Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: r8brain question  (Read 4773 times)

Offline strangetapes

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
r8brain question
« on: February 11, 2008, 01:50:36 PM »
I decided to give r8brain a try after the problem I've been having with Audacity (see previous post).  Now I'm having a problem with r8brain.

I keep running across an error message that reads:  .WAV is formed incorrectly and thus cannot be read.

This seems to happen randomly as it has happened with one set and not another from the same show.

For example, I recorded UM this past fri and I can convert both the second set and the opener but not UM's 1st set.  I didn't change a thing on the 722 between sets.

I thought it may have had to do with file size so I tried splitting the sets into their tracks and then converting but got the same message.

I'm getting pretty frustrated with this process so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Neumann SKM 184's; Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4
V3
SD722; R44

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
Re: r8brain question
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 05:12:16 PM »

I've found if size in the wav header doesn't match the actual file size then r8brain hiccups.  I use Samplitude and save the 24bit file in samplitude which rights the file out at the correct size and r8brain is happy too.

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 05:15:44 PM »
I am new to r8brain and getting this error as well. Any way to do the fix with Audacity?
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Belexes

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 10:06:19 AM »
<bump> Anyone know the workflow with Audacity to fix this problem?

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 11:56:36 AM »
Try same thing as rodeen, but with Audacity:  import the master WAV into Audacity, make no changes, then export at the same bit-depth and sample rate as the original.  This should result in all the WAV data intact from the master, but with a proper WAV header.  That may solve the error you're encountering in R8Brain.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Belexes

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 09:50:07 PM »
Try same thing as rodeen, but with Audacity:  import the master WAV into Audacity, make no changes, then export at the same bit-depth and sample rate as the original.  This should result in all the WAV data intact from the master, but with a proper WAV header.  That may solve the error you're encountering in R8Brain.

Thanks Brian, worked like a charm.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 09:54:59 PM »

I do this, but with CDWave, before I do anything to my Master file.  Make sure you save using the ALT 24bit format... 

I still use Audacity though instead of R8Brain.  No one or nothing could tell me how R8Brain was doing what it was doing, so I decided to stick with something that had a little bit more to it - Audacity...  Of course, I'm probably wrong on this...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 03:56:08 PM »
Audacity worked for me too. When I loaded the 24 bit WAV ito Audacity it recognized it as  "32 bit floating." I just exported the WAV as 24 bit and I was back in business. THANK YOU!   
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 04:01:24 PM »
No one or nothing could tell me how R8Brain was doing what it was doing, so I decided to stick with something that had a little bit more to it - Audacity...  Of course, I'm probably wrong on this...

Terry, what's the question with how/what r8brain does, exactly?
all r8brain does is resample files, and then output at the selected bit depth.
if the selected output bit depth is less than 32, it will apply a flat dither (i.e. no noise shaping) when reducing bit depth.
or are you more interested in knowing the exact methodology that r8brain uses to resample files?

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 04:14:57 PM »

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,51478.0.html

After reading this thread, I was curious as to how R8 compared to the other methods of ReSamp...  While R8 was very easy, I'm not sure how the results compare, and not sure if its the "best".  I'd rather use something with a good plug-in, or something that let's me tweak a little more... 

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 05:22:02 PM »

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,51478.0.html

After reading this thread, I was curious as to how R8 compared to the other methods of ReSamp...  While R8 was very easy, I'm not sure how the results compare, and not sure if its the "best".  I'd rather use something with a good plug-in, or something that let's me tweak a little more... 

Terry

well, that thread is mostly about comparing different dithers, rather than comparing different resampling algorithms.  while it's true that the r8brain dither was included in the comparison, I think you'd be hard pressed to find *anyone* who says that just a flat dither (i.e. no noise shaping) is the "best" dither.  If most people thought that a simple flat dither sounded "best", then I doubt companies would even bother to create different dithering schemes (like SBM-1, UV22HR, MBIT+, etc, etc...).  While I understand the desire of a good resampling plug-in for work-flow considerations, I think the best way to evaluate r8brain is based on what it was designed to do - resampling.  You could output a 32bit file with r8brain, and then go back into your favorite audio editing program and apply the dither of your choice to reduce bit depth to 16 bit (I'm assuming that when most people here resample, it's starting with some 24 bit file at either 48 or 96 kHz, and the ultimate goal is a 16 bit, 44.1 kHz file). so, the comparison would be the r8brain resampling algorithm vs whatever othe resampling program you'd like to use, but then use the same dither scheme to get down to 16 bit.

of course, that adds many steps to the work flow, and can be a hassle (it's too bad r8brain isn't offered as a plug-in).
Personally, I think the resampling algorithm has a larger influence on the sound of the 16bit/44.1kHz file relative to the dither scheme, so I generally just use the r8brain resampling and flat dither, because I think it does a better job of resampling, even if the dither scheme isn't as nice as some of the other available options.

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 05:36:31 PM »
While I understand the desire of a good resampling plug-in for work-flow considerations, I think the best way to evaluate r8brain is based on what it was designed to do - resampling.  You could output a 32bit file with r8brain, and then go back into your favorite audio editing program and apply the dither of your choice to reduce bit depth to 16 bit (I'm assuming that when most people here resample, it's starting with some 24 bit file at either 48 or 96 kHz, and the ultimate goal is a 16 bit, 44.1 kHz file). so, the comparison would be the r8brain resampling algorithm vs whatever othe resampling program you'd like to use, but then use the same dither scheme to get down to 16 bit.

of course, that adds many steps to the work flow, and can be a hassle (it's too bad r8brain isn't offered as a plug-in).
Personally, I think the resampling algorithm has a larger influence on the sound of the 16bit/44.1kHz file relative to the dither scheme, so I generally just use the r8brain resampling and flat dither, because I think it does a better job of resampling, even if the dither scheme isn't as nice as some of the other available options.

Interesting...  I may have to look into R8 again...  But for now, its just easier for me to do the ReSamp and Dith in one (two) steps with Audacity... 

Do we have a ReSamp Comp on here somewhere???  Here's something:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,92254.0.html

T

« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 05:55:19 PM by twatts »

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »
yeah, there are many different sampling programs, and I haven't done or seen a comprehensive test with them all.  of course, one of those links says that the r8brain pro "lin phase" option is the best (with steep filter enabled), while I've seen posts that many people prefer the sound of the "min phase" option with r8brain pro, even though it is technically not as good.  So even with a full, complete, and scientific test of different resampling algorithms, there will always be debate on which one *sounds* the best.

here's a comparison between the free version of r8brain, and r8brain pro (with all options evaluated) -
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,99469.0.html
so I guess mark that one down as another data point.

also, one adjustment to what I said before:
You could output a 32bit file with r8brain, and then go back into your favorite audio editing program and apply the dither of your choice to reduce bit depth to 16 bit.
r8brain actually works with a 64 bit internal bit resolution, and it allows you to output a 64 bit file.  so if you wanted to resample with r8brain, and then go back to your own audio editor and apply the dither scheme of your choice, you'd theoretically get the best results if you output the 64 bit file from r8brain, rather than a 32 bit file.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com