Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 6)  (Read 116231 times)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 6)
« Reply #255 on: September 18, 2012, 06:51:46 PM »
2nd on B+H. I'll usually order from them unless it's a Jewish holiday and I need something right away.

Their prices are usually very competitive, shipping is fast, and their store in NYC is EASILY the most fun place I've ever shopped.

When I win the Lotto, I'm buying a first class ticket to JFK and taking a limo directly to B+H. :P
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #256 on: September 19, 2012, 10:35:38 PM »
B&h is great but you can get it or 250 anywhere so if you live in ny and ont want o pay tax try sweet water or someone else with a good rep
Example
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PCM-M10-R-Linear-PCM-Recorder-Glossy-Red-PCMM10-R-/390436944541?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Multi_Track_Recorders&hash=item5ae7dafa9d
250, free shipping, rep company
Musiciandsfriend has some too, so for most people you can find no tax and free shipping

Edits here is one with best offer
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-PCM-M10-B-Remote-PCMM10-PC-M10-Black-Portable-Flash-Recorder-FREE-2-DAY-NEW-/230850094735?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Multi_Track_Recorders&hash=item35bfbce68f
A few weeks ago he sold one for 230, others didn't show the price
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 12:15:34 AM by willndmb »
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline dunebug81

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #257 on: September 20, 2012, 05:28:39 AM »
I got mine from SW.  Not sure what I paid but that was over a year ago and I'd assume the price has come down since last May or June.  I bought an 8gb card from Best Buy for $30 or so.  I've never run out of space even when taping the opening acts or forgetting to erase the previous show off the card.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #258 on: September 20, 2012, 04:52:51 PM »
Tried the Sony M10 with Sonic Studio DSM series mics. I had bought the Sonic studio mics in 198? and have not used them in a couple of years. After hearing you can power the Sonic Studio DSM series mics with the sony from guy sonic. Don't think anyone but guy had commented on the sound and if it worked. So I gave it a whirl.

I did some tests turing on my stereo and running these sets of combination's to see if there was a difference in recorders and how well would the sony sonic studio combination work. I recorded in 24/96 and ran it back on a 24/96 playback system and looked at the results in wavelab.

1) edirolHR09 -> Sound device mixper-D >DPA4060
2) Sony M10 -> Sound device mixper-D >DPA4060
3) Sony M10 ->  Sonic Studio DSM series mics (no preamp)

1) In set up one, edirol had more mids and a more natural sound compared to the sony m10. The edirol seemed warmer then the sonym10. There was a difference.

2) In set up two, sony m10 was more natural sounding.  Better representative of sound for the entire spectrum from 20 to  20,000. Seemed more detailed thou just slightly.

3) In set up three, all you need is the mics and sony. Very very small rig. Easy to conceal. I have always thought the Sonic Studio DSM series mics sound very good. Always wanted to replace my sony D6 with a recorder that could power it. Now the sony M10 can. This combination sounded better then the other 2 which sort of blew me away. Th Sonic Studio DSM series mics are very natural sounding and really have a good frequency response all the way from 20 to 20000. There seemed to be more black in the back ground which was very surprising to me. Always thought the SS mics had a very natural sounding bass. Not too much but just enough. Very good sound stage. I really like these mics...

So I am not making any conclusions just stating what I observed. Pretty amazing the results. Bit buckets are not the same and Sonic studio mics in this config is a very good sounding option. In the future I will run 2 sets of recorders and see what the difference is in a live setting.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 05:15:36 PM by phil_er_up »
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

adrianf74

« Reply #259 on: September 23, 2012, 03:54:33 PM »
Here's an interesting issue.

Recently acquired an Ugly Battery Box to use with my B3's and M10.  I've noticed that when I connect the battery box to the line input jack that it seems "loose" -- the best way to describe it is that the right-angled connector seems to "slip out" easily.  I attempted using some other 1/8" connectors I had laying around and experienced similar issues (some of the other cables seemed a touch more snug but could come out pretty easily).   I tried the same 1/8" connectors to the mic-input (with the deck off of course) and that connector seemed to be a lot more snug (i.e., the cable stayed put).

Is there an easy fix for this problem?  My M10 is long out of warranty and this kinda p*sses me off because I'm afraid of moving the wrong way or the connection being lost during an important show.  :(

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
« Reply #260 on: September 23, 2012, 04:24:04 PM »
No Memory Card Error Message--

Here's a bug with that Micro SD Card.  Unless perfectly inserted, that Micro SD Card doesn't seat right and one will get an error message.  I have dual M-10s, and had no problem, except for my second one, when trying to insert and enable cross-memory recording.  Getting it perfectly inserted took about 30 minutes.  It has a tendancy to want to go in at an angle, so pushing the card in from the entire back side surface, with a fingernail or pencil eraser seems to work. 

If you look close under a good light, you'll want to look for one corner higher than the other.  It will still click in, but it isn't seated right.  Keep trying. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #261 on: September 23, 2012, 04:28:18 PM »
I've gotten very good at removing/inserting the sd card but its def a PITA
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
« Reply #262 on: September 23, 2012, 08:06:13 PM »
Adrian

I had an Edirol that had that problem, and for the past 5 years, I tape the snot out of the recorder for that right angle connector, including the M-10.  I just don't want any issues.  I also tape down the volume and every side and back swith on the unit.  Oh, and I tape a good portion of the screen and the LED lights as well. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

adrianf74

« Reply #263 on: September 23, 2012, 08:24:47 PM »
I had an Edirol that had that problem, and for the past 5 years, I tape the snot out of the recorder for that right angle connector, including the M-10.  I just don't want any issues.  I also tape down the volume and every side and back swith on the unit.  Oh, and I tape a good portion of the screen and the LED lights as well.
Thanks for the feedback.  I know taping it down tight is always an option but I'd like to "avoid" that if I can (especially when I sometimes have to bring pieces in separately before I record).  :)

I might just open it up and check the connector to see how it's attached to the board and how easy/hard it'll be to replace the jack itself.  I have some limited knowledge in repairing such things; if I can't, I'll see if I can get somebody in my tech shop at work to replace the jack for me. 

Offline dedhed69

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #264 on: September 25, 2012, 07:39:05 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I know taping it down tight is always an option but I'd like to "avoid" that if I can (especially when I sometimes have to bring pieces in separately before I record).  :)

I might just open it up and check the connector to see how it's attached to the board and how easy/hard it'll be to replace the jack itself.  I have some limited knowledge in repairing such things; if I can't, I'll see if I can get somebody in my tech shop at work to replace the jack for me.
Question
THe cable going from my 9200 preamp to my sony m-10. should that be a straight plug on both ends or a straight plug to the preamp and a right angle to the recorder. Which would be the better option. thanks in advance

All Bought New December 2012
Mics: Church Audio CA-14 [Cards & Omnis] with 5ft. ext cable for mics
Preamp: Church Audio CA-9200
Recorder: Sony PCM-M10
Memory Card: SanDisk Ultra [MicroSDHC] 8gb (class10)
Recording Mode: LPCM [wav] 48.00kHz/24bit
Mounts: Auray OLM-10 removeable clipps and In search of a Bar for a stand & clamp
Clamp: In Search of
Stand: In search of

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #265 on: September 25, 2012, 08:37:32 AM »
^^^  I think it depends on the direction in which you anticipate the cable might get pulled.  If that's along the long axis of the recorder, I would go with a straight plug.  Perpendicular to that, the right angle.  In other words, try to minimize the extent to which you are turning the plug into a lever...

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #266 on: September 25, 2012, 03:42:38 PM »
I super glued my buttons on the back of my m10s ;D 8)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #267 on: September 25, 2012, 03:53:57 PM »
I super glued my buttons on the back of my m10s ;D 8)

That is one way to avoid tape residue.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #268 on: September 25, 2012, 05:13:31 PM »
Hahahahaha nice :)

Yea I had tape over them but it left residue!

Offline dedhed69

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #269 on: September 26, 2012, 08:17:21 AM »
here is a dumb question that i should proboably already know.
when i set up a mixing board to a peavey amp  (for sound systems using 6 mics or more) the cables are shielded from the mixer to the amp. Is the the 2 ft.cable going from my  sony pcm-m10 to my 9200 preamp to be shielded too or am i just over thinking and i am not driving that much out in these smaller recording gear. thanks in advance
rig ca14 cards/omnis > 9200 preamp > sony pcm-m10

also can someone direct me or comment why i need cards and omnis. it seems most people use cards. is it determined on what you record and/or where you record?
Again Thanks and any feedback would be great
All Bought New December 2012
Mics: Church Audio CA-14 [Cards & Omnis] with 5ft. ext cable for mics
Preamp: Church Audio CA-9200
Recorder: Sony PCM-M10
Memory Card: SanDisk Ultra [MicroSDHC] 8gb (class10)
Recording Mode: LPCM [wav] 48.00kHz/24bit
Mounts: Auray OLM-10 removeable clipps and In search of a Bar for a stand & clamp
Clamp: In Search of
Stand: In search of

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com