recordings, and other useful features.

XRI is TASCAM ‘s exclusive Extended Recording Information feature. When enabled, XRI saves information to the Broadcast WAVE file detailing how it was recorded. The file includes information on which input source was used, the gain setting, and whether the limiter or low cut filter was engaged. In addition, you can save GPS tagging in your recordings, passed through Wi-Fi from your smartphone.

Another new feature in version 1.2 writes a marker two seconds before any detected peak in your recording. This makes it easy to look for trouble spots in your DAW, and is especially helpful when editing together recordings made with dual recording mode. A protect feature has been added to keep selected files from being mistakenly deleted, several marker modes have been added, and the gain knob taper has been adjusted."

This is pretty cool stuff in the context of a budget recorder, no? 

As far as I can see from Google, this XRI thing is only so far implemented on these WL series recorders - perhaps it will be extended to others in their range too.  Is the auto-marking of peaks also a first for Tascam?

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #176 on: September 10, 2015, 09:23:14 AM »
This is the first I've heard of saving the xri information or the peaks. 

The 22wl would be good for lecture recordings.  You don't get a chance to preset levels so the ability of the 22wl to be positioned near the speaker and the ability to change levels via WiFi at the 22wl price point has no equal. 

Other than the few of us in this thread, doesn't seem a favorite at TS, though.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #177 on: September 11, 2015, 12:21:35 AM »
or me reading all this made me decide I did not want one and I actually located a new DR-2D which means I have 3.  That should hold me for a few hundred more shows at least.  I don't need the bells and whistles.

Offline dyneq

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #178 on: April 19, 2017, 09:57:44 PM »
Warning: long post...I'm bumping this old thread to add my latest experiences:

I picked one of these up a couple of months ago. I already have a decent recorder, but wanted to experiment with the WiFi control for  >:D. When I first tried it, I could not get it to connect no matter what I tried on my Android device running Nougat. I believe I have figured out what the issue is and wanted to share in case it could help others.

On the Tascam DR CONTROL's FAQs page (http://tascam.com/product/dr_control/faqs/), it says that some Android devices won't connect properly unless you turn off a setting called "Avoid No Internet Connections." My phone doesn't have this setting. So, I started searching around for clues and discovered that even though that setting isn't on my phone, it still will never receive an IP address from the recorder because the recorder's router is not connected to the Internet! Technical details here: https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/131132/force-marshmallow-to-keep-a-wi-fi-without-internet-access

I haven't tried the shell command referenced in the stackexchange post yet, but I was able to discover another way that works for me. I figured that since my cellular data connection was providing Internet connectivity, it might be part of the issue. I turned off my cellular data (Settings > Data usage > Cellular data) and BOOM the app was able to connect to the recorder every time. Obviously not an ideal solution, but I almost never need to use my phone's cellular data during a show anyway.

I plan to try the shell command eventually, and will post anything interesting here.

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #179 on: April 20, 2017, 06:51:48 AM »
Warning: long post...I'm bumping this old thread to add my latest experiences:

I picked one of these up a couple of months ago. I already have a decent recorder, but wanted to experiment with the WiFi control for  >:D. When I first tried it, I could not get it to connect no matter what I tried on my Android device running Nougat. I believe I have figured out what the issue is and wanted to share in case it could help others.

On the Tascam DR CONTROL's FAQs page (http://tascam.com/product/dr_control/faqs/), it says that some Android devices won't connect properly unless you turn off a setting called "Avoid No Internet Connections." My phone doesn't have this setting. So, I started searching around for clues and discovered that even though that setting isn't on my phone, it still will never receive an IP address from the recorder because the recorder's router is not connected to the Internet! Technical details here: https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/131132/force-marshmallow-to-keep-a-wi-fi-without-internet-access

I haven't tried the shell command referenced in the stackexchange post yet, but I was able to discover another way that works for me. I figured that since my cellular data connection was providing Internet connectivity, it might be part of the issue. I turned off my cellular data (Settings > Data usage > Cellular data) and BOOM the app was able to connect to the recorder every time. Obviously not an ideal solution, but I almost never need to use my phone's cellular data during a show anyway.

I plan to try the shell command eventually, and will post anything interesting here.

Hmmm...not sure - I run my Behringer digital mixers on internet-less networks with Android devices frequently and never have issues like that. (but Im using an external router)

The Stackoverflow article mentions - the "avoid poor wi-fi connections" setting.

Perhaps the internet-less recorder looks like a "poor wi-fi connection" - and avoids it in favor of the cell/data connection. (that seems to be the effect you are getting)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.131 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com