Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 744/722 "Media too slow" Message  (Read 66384 times)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Re: 744/722 "Media too slow" Message
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2005, 04:55:03 PM »
I didn't do it either until I read Matts post.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline jmerin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2005, 04:58:29 PM »
I find it crazy, that this device costs over 2000 and it has issues. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2005, 05:08:17 PM »
and I'm guessing getting first laptop rig up and running worked flawlessly?

I've had WAY more issues trying to author and burn a dvd-audio than figuring out how to run this machine. 

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2005, 05:27:48 PM »
yeah i've been a little worried reading this thread but i think it looks likes issues that can be fixed with firmware updates(or at least i hope). I'm still going through with the 722 purchase.  threads like this one and others will only help us solve these issues quicker IMO.  The amount of communication and talk on this device here has been great! 

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2005, 05:34:21 PM »
and I'm guessing getting first laptop rig up and running worked flawlessly?

I've had WAY more issues trying to author and burn a dvd-audio than figuring out how to run this machine. 

As far as I know, some people are still trying to get a laptop rig running properly.  I found the DVD authoring to be the easiest part for me.  I bought a copy of audio-DVD-creator and downloaded CDWave and I had my first DVD in about 10 minutes.

I'm a whiney little bitch when I lose a show but there were a lot of good rigs in Philly and probably I'd rather find a copy of that split omni source anyway.  I agree these issues will get worked out eventually.  I've just had a solid rig for so long I've forgotten what it's like to be on the bleeding edge.

Offline wboswell

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2005, 07:19:47 PM »
my computer issues were compatibility related.  First dvd drive just didn't jive with my computer.  Then I went the wavelab route and it's finished dvd doesn't jive all that well with my 2900.  Works great except for a gap between the first and second track, then occasionally between others.  Then I bought a spindle of discs that my drive didn't like...  audio dvd creator is fine, but its pretty annoying not to be able to fast forward and rewind during songs.  Supposedly its going to be fixed in firmware updates, but not as of yet.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2005, 07:26:00 PM »
so for being tested EXTENSIVELY, what the fuck did SD smoke the day they implemented this into their machines, fuckin weak that some of ya'll cant even pull the music off your HD and it needs re-formatted every show :P

i'llbe waiting for something more STABLE :P
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline wboswell

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2005, 07:30:05 PM »
and those jb3's have always performed flawlessly...  right out of the box

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2005, 07:32:00 PM »
well, ya got me there, but they werent implemented for tapers either, these were, i mean, what the hell did they do w/them for 2.5 years :P

Offline wboswell

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2005, 07:36:11 PM »
obviously not enough.

Its frustrating, but being the first to implement any new device, you have to assume some bumps along the way. 

The most frustrating piece is not running back up like most have done with jb3 when they got them.  It can be done, but its not as easy as passing a 16 bit signal.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2005, 07:45:15 PM »
obviously not enough.

Its frustrating, but being the first to implement any new device, you have to assume some bumps along the way.

The most frustrating piece is not running back up like most have done with jb3 when they got them. It can be done, but its not as easy as passing a 16 bit signal.

im sure the kinks will work out, i really wasnt knocking on it, hell, id LOVE to own one, but damn SD had their heads up their butts on this one :)

i bet its VERY frustrating, all those fine 24-bit recordings floating around of them and theycant even be pulled off of the recorder :'(

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2005, 07:49:41 PM »
actually if it was anyone other than SD manufacturing this box I would be concerned...they have always been more than helpful in my dealings in the past and even now are not shying away from the issues as I have known manufacturers to do in the past.  Also, this box was not developed for the environment we use it in, in my opinion...that is one of them, but thats it...one of them...we use these things in bad circumstances, in hot arenas, in bags, running straight for ~3 hours...as a community, tapers are really putting this thing through the ringer.  And as stated earlier, as with any case where you are an "early adopter" you accept the fact you are going to have bugs....I am just glad that SD is working them out...

fwiw, I have had zero problems yet that werent caused by Tim or I...

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2005, 07:52:35 PM »
Thats you can't take a DAT backup right out of the 722 and that has been a burr under my saddle too but less annoying than this.

Yeah Bean, I'm a little disappointed in the behavior because I think they didn't do as good a testing as they should have.  Most of these issues reported here and also on the SD support site are things that could have been caught in testing.  Unfortunately, when a new product is late to market the testing usually gets streamlined.  I don't think I'm doing anything with the box that is outside the expected application of the device.  At least with the JB3, it was released primarily as a consumer level music player.  I think the JB3 has excelled beyond it's intended application.  The 722 is a professional model and should stand to a more rigourous standard.

But eventually they will get the firmware fixed.  Especially since there are 100 field testers now.  It does make a very sweet recording when it works.  I've been really happy with the shows I've pulled and not quite as quick to put the V3 back into the chain as I thought I would be.

(if I seem more forgiving right now, it's the beer talking)

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2005, 11:05:28 PM »
I'll be doing another show on monday. I formatted last night so everything should be "clean". I'lll let you know if I can get the data off the 722 myself of if I have to go back to Jonny's apt. and try it there. It seems like some machines (the newer powerbooks, for example) have no issues at all, while others (my G3 400 Pismo) can't do a damn thing to get the files off cleanly.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2005, 08:44:43 AM »
It's really disapointing to read these threads. I spoke with Michael & he mentioned losing some of the Philly & DC shows. I have to admit I would be FREAKING if that happened to me so I admire all of you for dealing with this but I would certainly make my feelings known to SD. It sounds like they dropped the ball big time on this one (if any of you actually want my outside looking in opinions) they took way too long to get this to the market at a premium price with performance issues. At first I was concerned I may have pulled the trigger too soon when I purchased the FR2 but fortunately (knock on wood) I have had no errors of any sort. To be fair, my friend John has had three seperate errors on my machine when used in a small club that we feel was caused by vibration, once we switched bags the problem went away. The reality is that we are all on the cutting edge when taping 24 bit, either of these boxes are ALOT easier than recording to a laptop IMO, I remember a few years back when Nick was taping 24 bit to laptop there was less info available & many more problems. I can't tell you how many shows he had problems with, it seemed like every show we did together he was having problems with that thing. Keep working through it & make SD aware of the problems. You are the end user, you paid for quality STABLE recording, expect nothing less. It will help all of us in the end. Thanks.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com