Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fixed distance mount for pencil mics  (Read 2265 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Fixed distance mount for pencil mics
« on: September 21, 2014, 05:33:17 PM »
I came up with this to mount my CM3s in a fixed NOS configuration.  Also made a second longer version for 36" omni split.  This is just another variation on stuff others have done, but it works for me.  Hard to see from the picture what all the pieces are, so in order of assembly:

- 1/2" PVC, painted black (the paint on the omni bar came out much better - I overdid it on this one)
- 3/8"-5/8" flanged adapters screwed into either end of the PVC pipe (1/2" PVC fits 5/8" mic thread almost perfectly)
- 3/8" threaded rod screwed through the flanged adapters, going through the PVC and out other side.  About 1/2" exposed on either end.
- 3/8"-5/8" non-flanged adapters screwed down tight over 3/8" rod.  They tighten against the flanges of the other adapters so effectively you now have a bar with a 5/8" mount at either end.
- Mounted to Nady SSM-5 (A20 clone) shock.  This has a 22mm cradle, and with a couple small strips of gaff tape it grabs the outside of the PVC tightly.
- Latch Lake jam nut added to either end, loosely for now
- Mic clips included with CM3 mics added; tightened in same orientation using jam nuts.

Since the inside of 1/2" PVC fits the 5/8" thread, initially I was going to just use a PVC section with a pair of these: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AD4B  I didnt' want to trust the threading of the brass into the PVC alone to handle the weight of the mics and clips, which is why I went for the more complicated but also much stronger route of the 3/8" rod running through the whole thing.  I also considered just using a threaded short microphone tube (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/82459-REG/Atlas_Sound_AD_7B_AD_7B_Long_Microphone_Tube.html), but they only come in a couple lengths and for my mics and clips I wouldn't get the spacing I needed.

I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Fixed distance mount for pencil mics
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 06:56:53 PM »
Nice work! That's a slick set up.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com