Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Baffled omnis far away indoors?  (Read 7625 times)

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Baffled omnis far away indoors?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2019, 03:18:00 PM »
I had some really good luck about 8' from a trio, one meter spacing omnis and used a standing "menu card" as baffles. clipped the mic to the side of the card. It baffled the audience noise and also provided a really well balanced sound, both thru headphones and thru speakers

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 11:12:50 AM »
(The mk3 (now mk2xs) is the only capsule Schoeps makes that is designed for the kinds of distances we employ recording PA systems in theaters and arenas. And yet, I think I'm the only "taper" to have run them.  :headphones: )

all the DPA 4000 series omnis (406x, 400x, 405x) have switchable grids for free and diffuse field recording which would be the equivalent of having mk2+mk2xs frequency response in a single capsule

Also couldn't the same effect be achieved through EQ?

yup if you're into that

caps that do what you want are popular for obvious reasons. mk4v, mk3, 4018V all have that HF lift as part of their featureset

Yes. Because the difference between a flat-free-field and a flat-diffuse-field response changes the frequency balance for sound arriving to the microphone from all directions equally (rather than affecting on-axis response differently than the off-axis response) that same frequency balance can be emulated relatively easily with EQ.

Also, although it is not intended to address the same aspect, the typically boosted high-frequency response of miniature microphones designed for on-talent lavalier use as compensation for mounting under clothing and orientations off-axis from the mouth more or less resembles a diffuse field like response - one reason why such microphones work decently well when repurposed for concert taping.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline prepschoolalumniblues

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Scents and subtle sounds
    • Phish.net Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 01:43:08 PM »
Also, although it is not intended to address the same aspect, the typically boosted high-frequency response of miniature microphones designed for on-talent lavalier use as compensation for mounting under clothing and orientations off-axis from the mouth more or less resembles a diffuse field like response - one reason why such microphones work decently well when repurposed for concert taping.

I hadn’t put this together so I’m glad you shared this connection!
Oktava MK-012 > Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Plus Mod)
AT853 > Marantz PMD620MKII (Oade Concert Mod)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2019, 02:09:04 PM »
also the full sized "small condensers" i mentioned like MK4V and 4018V are eq'd that way for speech intelligibility use

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2019, 06:10:52 PM »
Exactly. A response "tailored for vocals" through the upper mid/treble range can provide something of a "diffuse response" useful when recording at a distance.  But typical "vocal tailoring" across the bass and lower midrange is trickier and can make for either benefit or detriment.  If the venue is bass heavy, the reduced bass response might help balance things. Otherwise it can sound "thin" and lacking bottom without compensating EQ or mixing in another sources to fill in the weakly represented frequency range.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2019, 01:12:03 AM »
Exactly. A response "tailored for vocals" through the upper mid/treble range can provide something of a "diffuse response" useful when recording at a distance.  But typical "vocal tailoring" across the bass and lower midrange is trickier and can make for either benefit or detriment.  If the venue is bass heavy, the reduced bass response might help balance things. Otherwise it can sound "thin" and lacking bottom without compensating EQ or mixing in another sources to fill in the weakly represented frequency range.

im very happy with the 4018V so far. the intended use of them is on d:facto vocal mic, where the mic body contains the HPF. i find them to be good when at a distance. HF clarity and solid bottom end. 4011s werent nearly as clear

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1o7t_AqKnpuYTdRF7muJLhFSyoDrbLPms

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2019, 09:26:14 AM »
^ I suspect they are akin to my Gefell MV94 cardioids in this way.  Love the clarity at a distance the response provides and they became my reference as center microphone response in the OMT arrays.  Can be a bit toppy when used close yet that's easily corrected.

Apologies for the gigantic response plot:

4018V

M94

From MG- The M924 is corrected for mid to far field recording, and is characterized with an emphasized presence peak (+5dB) in the 8kHz region. This particular voicing allows the engineer to aim the microphone at the source capturing greater detail, clarity and depth while capturing the diffuse sound field.

Technically mine are MV692/M94 (same M94 capsule, but with MV692 amplifier body rather than M200)

Offline Windwman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2019, 02:21:55 PM »

I’ve been speaking with Cheesecadet who has been finding success with this setup outdoors: DPA 4061’s (Matched - Healy Method w/ Foam Ball Baffle @ 180˚ - 35’ FOB - 35’ From Stage - 9’ High - Center)
[/quote]
OK, I'll bite - what exactly is the "Healy Method"? I've never heard of it before, and searching only turns up this exact post.

Online heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2019, 09:45:23 PM »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2019, 10:13:12 AM »
^ Done right!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com