Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: V3 ?  (Read 7945 times)

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
V3 ?
« on: April 21, 2003, 10:28:28 AM »
One of the main differences  between the V2 and the V3 is how the trim pots work.  Though I haven't ever owned a V2, it is my understanding that the trim was a variable resistor, hence, the more you trim the gain back the more resistence the signal receives.  This isn't something that you want a lot of (i.e. you wouldn't want the gain set to 30 and the trim set -8, you would rather run the gain at 25 and the trim -3).  However, the trim on the V3 is a positively  configured.  Is there any sound degradation by running the trim closer to 10 than to 0?  Am I making sense?  This past Thursday night at the 40 Watt in Athens, things were dialed in almost perfect for me:  gain @ 30, trim @ 1 on the V3, consistent peaks @ -4dbs.  Anyway, just got me thinking because I could have run the box @ 25 and had the trim juiced up a bit more.  Comments?

Thanks, William

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Re:V3 ?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2003, 12:08:33 PM »
I was wondering the same thing, I don't think you have the same issue with the V3 even though you are adding gain, one of the things I liked about the V3 over the V2
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline schoeps t00bes

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 01:44:35 PM »
william,
there is no sound degredation with the v3 trim pots.  if you would have run the gain at +25 and the trim at +6 you would have gotten the same results.  check the oade archives.  i know michael has discussed this issue over there.
dave
Fuck MSG!!!

Offline wboswell

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2003, 02:04:43 PM »
Thanks Dave.  I found the link to the discussion.  Here it is:  http://www.oade.com/cgi-bin/miva?Forum/technology/showmsg.mv+message=2998

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2003, 02:07:02 PM »
good to know
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2003, 04:17:17 PM »
For cold starts I set it at 35db, and then +5 on the trim knobs. Gives me some up and down heardroom to start with, adjust from there.
In Tyler we Trust

Offline wboswell

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2003, 09:53:13 PM »
Kris sets the gain @ 35, I set mine @ 30.  We both set our trim @ +5.  As far as I can remember, I have always gone up, slightly, from the trim, like 2-3 dbs.  I would guess that Kris goes down slightly.  Either way, I would venture a guess that we both record around +37 dbs, give or take a little, and our tapes would sound virtually identicle.  That being said, I have yet to be able to record any symphony work, which should hopefully change, so I have no reference to point you to.  When I 1st got mine, my friend Jim told me that the V3's gain is a little less than what he was used to with the v2.  He said that where he normally ran the v2 @32 dbs, he was running the v3 @37.  I can't attest to this becuase I never ran the V2, but that is what he admitted to me.

-William

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2003, 10:10:38 PM »
I run at +5 on the trim so I can go up or down depending on circumstances.  Where I start off with the stepped gain depends on the band, venue, and my location.

For most loud rock shows, I start off at +35 and +5 trim.

For amplified acoustic, I start off at +40 and +5 trim.

Last Sunday at Peter Rowan, I was about 6 rows back (~20 feet), on a good sized stage with a pretty good soundsystem.  I started off at +45 (+5 trim) with the opening band and turned the stepped gain up to +55 almost immediately.  I figured I'd be fine for Peter Rowan, but his set was actually quieter than the opener and I turned the trim up to +10.  Go figure.  I never thought I'd use +65 of the V3's +70 available gain for an amplified performance!!  FWIW, it turned out nice after I compressed the audience applause and boosted overall levels a bit.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2003, 11:45:50 PM »
yea, I second the 40-45 for acoustic shows.
In Tyler we Trust

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2003, 12:13:28 AM »
It all depends on your mics, Mike :-). It's not the same for everyone. By the time you do a couple of shows in a couple of different venues, you'll be a V3-level master! I totally agree with the +5 trim setting, though.

Kevin

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2003, 01:22:44 AM »
FWIW, I find the V3 very forgiving of hot levels.  I've yet to hear an audible clip and I've really been pushing my levels.

And Mike, I know the applause is going to jack your levels sky-high if you're using much gain in your situation, but so far in my experience, crowd applause is transient/fast enough that the overs haven't been audible.  Just something to consider instead of rolling the gain off/on at the beginning/end of applause.

Have fun!
Roland R-05

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2003, 09:40:27 AM »
True, it does depend on the mics, when I was taping Creek's anniversay shows, I had a guy right next to me running DPA 4023 into a V3, I was running my mk4's into my V3, I was at 30db, he had to be up at 50 to get similar issues, so it also depends on how hot the mics run
In Tyler we Trust

Offline Trevor

• Taperssection Regular
  • 4021>V3
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2003, 10:06:06 AM »
I start at 30 with the trim set at 5.  Usually gets me close enough for the first song or two.  Then I adjust after that.

Offline wboswell

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2003, 11:34:00 AM »
One thing that I noticed about the V3 is that when I have needed to change the gain setting, I don't notice the "click" if I do it inbetween songs.  That is why I choose to start on the low side.  If I start out too hot, and have to turn the gain down to avoid clipping, there is a noticeable click.  Going up between songs is not noticeable.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2003, 11:36:40 AM »
One thing that I noticed about the V3 is that when I have needed to change the gain setting, I don't notice the "click" if I do it inbetween songs.  That is why I choose to start on the low side.  If I start out too hot, and have to turn the gain down to avoid clipping, there is a noticeable click.  Going up between songs is not noticeable.

Very interesting.  I've noticed the click stepping down, but have not yet stepped up.  Will have to give it a try to see if I, too, don't hear the clip on the up-step.  Thanks for the info!
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.118 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com