Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: pre help for r-09  (Read 2393 times)

Offline pwig

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
pre help for r-09
« on: May 16, 2009, 11:53:37 AM »

I have been eyeing some superlux mics or possibly mbho's. i have an edirol r-09 and would like to keep running it as I also have the CA mics and love them. Is there a good pre to run for mics into the r-09 for mics such as the superlux or mbho? everyone suggests a ua-5, but since I don't have an optical in on the r-09, I don't think this would work too well. Thanks for any help.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Re: pre help for r-09
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 12:01:41 PM »
I run AKG's and Oktava SD mics into a UA-5 and then into my R-09 via the RCA outs.  Works great and I am very happy with the sound and setup.  Yes, there is an extra A-D conversion in there, but honestly, I can't hear the difference and others have said they are also very satisfied despite the extra A-D conversion in the signal path.  Unless I upgrade my recorder, this is what I'll be running.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
Re: pre help for r-09
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 05:58:20 AM »
Is there a good pre to run for mics into the r-09 for mics such as the superlux or mbho? everyone suggests a ua-5, but since I don't have an optical in on the r-09, I don't think this would work too well.

I assume you're stil running "low pro" and looking for something reasonably small with P48? Or is size not an issue?
Mackie Onyx Satellite has similar specs and form factor, minus the digi-out. There's still an internal AD>DA detour, but some folks say that hey can't hear the difference. YMMV.

Or for a pure analogue lineage, PS2>CA-9100

What is your budget? If you move up in the range of $500-$1000 you have a lot more options (Sonosax, Aerco, Wendt, AETA/EAA etc)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 06:29:00 AM by sunjan »
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com