Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Preamps that accept external clocking  (Read 7519 times)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Preamps that accept external clocking
« on: March 29, 2011, 10:34:16 AM »
So as I look around.  I realize that I want  (another)  preamp that will sync to an external source. Preferably SPDIF(coax) but since we are at it, might as well include all of them..Opti, WC & AES.  What it needs to be able to do is to accept an external signal for clocking and still use the analog inputs( mic) for it's sound source.   MUST OUTPUT DIGITAL( I am looking for SPDIF coax).  I know the Sound Devices USBPre2(SPDIF coax/opti will, I've used it.  from what I gather reading @ Tascam site, The US-600 & US-800(SPDIF coax) will set their rate according to incoming rate.  Same with the Apogee AD-1000( SPDIF coax, WC, AES)...And I assume the AD-500?  Lunatec V3(WC) What else are you guys using that fits these parameters?  Thanks in advance for your input.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 10:36:54 AM by kirkd »

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: Preamps that accept external clocking
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 10:38:45 AM »
The Graham Patten DMIC-20 can sync to an external clock.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 11:03:35 AM »
Will a V3 clock against an external source? I thought it had to be the master clock in the chain.

If the criteria is really to receive a clock signal from somewhere else, the USBpre2 is the only one I can think of that fits that without being a recorder.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 11:30:20 AM »
Audient MiCO
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 11:43:30 AM »
Kirk just get an HD24 already.   ;D

kirk97132

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 11:59:11 AM »
Audient MiCO

Thought the V3 had WC in and out?

OK another qualifier...needs to play well with a Tascam DR-680.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 01:13:44 PM by kirkd »

kirk97132

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 12:02:59 PM »

Yeah yeah...I know and I've been looking at 'em but I can't afforda 680 AND an HD24.  Plus it needs AC power.  If I could just get ahead enough in funds to swing it.   I actually saw one on CL in Austin for $600 :o  But even at that price it was still outa reach.  Either that or if you know where I can get one for $200 I can swing that ;D  Wanna go in one together? I have some other folks who might down for joint ownership.

runonce

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 01:16:59 PM »

Yeah yeah...I know and I've been looking at 'em but I can't afforda 680 AND an HD24.  Plus it needs AC power.  If I could just get ahead enough in funds to swing it.   I actually saw one on CL in Austin for $600 :o  But even at that price it was still outa reach.  Either that or if you know where I can get one for $200 I can swing that ;D  Wanna go in one together? I have some other folks who might down for joint ownership.

For the kind of stuff you're doing these days - why such the premium on DC power?

Seems like these big multitracking adventures get you all the AC a guy could need?

kirk97132

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 01:35:09 PM »
True dat.... but if I wanna go record something else, I can't.  Not that I do a lot of stuff where I can't get AC power but every once in a while it's all battery power.  So I'm not willing to sell the 680.  And sometimes even at the places I'm doing multitracks I will still have things on battery power. It just depends on the situation.  I was leaning towards the Tascam US-800 but I just can't seem to pull the trigger on that unit.  And I want to be able to use the spdif coax in on two 680's.  The USBPre2 allows me to sync them so I really could get by with a plain spdif output.  There is a great thread on those.  I was thinking hell if I do this It would be nice to sync more than two since I have friends with 680's.  Didn't really want to spend the 650 another usbpre2 would cost so I was hoping this thread would reveal something I didn't know about. 

The GP DMIC is out of production it's now a 24 and I'm not thrilled by the dip switches.

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 03:59:16 PM »
Hmm... going in on one.  Team PDX multitracker.    8)

Offline Taper Jeff

• Taperssection Regular
  • Live LIVE
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 10:38:40 PM »
V3 definbitely only has WC OUT

I agree with Mark Kirk...get a dang HD24. Seems a far better solution than Frankensteining several decks together that may or may not clock properly.
A lot of the gear mentioned here in 16 bit...really wanna go back to the 20th century?
The times you need battery power are few & far between & when you do you don't need to run 8 channels.
Just run a pair of K1s & call it good...no need to muddy up the signal with a bunch of lesser mics from your collection.

(2x) AKG C 480 B (ck61s, ck63s) > Zaolla Silver Mic Cables > //OR//
(2x) TOA K1 cards > Zaolla Silver Mic Cables > //OR//
(2x) TOA YMM cards > KY's > Dasilvapath remotes > power modules> //
Lunatec V3 > Tascam HD-P2

>:D "If recording is outlawed, only outlaws will record" >:D

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper:%22Taper+Jeff%22

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 03:55:52 PM »
Although the preamps are nothing to write home about, the MOTU portable line will do this... though they are geared primarily as an external sound card for a computer, they operate stand-alone just fine. I've done what you want to do using my V3 as master clock, and slaving a MOTU Traveler and/or Ultralite to it. The MOTU devices run on a variety of DC voltages, and work just fine with any 9v or 12v DVD batteries.

kirk97132

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 04:02:58 PM »
Yeah but I'm not willing to part with the 680 and lets face it the HD24 will be an easy 750 to 1000.  I just ain't got that much extra play money laying around.  I know the USBPre2 syncs clocks perfectly.  So what I really would want now is a decent SPDIF output the external clocking would be nice but not necessary.  I could just keep using Josh's BM2p+ for now.  and you should know better, I'm not gonna run 16 bit.  and you also know me well enough to know I would only run a pair of mics if I was forced to.  And I'm still gonna keep my mic collection since I do a fair amount of stuff mic'ing bands and most of what I have is great for that.  Besides I now have a set of the BSC1's too And am considering a set of Nak 300 clones that I could get cheap...but back to preamps......The US-800 would allow two DI inputs, not the usual taper type stuff but handy for me.   I"d ask if you wanted to go in on the HD 24 but I know where your at with your recording gear right now. 

I have used a motu ultralite before but not as standalone.  I have looked at them and the focusrite 14 & 24 too. 

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 04:06:15 PM »
As has been discussed, the Lunatec V3's has wordclock out, but not in.  So if a V3 is in the mix, it has to be the master clock.

The Benchmark AD2K+ and the Mytek Stereo192 ADC both have wordclock in & out, and thus can easily be synced to an external clock.  and both of those are very high quality A/D converters.

kirk97132

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 12:59:53 PM »
The benchmark & Mytek are a little more than I want to spend.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 07:49:07 PM »
First off Pre-Amp's are analog by definition so there is no word clock to sync too.   I think what you are asking is what AD's that will sync with an external word clock.

The non-Optimod V3 has wordclock out only
The AD-1000 and 500's support WC in/out/thru (the 1000 supports syncing to many different formats on it's BNC or TOSlink in)
The Mytek 192 has WC in/out/thru
The SD USBPre2 can sync to clock on SPDIF in (so you can link multiple USBPre2's, or mix with other AD's that can sync to SPDIF)

Only the AD-1000, SD USBPre2, and V3 have a built in pre-amp. 

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 11:46:41 PM »
First off Pre-Amp's are analog by definition so there is no word clock to sync too.   I think what you are asking is what AD's that will sync with an external word clock.

The non-Optimod V3 has wordclock out only
The AD-1000 and 500's support WC in/out/thru (the 1000 supports syncing to many different formats on it's BNC or TOSlink in)
The Mytek 192 has WC in/out/thru
The SD USBPre2 can sync to clock on SPDIF in (so you can link multiple USBPre2's, or mix with other AD's that can sync to SPDIF)

Only the AD-1000, SD USBPre2, and V3 have a built in pre-amp.

The AD1k is not only the cheapest but also the best at grilling.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

kirk97132

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 07:42:58 PM »
Everybody knocks the AD1K but with a little ventilation I didn't think it was all that bad.  I recently sold one off but only because the size was awkward.  I liked the sound and the feature set was hard to beat. 

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 12:37:55 AM »
Everybody knocks the AD1K but with a little ventilation I didn't think it was all that bad.  I recently sold one off but only because the size was awkward. I liked the sound and the feature set was hard to beat.

very true. AFAIK, Heath stockpiles them for that reason.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 04:29:13 AM »

I've fooled around with the Tascam US800 some but not with a SPDIF input. The manual states that in standalone mode it will lock to the incoming SPDIF signal. When used with computer you can set the clock to internal (and adjust the rate) or incoming SPDIF.

In standalone mode the outputs default to

analog 1/2 = analog inputs 1/2
SPDIF = analog inputs 3/4
headphone = mixer (all inputs summed)

So I'm guessing you could sync it with a deck with SPDIF out to gain 2-6 more channels.

I ran it as a 2 channel pre the other day at NMA for the second set, ran my Littlebox for the 1st. I'll post some samples in the next couple days (but it sounds surprisingly good).
I somehow don't really trust this thing...it seems like a really plastic flimsy build (like if you dropped it, it would shatter) and it's been a little finicky with my Windows 7 HP laptop.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

kirk97132

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 12:43:53 PM »
Samples would be cool.  Yeah I have had that US-800 loaded in the cart but can never hit the buy button.  since I do do some multitracking the DI inputs seemed nice...And since it is fairly new I was hoping that Tascam put the same pre's as the 680 in it?  But like you said it just looks flimsy. 

Offline RichT

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2011, 05:42:35 PM »
Another solution is to use a sample rate converter with the adc of your choice. I had a look round for DC powered ones the other day

AJA ADA4
http://www.aja.com/products/converters/converters-hd-ada4.php

and Z-systems Zlink96
http://www.richwinslow.com/projects/zsystems/zlink96mini.php

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 50 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com