Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Why not use Rockbox'd Ipod?  (Read 7206 times)

Offline goatfarmer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Why not use Rockbox'd Ipod?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 12:57:44 PM »
IMO, the iRiver H120 is one of the most well built, trustworthy gadgets I've ever purchased. Bought mine in the fall of 2003 when they first came out and managed to pull some good recordings prior to Rockbox, even without levels monitoring. After Rockbox...well it's was a no brainer as a recorder and a damn fine playback device. Just changed my original battery in 2009, after almost 6 years of use.

This is one of those devices you just wished the manufacturer never discontinued.  :hmmm:

~Doug
To the optimist, the glass is half full.
To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline mblindsey

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Why not use Rockbox'd Ipod?
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 09:10:38 PM »
Get a plain line-in connector instead, like this:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=115762.msg1550982#msg1550982

Have that one.

Many report that there is recurring hiss one of the channels, or crosstalk.

True.  The noise is in one channel without the dock connector even plugged in.  It's pretty low on mine, so probably not an issue with loud music.  But, still inferior nonetheless.

I tried using my iPod behind my V3 with attenuators and brickwalled the hell out of it.  I have only done this once and I am not done tinkering (honestly, i wasn't paying much attention to it & didn't expect it to work).  I would never use this as a main recorder.  But, I'm not ready to completely dismiss it as an MP3 player & a back up to the back up recorder.  The battery and the software ran for all of Hill Country Revue and North Mississippi Allstars without failing.  I have a 9100 on the way; I'll test it with that once it arrives... 

Agree with all the posts that iRiver is a better choice.  I'm just messing around with the iPod...

--Michael 
Mics:  Microtech Gefell m200/M20/nBob Actives>PFA, CA-11
Pre's: USB Pre2, 1x V3, 2x V3 w/optimod, MP2, Church Ugly
Decks: SD MixPre 6 II, R44 Oade Concert Mod, M10
Playback: Grace m9xx->Sen HD 650, Fostex TH-X00, HIFIMAN HEXX
Mixing: RME Fireface UFX->Reaper/Izotope->Yamaha HS8

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com