Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How much foam do you need as windscreen/shield with SP-EHB-2  (Read 3336 times)

Offline kylieshotpants

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
How much foam do you need as windscreen/shield with SP-EHB-2
« on: August 20, 2019, 03:32:33 PM »
Hi

I have these mics
https://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-EHB-2

that I want to use outdoors, but the foam windshields are too big and make the mics obvious if I cut them down to the bare minimum would they still shield the wind?

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: How much foam do you need as windscreen/shield with SP-EHB-2
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 04:42:25 PM »
Hi

I have these mics
https://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-EHB-2

that I want to use outdoors, but the foam windshields are too big and make the mics obvious if I cut them down to the bare minimum would they still shield the wind?

While I've never used these particular mics, in general omnis are less susceptible to wind noise than direction mics so you might be fine with a minimal windshield (or potentially even none at all depending on how severe the wind is). 
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 05:15:05 PM »
Grow your hair long.. or sport a generous wig.

As Heathen notes, the severity of the wind will determine how much protection will be required.  Experiment with an electric fan to get a general idea of what works.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 03:38:11 PM »
Came across this the other day and though of this thread.  Obviously rather obvious looking, although perhaps suitable in cold weather.

The Neumann KU100 (dummy head stereo binaural microphone) windshield:

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 03:47:22 PM »
Came across this the other day and though of this thread.  Obviously rather obvious looking, although perhaps suitable in cold weather.

I don't know what you're talking about.  This is my hearing protection.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Online lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 03:49:43 PM »
These might work.......if you're in Wisconsin  :cheers:
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 05:20:55 PM »

Gude sports his alpaca cap every once in a while.
It works great!
I first tried it in the mid-80's, when a friends band was playing a gig on the beach, on the side of a boardwalk bike path in Huntington Beach (a March of Dimes sponsored by the mile type event).  It was only a couple of hundred feet from the waters edge, and briskly breezy. No wind issues in several hours of recording.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com