Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M - Audio micro track - How do i set it up 101  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Jon Oskar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
M - Audio micro track - How do i set it up 101
« on: October 20, 2005, 07:04:10 PM »
Hi everyone,

Im new to sound, and definitely new to pro sound, after only a short read of some of the threads hear, my head is smoking.  The lingo and tech words are like chinese to me.  Although im new, im very determent and dedicated in getting good sound, so after some grate advice from some friendly people on some of these forums i finally have invested in some equipment, amongst it is the Micro-Track.
I am also using the Shure fp24, countryman B6 and the 416.

Now i am wondering if someone that has hands on experience could talk me through this as although i have read "Grate sound for digital video" and close to 100 threads, i feel a little stuck and unsure how to proceed.

How should i set up the micro-track in relation to the above mentioned equipment?
What are the mane issues and bugs to be aware of?
(Stupid Question) - if plugging in to the M audio ore the mixer do i have to worry about phantom power frying my mic?

If this has bin covered in newbie language in some other thread, could you please send me the link, and excuse this thread.

Thank you

Jon

« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 08:44:44 PM by Jon Oskar »

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
Re: M - Audio micro track How do i set it up 101
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 07:08:31 PM »
you will want the phantom power on if your mics need it.
Also, the level meters do suck on the MT...so since you dont have another level meter device, just make sure you are not running the levels so the red lights (peak meters) are constantly on.  If they are flashing red here & there you should be golden.
You also may need the dB booster on if you are recording subtle sounds.
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline Jon Oskar

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 07:50:42 PM »
Thanx plucks,
i don't know if you noticed but im running it through a FP24, does this still mean i need a Db booster?  Also what if i am sending a good signal to the M audio, as in, i do the levels on the mixer, how should i set the input levels of the M-audio, should they be all the way up?  For theater quality sound, 24/96?

thanx

Jon

Offline modmike

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 08:31:07 PM »
This should also apply to the FP24 --
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=52451.0

Offline Jon Oskar

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 08:43:29 PM »
modmike

Does this mean i need this kind of cable to connect between the MT and the Mixer?  Is this a standard ore do i need it costume made?

Offline modmike

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Re: M - Audio micro track - How do i set it up 101
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 09:02:12 PM »
Custom cables (you need 2 for stereo) -- several people here can help you with them.

A Shure FP24 is a Shure-branded Sound Devices MixPre.  It's an identical unit, so the same cables should apply.  Balanced line out of the FP24/MixPre is too hot for the MicroTrack 2496, but unbalance line out -- as described in that thread -- is said to work perfectly.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 09:08:35 PM by modmike »

Offline Jon Oskar

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 10:05:53 PM »
Thanx :)

Offline svenkid

• Needs to get out more...
  • Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 02:50:03 PM »
from what I understand of the levels is that if your running with the spdif in, the levels can be run by the preamp (v3) and that since its digital, peaking at times wont hurt the sound (ala a dat on a digital signal)
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline Jon Oskar

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 03:43:12 PM »
I made the cable BLOODYJACK talks about and it works grate.  I put the M-Audio's level control to its lowest setting, and did them on the mixer instead.  This seams to be working fine.  Also i did the firmware update and so far have not experienced problems when recording in 24/96.

Offline BLOODYJACK

• Taperssection Regular
    • Bloodyjack
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 08:27:11 PM »
Thats the cool thing about going in unbalanced the level is perfect for the MT and you dont have to add gain in the MT itself keep the gain on the lowest setting. I forgot to mention that in my original post.

Offline Jon Oskar

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 04:56:07 PM »
Is there a way to monitor glitches, skips or if the MT stops recording?  What if i plug the monitoring headphones in to the MT's line out???  ore is that pointless???

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com