Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Denecke AD-20 Question  (Read 5531 times)

Offline Gary Hull

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • All who Yonder are not Lost!!!
    • CDR List
Denecke AD-20 Question
« on: June 22, 2003, 07:49:55 AM »
I own one of these and have been fairly happy with the results.  I had a question for anyone else using them out there.  Where do you set your gain knobs for taping?  It seems that I need to turn mine the whole way off, and then my levels are just about right for most concerts I go to.  This sort of worries me because what will happen if I go to a concert that is even louder.  I have no extra room to move.

Does everyone typically turn the gain off?  Would an attenuator help, and if so what would you recommend, the Shure A15, or the Audio Technica AT8202?

Thanks,

Gary

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • god-damned hippies!
Re:Denecke AD-20 Question
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2003, 12:07:22 PM »
Yep, you need some pads. I use the Shure A15ASes. -15 dB is plenty for my DPA 4061s + DPA MPS-6010 at some of the loudest metal shows in America. What mics are you running?
Armen

cpclark

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2003, 01:17:09 AM »
i have been running the ad-20 for about 8 months now and i run akg c1000s x2 and my levels are usually good from the 10 oclock to 2 oclock range on both l and r. hope this helps, this little workhorse treats me well.

Offline RobC

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2003, 07:40:03 AM »
I used to run AKGc100s>AD-20 and never had problems

now I run KM184>AD-20 and have to turn it all the way down quite a bit,  espically for FOB of loud music.

Last really loud show I taped (wherre it almost heart my ears) I may have clipped a few times but got no distortion.

I thought about getting some attenuators but I think the money I would wind up spend on them I will save because I eventually want to upgrade.
km 184 >v2> HD-P2, R-44
AKG 393, 392

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2003, 08:57:54 AM »
In my experience, you would need attenuators more for the AD-20 than for the mics to prevent clipping.  The AD-20 cannot handle as loud of a signal as can most microphones.  I ran this with 391s and with 210s and managed to clip the AD-20 on a few shows (Oysterhead, moe, Disco Biscuits) without the levels on the D8 registering an over.  It creates a brickwalled kind of sound.  You don't know that this is happening because there are no level meters on the AD-20 to alert you to this type of event.  Even a red light on the damn thing to flash when it is approaching clipping (a la the SBM) would be a great help.  The Shure attenuators would work nicely in this application.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2003, 10:44:02 AM »
Yep, I've clipped my AD-20 with both CSBs and DPA 4061s. Not too hard to do.

cpclark

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2003, 02:13:05 PM »
i've done several shows, although my c1000s's can only handle 137 db spl, ive been pretty close in small clubs, i did one like 10 ft. from the stage and i just reduced the gain, no clipping, i guess with some hot mics is a little harder, i guess ill find out my with new at 4051a's, they go up to 146. i think you just have to play with little gain on it and use more on the deck your recording to.

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2003, 03:04:37 AM »
-15 was not enough at Ozzfest. I bricked the holy fuck out of a few bands with the AD-20. Sure, it sounds very natural and clean for the cheap money, but that front end just cannot hack it. It makes me need to upgrade!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com