Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Modded TD 150 or TD 850 should I stay or should I go. (Dust cover added)  (Read 7495 times)

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Let's say for all intents and purposes both tables sound very similar and that arm and cartridge choices are of more importance. Which table would you choose, the 150 or the 850?

I'm having a devil of a time deciding. I can configure each with either arm or cartridge I have and then sell off the other. I really like the classy looks of my new 150 but the 850 is rock solid and built like a tank.

Each table has been extensively posted here. If you have the time, take a look and let me know what you think and what you would do.

Posted pictures to save time!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 01:08:59 PM by raymonda »

Offline buckster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Modded TD 150 or TD 850 should I stay or should I go.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 02:29:26 PM »
They're really two different looking tables, so it depends on what "look" you prefer.  The wood plinth on the TD 150 is really nice looking, but my aesthetic pulls me more towards the TD 850.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 12:14:10 PM »
That's the thing. I like the looks of both equally.

I did a bit more extensive listening and, although, the Jelco is really a great arm, with my cartridges the Audiomods I'd a bit better. However, I could put the a audiomods on the 150, if I keep that one.

It is amazing how close these tables sound to each other, when comparing the difference in execution.

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 12:59:16 PM »
Purely based on looks here are my 2 cents:

Since I spin on my vinyl on a td160 MK1 and always loved the older look of turntables, I'd go for the 150.

That said, I'm not really a fan of all the mods done. Of course it improves sound, but IMHO it doesn't really improve looks.

I'd mod them the way vinylnirvana does: improving sound but staying as close as possible to the original look.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 01:01:50 PM by robeti »
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 04:04:00 PM »
That said, I'm not really a fan of all the mods done. Of course it improves sound, but IMHO it doesn't really improve looks.

I'd mod them the way vinylnirvana does: improving sound but staying as close as possible to the original look.

Thanks for the reply. I understand liking the original looks but my goal was not to stay true to the cheap plastic knobs, thin sheet metal top plate and wimpy plinths but rather maximize the performance of the 150. Dave at Vinyl Nirvana has done many different mods and has strayed from the standard looks, too. Beefier plinth, alternative top plate material and sans knobs. I think he has even done a few with carbon fiber and Origin Live motors. However, he does tend to stay closer to original looks for the majority of his projects.

My designs are more of a new take on a tradition design while maximizing sound performance, which to me, is more appealing. But I understand it is not for everyone.

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 05:42:24 PM »

My designs are more of a new take on a tradition design while maximizing sound performance, which to me, is more appealing. But I understand it is not for everyone.

That's great too, you know! Sound, afterall is the most important factor.

I'm just a sucker for the old design, even though it's far from perfect sound quality wise. Hey, I even like the Thorens tp16 tonearm with that huge headshell :)  ;D
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 09:37:50 PM »
A true Thorens man. There is a lot to like there. If there wasn't I wouldn't even consider using them for mod project. What got me started with Thorens was when I bought. TD 166. Stock the table sounded promising....which led to me tweaking a modding and eventually playing with the 150's.

Some day I will try a 124 and a 125. I'm just not really hip to all the electronics with the 125 and 126. But maybe I can't find one with a dead motor. I'd love to make a great plinth for it a hot rod it for high performance.

The idler 124 is another story and would be fun.

That being said, I can't believe how much prices for old Thorens have sky rocketed over the past 2 years. All models have doubled or tripled in price, making them less of a value for modders.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 11:21:47 AM by raymonda »

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 01:08:40 PM »
The dust cover came in yesterday, so the project is completed. Although, I will most like upgrade the cartridge. As good a value as the Adcom is, I want to push this table further!!!!!!

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
A Benz ACE is on the way. In the meantime I've experiement with loading the Adcom. I've found that 47k is not optimal and that 1000 ohms is the sweet spot giving it punch, drive and better balance. I was selling the Adcom to help finance the ACE. This was a mistake now that I found what loading this cartridge really likes. It just went from good budget cartridge to very, very good cartridge. Read, kicks ars and now a giant killer.

I think I'm going to remove if from yard sale.

Anyway, this table 150, is really a great table and the Jelco a very good arm, as it certainly allows one to hear small changes in set up and sounds good, too.

I hope the table stays with me for a while.

Any one around Ithaca is welcomed for a visit to enjoy the ride with me. Drop me a pm.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
Thing of beauty!  ^^
How many original Thorens components are left in it?
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
Only the best parts. The chassis, platter, sub platter, spindle bearing and suspension. The rest was discarded and replaced with new parts or fabricated parts.

Thanks for the complement. I think it is an eye catcher too. It is as fun to play as it is to look at. Pure candy for eyes and ears.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
Benz ACE is in the house, mounted and spinning. Absolutely stunning. The package is complete. This table will simply play with the best of them. Or, at least, the best of what I havexpected heard.

Again, open invite.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
Well, the absolutely stunning part of the ACE is the amazing bass and smooth mids. It is also a very refined cartridge, for its price. But after more extensive listening it does not compare to my Benz M.09, which just plans kicks ars all the way around. The highs on the ACE have a nice timbre but even after various set up adjustments and load settings, ends up about 3 dbs too low at around 10k.
So, off with it and on with the M.09 for some extensive listening.

Right out of the gate, I'm very, very happy. All the glorious extended and acurracy one expects from a top notch cartridge is there with vivid midrange, too boot. The bass is fine and I'm really not missing anything there but.......I'll give it to the ACE, from the upper to lower bass it kicks ars and betters the .09.

Trying various cartridges it the Jelco arm tells me that what my initial thoughts were are true. You will hear the accurate tonal difference between cartridges, meaning that the arm does it job by getting out of the way and allowing the cartridge communicate its voice.

I have an underslung counterweight on order for the 370 and hope that it will continue to elevate this arms ability. As good as the Regas are in the budget references department this arm might be as good and maybe a touch better. It is just as good and should be a viable option for anyone looking for an arm that does not have long green to spend.

I'll report back after I get and tryout the new counterweight.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 10:20:33 PM by raymonda »

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
Well, it is time to update my report on the. 150. This table outright kick ars and sings with the best of them. However, it has been sold. The new owner spared no expense at having me tweak the last ounce out of it. The new arm board will be made of two 3mm carbon fiber panels with balsowood, ala, sandwich construction. We are also put a 10 inch Jelco 750 arm on it. It wille complete by the end of the week and then sent off to sunny California.prior to shipping I'll take a few last shots a say goodbye.

Next up is a Thorens 125 mkii. Should be fun.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
I don't own any vinyl, but I still want one of your machines...  ***drool***

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com