Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: mini me vs. mp-2 > minime  (Read 8368 times)

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
mini me vs. mp-2 > minime
« on: June 27, 2003, 09:02:42 PM »
does anyone have any thoughts about the difference in sound between running a mini me vs. mp-2 > mini me combo.  right now i'm running 480 > mp-2 > adc-20 and would love to replace it w/ a minime but want to make sure that there isn't a significant improvement w/ running the mp-2 before it.  thanks for any input.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Re:mini me vs. mp-2 > minime
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2003, 09:06:49 PM »
hmmmm....the mp-2 into the mini-me would be very warm, but I think the 480's are neutral enough to make it still enjoyable. Personally if you want a mini-me just run that with the 480's...that sounds nice from the tapes I have heard, why tote more than you need?
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline danmorgan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2003, 09:34:45 AM »
hmmmm....the mp-2 into the mini-me would be very warm, but I think the 480's are neutral enough to make it still enjoyable. Personally if you want a mini-me just run that with the 480's...that sounds nice from the tapes I have heard, why tote more than you need?

Agreed....shoot me a line if you wanna hear some 480>mme tapes.

DaryanLenz

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2003, 11:38:08 AM »
I would say there would be no improvement running the mp-2 in front.  The mini-me is warm enough, and quite transparent as well.

Daryan

marc0789

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2003, 09:18:41 AM »
Quite transparent?!? I want some of what you're smoking.  ;D I agree, though, no benefit running the mp-2 in front of a mme. In fact, too much warmth and tub. Just one more box to deal with, and you'd either have to calibrate the mme to the mp-2 at home, which is actually quite easy, or adjust the mme with the gain knobs, and run the mp-2 with the gain way down. Even then, you might have too much gain to run mic into the mme. The pres are very similar sounding, imo.

DaryanLenz

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2003, 05:22:32 PM »
I would give you some, but then I wouldn't have any!!  I think the pre is transparent...you don't?  I think the warmth is added from the a/d stage, not the pre stage!

Daryan

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2003, 05:29:42 PM »
QUESTION TO ALL YOU MME Users:

Do you know how long it will last when running it with 6v ecocharge batteries?

let me know asap! thanks

ian stone
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

marc0789

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2003, 08:30:48 AM »
Ian, about 7 hours, phantom on. More, phantom off, not sure how much more, though. Daryan, the warmth most definitely does not come from the mme a/d, having run it line-in many times. The sound is night and day. Nearly identical to an ad1000, except a little more resolution, imo. The pre sounds a lot like the mp-2, imo. Round, fat and warm, very forgiving, a little light on the detail.

DaryanLenz

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2003, 02:55:29 PM »
Marc,

I have a couple of questions, since I have only run line in with the adk, and only  once with the MMe.  Theoretically, doesn't running line-in go through the same pre stage (well, I know it does) and wouldn't the warmth be added running line-ion as well as mic in.  Your night and day comment makes me think that running at lower gain (line-in) must really effect the amount of pre sound that one hears.  I agree with your comments about the mp-2 sound...round fat and big is how I would describe it.  What pre's have you tried running line-in...and better yet, I just want to hear how you think the line vs mic setting effects the overall sound.  Since the line-in still runs through the mme pre, I would not think that running it line in would change the sound that much if running a fairly transparent pre such as the v2 or something....but  from how I read your comments you seem to think differently.  Finally, I thought that the pre side of the mme uses the same chip as that as the grace units, but it does sound dramatically different to me.  It is wierd to me that a transformerless pre design would sound like the mp-2 which is transformer based I believe.

Daryan

Offline iphone

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2003, 03:28:04 PM »
might be "transformer like design" both at the input and the output.i reaaly doubth the a/d stage adds warmth i.e unlinearity

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2003, 04:13:41 PM »
i reaaly doubth the a/d stage adds warmth....

Huh?

marc0789

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2003, 04:53:19 PM »
Daryan, running line in, you apply very little gain, and I at least notice a huge difference. I've run 4022>eaa>mme both line in and mic in, and you hear a lot of both pre's running mic in, but really only the eaa when running line in. I've run the eaa for a coupla years, so I know the sound. 4022>eaa>mme line-in sounds almost identical to 4022>eaa>adk. Running 4022>mme sounds a whole lot like my mbho>mp-2>adk tapes used to sound. Very fat and warm. I do like the sound, but running the mme standalone isn't for everyone. Hope that helps, Marc.

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2003, 05:06:01 PM »
well how about a quick poll (since i'm leaving in like 3hrs)...

my ad2k+ is temporarily out of commission. So, i'll run my mbho's  with an minime'
Well, my question is,  should i use the pre (ie phantom on) or use my mp2 for the pre, and go straight to the minime using it only as a/d

according to mark's comments..  seems like what he's saying is an outboard pre is better. (or atleast the eaa pre is better than the apogee, in his opinion)

well, if any of you are still lurking i'd like to hear your ideas on whether to go MBHO>MME  or MBHO>MP2>MME

I will probably run a few of the sets using the mbho omni's...

peace,
ian stone
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2003, 05:35:58 PM »
just use the mini-me, it will sound good, trust me, I think a mini-me and MBHO's is actually a perfect match.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

marc0789

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2003, 05:58:48 PM »
The eaa does improve the overall clarity and resolution, but is less forgiving. The mme pre is VERY forgiving of shitty acoustics, and would be even moreso with the mbhos, which are very forgiving imo. Now the mp-2, I don't think that would be worth running in front of the mme. More shit to deal with, and no benefit. Would not be more detailed, you'd have to calibrate at home or run the mp-2 at zero gain. I have some mbho>mme tapes, pretty nice.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.124 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com